Joetsu Shinkansen 30th Anniversary "Suica" E4 Shinkansen

mr_bananies

mr_bananies

Recently I've been looking for an E4 Max Toki and ran across a seller on Yahoo Auctions who adds decals to existing E4 Max Shinkansen and sells them for more money. At first I though it was just some random custom decals but after some research I found that there was indeed a special version of the E4 Max. Here's a picture of the sellers work and a video of the train from 2013. 

I translated the title and here is what it says. 

In commemoration of the 30th anniversary of the opening of the Joetsu Shinkansen, Suica Penguin's "local wrapping" is E4 series Max. It is an 8-car train and is fully occupied due to the limited express train connection. 8-car train for Max No. 332 bound for Tokyo.

I'd absolutely love to get my hands on one of these but the seller is asking a hefty price. Nonetheless I'm fascinated that I managed to find all this stuff out that wasn't written out somewhere else.

l557047631.3.jpg

The decals are also sold separately, long ago. All the trains on his auction page are all with decals that you can, if you wish, buy and apply yourself, and all the trains are prototypical/have run in real life.

there have been many special E4, E3, E2 shinkansens. In fact there have been Suica versions of all 3, of which the E2 is actually modeled by KATO.

KATO has only produced 3 different E4 shinkansens, the original yellow one, the renewed pink one, and the cabin cars of the “crested ibis birth” livery. Tomix has produced the same, except their “crested ibis birth” Shinkansen was a full set.

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 1
mr_bananies
21 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

The decals are also sold separately, long ago. All the trains on his auction page are all with decals that you can, if you wish, buy and apply yourself, and all the trains are prototypical/have run in real life.

there have been many special E4, E3, E2 shinkansens. In fact there have been Suica versions of all 3, of which the E2 is actually modeled by KATO.

KATO has only produced 3 different E4 shinkansens, the original yellow one, the renewed pink one, and the cabin cars of the “crested ibis birth” livery. Tomix has produced the same, except their “crested ibis birth” Shinkansen was a full set.

I've looked on Kato Japan's website and could only find the Max and the Max Toki verison. I can't find anything on the “crested ibis birth” cabin cars.

https://www.orientalexpress.jp/hck-20200325/

Special event exclusive from earlier this year. The powerheads are quite expensive nowadays, if you can find them at all.

The "crested ibis birth" from Tomix was a Tomix Omiya Exclusive, back when the shop still existed. Very rare find, and if found, super expensive. 

You are probably better off finding someone who makes decals of these.

Btw, seems that there has been a limited re-release of the KATO E4 "Toki Mark" heads starting August 5th. It will be sold at the TAMTAM store in Omiya/Kamisato only, however. But they will probably find their way for a markup on Yahoo Auction if you want to get a pair.

Here are some more pictures if you need persuasion.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM351mY7Sowm5dWSMIb1VEw6aBDihcgZ447m-uC_KPJqpdTXdz1FsAjLiyEPcTTMQ?key=YndpUE9vOUVrMEt5SWV3M3BqQlBCVVI0ZEE0U01n

Edited by Yavianice

If you don't mind me asking. Where did you find all of this information?  Also do you know the item number for the decals for the Suica version?

On 8/5/2020 at 9:43 PM, Yavianice said:

Edited by mr_bananies