Curtains?

mr_bananies

mr_bananies

I'm currently making buildings and really don't want my buildings interiors to look barren. What techniques and products do you all use to cover your windows?

2 hours ago, mr_bananies said:

I'm currently making buildings and really don't want my buildings interiors to look barren. What techniques and products do you all use to cover your windows?

Honestly, there's nothing like constructing tiny interiors with tables, chairs, people, and wall coverings. But if you don't want to, I guess fine paper will work, like Bill says.  I'd be willing to bet that @Cat will have some tricks too, that I'd love to hear. 

Btw, please take pictures of your creations and post them!

Edited by gavino200

Velums and tracing papers also work well for vertical blinds. Mix things up on how many window have them down and how much. Modern ones also can go top down as well, especially on taller windows.

i agree with gavin, just a little interior detail can really be cool, but you have to get close enough to see in the windows and past a foot or two,some blinds may be all you could see!

jeff

No super tricks here.  Paper works just fine.  I've got a boxful of printed curtains that came with various Faller, etc. kits that always come in handy.  Plain coloured paper works fine, or patterns can be drawn or painted to taste, or just printed out.

For the current model on our workbench, the Mito O-Hara Academy, I may well do up a venetian blinds to print out to get super fine lines and a very slight tint.  That can just be a big block of blinds that bits can be cut from as needed.

Here's one of the Faller kits with the sorts of paper curtains from the stash.  The ground floor has a few blocks of plastic inside for shapes and a figure at the window:

GreyHavensStation.jpeg

Edited by Cat
  • Like 4

There also some free print pdfs out there for pulled aside curtains I’ve seen. I’ll look in my collection of free PDFs to see if I have some

and for sale (Lots with google seaech)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/659477411/n-scale-window-treatments

And Evan designs has a program to design your own for printout

https://evandesigns.com/collections/modeling-software/products/window-designer

jeff

• Thanks 1
maihama eki

Start by "driving" around some Japanese streets in Google Street View and looking at windows of buildings similar to what you are modeling.

I did that recently for building a house and found that a lot of houses had what looked like white or maybe beige curtains or drapes.  I also saw that the curtains were very frequently mostly closed.

I did a Google image search for beige drapes or white drapes and grabbed some images and placed them in an editor (any will do) and cropped and scaled the pictures to the right size.  I also varied the image lightness/darkness to see what looked best.  I copied several of them onto a page and then I printed them.  I cut them out to size and glued them inside the plastic window glazing on the windows.

If you have a window or two that are going to be scrutinized closely, it helps to place the "drapes" spaced a little back away from the "glass" using a sort of frame of thin card stock.  I think that looks better than having the paper right up against the glazing.

You can also vary things by having some drawn open slightly.

Here is the page of mixed white and beige curtains.

image.png.5290f08077893f582bc8ed32a49498b0.png

Here is what they finally look like:

• Like 3
mr_bananies

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I think i'm going to try a little bit of everything a see what I like. Time to get googling for some curtains!

• Like 1

Also drive around with google street view as maihama suggested, it’s always helped me get a good ideas! 

I’ll look thru my PDFs I have a memory of some free ones. Also look for larger scales and just print smaller. You can also print on clear overhead sheets (make sure to use the kin that works with your printer, inkjet or laserprinter).

love to see your results!

jeff

This (incomplete) building has printed curtains in the top floor windows. The sliding door on the middle floor has a tissue paper blind on one side, and a venetian blind on the other made of scribed styrene.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9
Tony Galiani

On buildings that are not going to be seen close up, I just paint the curtain on the back of the clear window with some acrylic paint.  Usually leaving the center area open so that it appears the curtains are half open.  And I don't try to get the paint to be completely opaque - I just run the brush down each side and it seems to produce a nice effect.  Maybe not for close up viewing but okay from a distance.  Quick and easy.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Like 4
1 hour ago, maihama eki said:

Builders in Scale has some pretty nice horizontal/Venetian blinds in various scales (including N) that I have used.

http://www.builders-in-scale.com/bis/parts-window.html

Wowsers — please tell me that somebody in Japan uses lace curtains!

Somebody living in a foreground house in Katsuta might use them no matter what, those are just stunning.

• Like 1

Looking closer at the Buildings In Scale website: for the rest of the summer, they are just doing one shipping day at the end of each month.  So I just put in an order, with luck will ship out this week.

The lace curtains were a great deal-maker here in the household.  Roxanne had been objecting to putting venetian blinds in the O-Hara, just because she has a deep loathing for venetian blinds in general!  But, with the offer for amazing lace curtains for the fancy house at the front edge of the Katsuta module and quality blinds for the O-Hara, this she could not refuse.
: 3

• Like 1