RevolutioN Pendolino?

GCS

Hi all,

RevolutioN is about to start expressions of interests for the second wave of the BR 390 Pendolino tomorrow.

Has anyone here acquired one of the first waves of RevolutioN Pendolinos?

if so, how was the quality, motor, detail etc?

Any feedback would be great. Really thinking about trying to get one of the second waves but at close to £400 a set...it’s a bit of a gamble. At least with Kato you know what you’re getting.

Guy

I have it, it’s a pretty good model comparable to Tomix or KATO. The only thing I don’t like about it is that the two motor cars don’t have an interior.

2 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

I have it, it’s a pretty good model comparable to Tomix or KATO. The only thing I don’t like about it is that the two motor cars don’t have an interior.

That’s a shame actually as I wanted to pick up a model with interior lights...hows the paint job Yavianice? Is it crisp and clear like Japanese models? UK models (Farish, Dapol) for me are a bit cheap looking in comparison...they’re getting better though. 

The paint job is quite nice too, I'd say also on par. I don't have any other UK models.

The motors occupy the whole car like with the Arnold ICE. So they are blackened out. There is no way to install interior lighting in the two motor cars. It's a waste to buy interior lighting, in my opinion. But the table lights look cool and make up for it a little.

Here is a short vid of mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh1S9B5kBXk

Edited by Yavianice
Claude_Dreyfus

Not sure this set of photos do it justice, but here is the Pendo in comparison with the Kato E7 set.

IMG_3480.thumb.JPG.225981eaa49a525cb57b9982eb9683e4.JPG

IMG_3482.thumb.JPG.0962470d1e1d55fc6cf8555d295a49e5.JPG

IMG_3485.thumb.JPG.68e767f25d82215926d60b6cae1ec0ea.JPG

The Pendo was certainly a significant step-up from other UK models, and in my option compares well to Japanese models. Others have started to catch up, apparently the Dapol class 68 is very good and the imminent Revolution class 92 also looks a bit special.

My particular example is the DCC sound fitted version, which is very nice. The overall quality is good (moulding, paint finish), and the sound is impressive. Yes, the power cars are filled by the motor, but given the windows of the prototype are darkened, it isn't too noticeable. To be honest, whilst I did get the lighting kits, I have not fitted them. Note that the train is designed to run as a set and intermediate carriages also serve as additional pickups, so if you just run the motor cars (both driving ends are motorised), performance may not be great as 50% of the wheels have traction tires adding a couple of carriages increases the pickups and gives the optimum performance. 

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

Just to add, mine is the full 11-coach set. The packaging is in two book cases, as with many  Kato and Tonic sets of similar length. I have only included the case with the driving cars in my photos.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
Missing words

Thanks guys, Yavianice that video looks great, and Claude thanks for the photos.

RevolutioN really did a great job, think I’m sold! Shame about the power cars but having full wheel pickup is a big bonus! 

Hoping they announce another run of the original Virgin trains livery, hoping I can grab one of those and an Avanti West Coast.

Guy

I’ve gone for the pride flowing silk and original virgin trains livery. Avanti was my back up as they initially announced they weren’t doing another run of the standard livery. Think I’ll pick the two up though 🙂 

1 minute ago, GCS said:

Avanti was my back up as they initially announced they weren’t doing another run of the standard livery.

"another" run? Was the full avanti livery every produced?

15 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

"another" run? Was the full avanti livery every produced?

I meant of the original virgin trains scheme. When RevolutioN announced a second run of the Pendolino they were only looking at the new flowing silk, ghost and Avanti scheme.

I can only really justify the cost for two Pendolinos so the original virgin trains scheme and the pride flowing silk are my choice. Avanti does look good though!

I see. 

I am also curious if KATO UK will produce the announced 800 Hitachi in Avanti colors. I prefer to have two of the same company/livery (not the ghost livery). And the Avanti livery is also a bit scary because they might not produce it in real life.... I don't want to buy trains that are not produced in real life also.

The "Virgin Pride" Pendolino is also really cool and I would have gotten it were it not for the fact that only one side has the Pride flag. I guess the other side isn't ready to come out of the closet just yet; perhaps it's shy?

5 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

I see. 

I am also curious if KATO UK will produce the announced 800 Hitachi in Avanti colors. I prefer to have two of the same company/livery (not the ghost livery). And the Avanti livery is also a bit scary because they might not produce it in real life.... I don't want to buy trains that are not produced in real life also.

The "Virgin Pride" Pendolino is also really cool and I would have gotten it were it not for the fact that only one side has the Pride flag. I guess the other side isn't ready to come out of the closet just yet; perhaps it's shy?

Haha well I think the pride one is that little bit extra special over the standard flowing silk, shame only car 1 has the rainbow but it’s still going to look great.

Im undecided on whether to get the original scheme in the 9 car with striped doors or 11 car with grey doors...so many decisions.

And were agreed on Avanti, for the Kato 800 I’ll only really be interested in the GWR (as I ride it at least once a week pre-COVID) and the LNER Azuma. That 800 series is going to be a huge winner for Kato.

A friend of mine just sent me this video. Apparently Virgin ran the pride with both engine cars!

Ill be making RevolutioN aware, much rather buy it with a double ended rainbow! 

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

The Avanti exists in real life but in very limited numbers.

Edited by tavora
19 minutes ago, tavora said:

The Avanti exists in real life but in very limited numbers.

It’s a good scheme, no denying it. Only two trains have the full livery though. Who knows what the fleet will look like once we come through the other side of COVID-19. 

Edited by GCS
On 7/31/2020 at 4:32 AM, GCS said:

That’s a shame actually as I wanted to pick up a model with interior lights...hows the paint job Yavianice? Is it crisp and clear like Japanese models? UK models (Farish, Dapol) for me are a bit cheap looking in comparison...they’re getting better though. 

Rapido Trains, the manufacturer, is Canadian.

Rich K.

• Like 1

Looks like we’ve got a new (and quite frankly amazing!) livery from Avanti, RevolutioN have posted it on there twitter so hopefully they add this to the second wave of Pendolinos if Avanti approves!

Guy

686C1462-49C2-4C8F-B576-A51808E84A5C.png

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

...only that this has a message actually relevant 😄

Lol, for some people though Disney is everything! 🤣

Really hoping they produce this set as I’m sold already!

Guy