Newbie Track Sets Recommendations

Kanpai Keith

Kanpai Keith

I new to N gauge and Japanese trains.  I’m waiting on a 3 car 165 to arrive.  I’m looking to buy some set track, I keep flip flopping between Kato and Tomix.  Kato is available in the U.K. but not extensively so I’m looking to buy from Japan.

Can anyone recommend 2-4 starter track sets to get me going. I’d like to buy a number of sets together to reduce fees.  

I bought all my track from Top Slots N Trains in Fleetwood and Train Trax in Lightwater. Obviously there are others, but my experience with them as been exceptional. Never been let down by either, everything in stock, very good prices and fast delivery.

Links for both shops:

https://www.topslotsntrains.com/topslotsntrains/manufacturers_final.asp?manufacturer='KATO N Gauge'

https://www.traintrax.co.uk/

I only buy from Japan things that is not be available in the UK and rarely is Kato stuff. But I'm sure someone in this forum with more experience will be able to help you with your queries about buying from Japan at reduce fees.

• Like 1

If you're in the UK and don't have a chance to go to Japan frequently (well, not that anyone has that option these days), I'd say go with Unitrack, cause you can get them easily from a store in the UK or Europe. It will come a time when you realize you're missing that one piece of track, and ordering it from Japan can cost a lot and it will take time to arrive.

Do you already have an idea of the layout you want to build? You can get one starter train set, so you get the power pack. If you want to build a temporary layout, you can get some ideas from the Kato (or Tomix) track sets and how you can combine them together. Or if you want to build a proper layout, I'd just buy the single pieces of track, but first you need to plan it using some CAD software.

Kanpai Keith

Firstly I was lucky enough to spend  time in Japan last year at the RWC.......didn’t by any model railway items.

I don’t need controls as I have some basic kit from OO sets.  I’m planning to go DCC after acquiring some initial rolling stock and basic track.

i keep jumping back and forth between Kato and Tomix.  Kato being available in the U.K. and Tomix having a more extensive and logical system.  I do like Katos double track V11&14&16.  But I’m sure I’ve seen Tomix doing “canted” track.

Importing from Japan is not so bad as prices are very good.  But happy to buy a few sets to make postage cheaper.