The Far Side

cteno4

For all you Far Side fans Larson is back, well at least doing some drawings and doodles and maybe some cartoon, not clear yet exactly what, but his juices are flowing again to have some fun. New site up with some classics, some sketchbooks, and a half dozen of the oldies each day so nice minute to get at least one chuckle and a few smiles even on a bad day.

https://www.thefarside.com

I have far sides as the cover for each chapter in my dissertation at berkeley as they were so dear to me and he hit some soooo close. Had to put the one with the guy in the doctors office with cow heads sticking out of him all over and the doctor saying “I’m sorry mr smith but you have cows” as the cover page for the introduction as my dissertation was in dna replication using bovine papilloma virus (cow wart virus) and of course the joke around the lab was always if we would develop cow warts! A friend of course doctored one to “I’m sorry mr Reynolds you have BPV”! and tacked it above my lab bench. Last page was the one with the humpback whale singing “Louie, Louie oh we gotta go now” into the researchers hydrophone as I took off for Alaska the afternoon my dissertation was submitted to go do humpback whale research — just too wild! They made it past the margin lady that inspected that it was all proper for acceptance after all signed off on, she missed the far sides, they would have gotten the whole thing bounced. Figured Larson would never take offense at the copyright violation...

jeff

• Like 6

Roxanne & I were in the UK long enough in the 80s that we're presumed to be carrying Mad Cow Disease — Moo Ha Ha!

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Cat said:

Roxanne & I were in the UK long enough in the 80s that we're presumed to be carrying Mad Cow Disease — Moo Ha Ha!

Every now and then I am accosted on the street by blood donation people, and I smile wearily and say that I would love to but I lived in the UK during the 1980s and therefore am prone to spontaneous lunar excursions, often accompanied by a fugitive dish and spoon. Or words to that effect.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Luckily BPV only gave the cows warts, not mad cow! Prions were just coming into focus in grad school, really amazing a protein only can be a virus and stimulate production in cells from the dna already there the allow a protein folding not natural to the cell to be catalyzed by the prion protein (that was in that odd conformation). Totally bizarre! 

of course the human variant HPV became quite famous with cervical cancer.

BPV got me to japan the first time In 84 for for the international Papilloma virus conference that was held in Kyoto that year.

remember, beware if doug...

jeff

• Like 2

Well, Roxanne did dress as a Mad Cow one Halloween with a plastic horned Viking helmet and a cow-print bathrobe.
: 3

Friends of ours regularly run blood drives at the local Sience Fiction convention and the Steam Punk festival we go to.  Sometimes they forget and ask us if we want to donate — to which the answer is: "No, you'll never get me, Moo Ha Ha!"  (We would both like to be able to donate, but drat.)

Red Cross is not know for swift action or attention to science. It took them decades to finally admit not everyone can float. Their stance was you just had to be in the right position and sinking was due to poor body position. In the mid 60s when I started red cross lessons (and my mother had been a Red Cross swimming instructor and instructor instructor) they would swear by this. At about 6 I knew Archimedes principle of displacement (hey I grew up on a ship) and tried to explain that if I don’t float I’m denser than the water and will always sink no matter my position in the water. That went on for many many years!

jeff

• Like 1

I tried to prove it to the instructors, I would go on my back and with a full lung of air I would be at the bottom of 12’ deep end in about 20msecomds and just lay there on the bottom until my air ran out. But no I just didn’t arch my back correctly! I sink in 55 degree salt water! I grew up on the water on a ship and have never fallen in by mistake and was never first into the water, my sub conscious knew I sank so don’t be stupid even if a good swimmer!

mom was pregnant with me in Antigua and could not get milk so drank evaporated milk so I ended up with like 100x calcium in development! Never broken a bone even with some horrid falls except cracked a tiny bone in the middle of my ankle with a bad twist with the doctors comment of “hugh, I’ve never seen that bone broken without the ankle being shattered!”.

jeff

• Like 1

I can swim and as a teenager did a lot of sail-boating on the Charles River through the amazing Community Boating program here in Boston.  But, oof, it takes so much energy trying to stay on top of the water even when using good swimming form.  Flippers are good, flippers make swimming fun.

In college, I was a Theatre & Dance major.  Some friends would go to the pool and spend an hour swimming laps.  I would swim one lap and be completely exhausted.  This while being in top physical shape with hour and a half dance class five days a week, plus rehearsals, plus instructing fencing, etc.

• Like 1

Yep I know the drill! Treading water for me for 20 min for one test just about killed me! I was a big runner when young and I could run forever but doing a few laps in the pool and done! I have very funny pictures friends took of me snorkeling in Baja once where I had a 3/8” neoprene vest and hood on, no weights and in cold salt water and I’m floating vertical about 6” below the surface with the snorkel barely out of the water! 

jeff

• Like 1

The Far Side is one of those things that is cultural.   When I lived in Germany working for DEC (91-93), I and the UK originating employees would get the weekly far side and laugh and have a good time.  The German employees (most of them), who all spoke English well enough, never got the joke.   Same with my neighbor -- they would invite me over and we would talk and have a good time and I tried to show them a Far Side (which was printed in their German newspaper) and they had to admit they did not get why it was funny.

And yes, I float.   I get better at it every year ...

• Haha 2

Yeah it’s interesting I’ve known some folks that just don’t see anything funny in the far side. To me it just spoke down to my soul’s funny bone. Goes to say I’ve been given the complete collection volumes 3 times now...

jeff

Allegheny1600

Many thanks, Jeff!

These are brilliant, I love them and I’m so pleased that Gary is back creating again, yippee.

Cheers,

John 

John,

sadly it seems not much has been happening, but his reappearance was just pre covid so I’m sure that may have really put a crimp in his new stuff. Every few months a couple more roll on his new stuff page, but slow. At least the classics still make me laugh even though I’ve seen them dozens of times. He is an extremely rare and wonderful talent for his humor and look at life. 

jeff

• Like 2