Digitrax DT602 range of throttles

Ochanomizu

Hello,

I stumbled onto the new Digitrax DT602 range of throttles released on June 23rd.  They look great and work with all Digitrax command stations, including my old DCS100 and DB150 which are 10 or 11 years old now.

Finally, Digitrax produced a throttle with a decent colour screen and ergonomics.

spacer.png

Image source, Digitrax.com

• Like 2

If only it had WiFi built in.  Being Loconet compatible, it should work with any command station that supports Loconet.   It looks nice and when they upgrade it with WiFi of some sort (probably their LNWI module on the command center side) I'll have to give it a spin.

(Not color but my WLANmaus from Roco/Fleischmann works great with my DR5000 command station and is WiFi and is approx $100-$120 -- requires a Z21 compatible command station).

Hello,

I was thinking more for the Digitrax users, especially since the Kato decoders are manufactured by them and include Transponding.

You are correct, the DT602 range will work with any command station supporting Loconet.  I believe your DR5000 does, right?

There is a duplex radio version of the controller which pairs with the UR92, a Digitrax receiver that works over Loconet.  So wireless is an option.

BTW, I'm not here to spruik for Digitrax, but this is a product I've waited many years for.

• Like 1

We were thrilled to see those a little while ago.  We'll be going with Digitrax for our modular layout because that is the standard system used for T-Trak gatherings around here.  But we've always loathed how un-intuitive their original style handheld is.  This looks like a joy to use, and easy to remember how to use without double-checking manuals all the time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ochanomizu said:

Hello,

I was thinking more for the Digitrax users, especially since the Kato decoders are manufactured by them and include Transponding.

You are correct, the DT602 range will work with any command station supporting Loconet.  I believe your DR5000 does, right?

There is a duplex radio version of the controller which pairs with the UR92, a Digitrax receiver that works over Loconet.  So wireless is an option.

BTW, I'm not here to spruik for Digitrax, but this is a product I've waited many years for.

yes the DR5000 is Loconet compatible and I have the Digitrax LNWI hooked up to it so I can run phone and tablet based throttles, which are all WiThrottle based for the most part (ok, I also have some Z21 based apps as well -- luckily I can use both).

I wish they'd do WiFi on this one as I like this one but have no desire for radio based stuff.   That is all.   I like the Roco ones but am always looking for "better" throttles and this looks like it could be interesting (if it had WiFi).

Thanks for posting the original -- it is nice looking and I hope it does well enough that they want to do the WiFi.  They claim that WiFi is a battery hog but others make it work just fine (including anyone with a smart phone that is connected to WiFi all day).

Hello Chad,

You have a good point.  With the Digitrax LNWI adaptor WIFI is the future.  I think that's an oversight on the part of Digitrax.

Wifi throttles in terms of phone use have been an option at the local clubs here for a few years now, and our experience with them has been a mixed bag.  When they work they're amazing, but when the wifi looses signal we've had more than a few runaway train crashes.  I can't remember any lost connections with radio throttles, they currently seem like a much more reliable method of wireless communication.  While more functionality would be nice, I'm glad the duplex radio is still being kept as a standard.

The new throttle looks very nice though, I'd love to get one someday.  The light up buttons are a very welcome addition. 

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 2

I've not had WiFi issues with my Roco WiFi throttles.   I know some WiFi based systems let you use your own router and some will generate their own WiF network SSID.  The one's I've been using generate their own (at least by default) so maybe having the WiFi base station close to the layout makes it more reliable?

All that I know is that my house is full of things connected to WiFi -- thermostat, lights, alarm system, a door lock in testing, etc. and they all work no problem on a daily basis.  The only issue I have there is a complicated mesh issue where one node goes off line once in a while due to funny placement in a garage -- more complicated than your normal train system would need to have.

Anyway, I don't think radio is inherently any more reliable than a WiFi based system.  Both are "radio" based and rely on proper placement and creation of the "network".   Digitrax still needs to add WiFi in to their system (I am not the only one wishing this -- every other railroad forum I frequent has/had an ongoing discussion when this throttle was first announced a few weeks ago).  

(I am mainly belaboring the point in case a stray Digitrax rep reads this forum)