C62 locomotive Scale drawings?

BlaxlandAlex3

BlaxlandAlex3

Hi, I joined today because I am looking to tackle a big project. I want to scratchbuild a C62 class locomotive. I'm not looking to do it in any particular scale, but I do think I need dimensions. Does anybody have or know where I could find C62 drawings or blueprints? Thank you in advance!

Greetings from Florida!

Alex

hide7072001
BlaxlandAlex3

Hi! Thank you! Searching Google in Japanese yielded many great results. I downloaded many images. They will help a lot. Thanks again!

On a side note, I am not sure if I will document my progress (when it becomes, that is :P) here or on another forum. I think I'll do it here, as it is more appropriate.

• Like 1

That would be a fun project to watch. kevsmiththai has documented a few of his scratch builds here and been grand to watch come together and him share is scratch building techniques!

cheers

jeff

kevsmiththai

Hi Blaxland.

Welcome to the forum

I've got some really nice 1/80th scale drawings of the C62. Left and right hand views and end elevations of the loco and tender if it helps and some of detail pictures. I'll sort them out tomorrow and see what the file sizes are and if you wish I'll send them to your email address if you let me have it

I've got two Tenshodo ones running on my z scale layout and they always look great running at shows

regards

kev

• Thanks 1
BlaxlandAlex3

Thanks for all the kind words and info. I usually just model American ho scale, but I'd like to put my abilities to the test with this project. I want to make GE 999 (Typical, I know). As stated I have many ongoing projects which you can also see here: http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19820

I also have my model railroad series which I have been working on for a very long time. You can find info on that at my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/c/BlaxlandRidge3

So with all that in mind I am not sure when I will get to making the C62. With me still in school and summer almost over, only time will tell! I'm assuming the first step will be to get a correct diameter pvc pipe for the boiler. I intend to make the other parts out of cardboard. 

Kevsmiththai, I'd appreciate it. Anything helps.

Thanks guys! ^^

BlaxlandAlex3

So I never received an email from kev, but I'll give him some more time. In the meantime I found a NYC Hudson plastic kit, which is a 4-6-4, like the C62. Does anybody have some C62 ho scale drawings just in case I decide to go that route?  

Martijn Meerts

I don't have any H0 scale drawings, but the 1/24 scale kit I have is from DeAgostini, who deliver the kit in weekly installments, where you got a booklet of information, and a set of parts. The booklets contain a LOT of information on a variety of Japanese steam locomotives, and of course a LOT of information on the C62. I do believe there are various schematics, but I can't say whether they contain any measurements. It's been a while since I looked a them, and of course, they're in Japanese. Also, even if there are measurements, if you just scale them down, you won't be able to run it on H0 track, since it'd be 12mm gauge rather than 16.5mm gauge.

kevsmiththai

Hello

I had a bit of trouble finding them as I store a lot of stuff on 'Cold drives' HDDs disconnected from the system in case I get malwared

Jeff will forward them on to you soon

Cheers

Kev

• Like 1
BlaxlandAlex3

Thanks kev received the drawings.

1. Yep, I'm aware of the narrower gauge of track, but I'd be willing to sacrifice that just to have a C62 in my collection. We could say it was regauged for my railroad 😜
Edited by BlaxlandAlex3
shadowtiger25
On 7/17/2020 at 4:03 PM, kevsmiththai said:

Hi Blaxland.

Welcome to the forum

I've got some really nice 1/80th scale drawings of the C62. Left and right hand views and end elevations of the loco and tender if it helps and some of detail pictures. I'll sort them out tomorrow and see what the file sizes are and if you wish I'll send them to your email address if you let me have it

I've got two Tenshodo ones running on my z scale layout and they always look great running at shows

regards

kev

one day I hope to scratch build one in HO, is there anyway I may be able to receive those as well?

• Like 1
shadowtiger25

I dont yet have any experience with brass.

I have a couple of small brass kits, but have not yet put them togther 

BlaxlandAlex3

I meant that in the sense we could share our tips and tricks with each other. I wouldn't be doing it out of brass, most likely plastic.

Hey Alex.  1/80 is the Japanese standard for HO.  This is because most Japanese rolling stock runs on narrow gauge track, so in this size the trains look properly scaled to HO track.  Any coaches or freight cars you get commercially should be in 1/80 as well.  The shinkansen will be to 1/87, but that is because they run on standard gauge track.

These are the actual dimensions in the diagram so for 1/80 scale you would just divide all the measurements by 80 to get the scale size.

Jeff

• Like 1
BlaxlandAlex3

I realized they are 1/80 because of the smaller scale, but when I held another similar loco up to the picture, it looked, so, well, small. How big really was this thing? I thought it was a fairly large locomotive but perhaps I was wrong. Does anybody have an HO C62 to compare with another model? I was thinking I could possibly make an HO C62 with parts from a mantua/tyco 4-6-2. (With obvious and numerous modifications) but the drivers look too large for it. Thoughts? 

I've got this teeny weeny ML-8 industrial switcher that is by far my smallest locomotive, but it's cab is as tall as the boiler, and I don't think that's right lol

Edited by BlaxlandAlex3

Well I doubt the drawing is to ho scale it’s just scale drawing of the real thing with real sized measurements on it in mm.

This loco and tender in 1/80 is about 27cm long for both together.

at 

BlaxlandAlex3
3 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Well I doubt the drawing is to ho scale it’s just scale drawing of the real thing with real sized measurements on it in mm.

This loco and tender in 1/80 is about 27cm long for both together.

at 

Well the loco in this drawing looks to be 21 cm long from coupler to coupler,,, I'm so confused. can somebody please scale it up to the proper size or give me some other information I should know to do this(?)

The drawing is not done to 1/80 scale. If the drawing is 21 cm long it’s a bit smaller than 1/80.

total real length from the measurements is 21475mm and on the drawing is 210mm so the scale of the drawing printed is roughly 1/100 scale (210/21475).

So you can just measure any bit on the drawing and multiply it by 1.25 to get the size in 1/80 scale within a couple percent.

if you want the 1/80 multiplier for measurements off the drawing as is precise as possible the it would be  

multiplier = 268.4 / (exact coupler to coupler measurement on drawing)

jeff