TOMIX E5 Shinkansen Lost Stock

AhmadKane

A buddy of mine took a picture of the tomix basic set he got. Apparently when he moved he lost a lot of the important bits, of which, is the end carriage of the Hayabusa E5 Shinkansen. (This is a picture I took at his home, don't sue me)

109004718_330809077931784_5469459076409318510_n.thumb.jpg.236e0c5e7d386db420bfdbe7953049e3.jpg

I find there is little if not anyone that sells the back. The only thing I could come close is the first museum car. Released by Tomix. That being said, I'd have to attach an extra coupler to this one if he decides to bring it to me for service/completion. 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10599205/20/3

I never seen the museum car, I've seen the diecast sold in bento shops at JR stations. But they don't have don't have movable bogies. I think this is a lost cause, but maybe you guys could shed some light. 

FYI: He doesn't have a controller or a full loop. But I could definitely oblige if he were to bring it to service. 

Unlikely to find this on a website but you would find a replacement at places like Hobby Land Pochi in various locations around Japan. Often they have baskets full of broken up sets (no boxes) but not always exactly what you’re looking for. Obviously way too much coming and going to list effectively on a central website.

The one in Hakata is very hit and miss depending on what you want. Sometimes they have a good amount of HO and always lots of N, most of which tends to be local interest Kyushu related stock. I have passed on a lot of the HO as some people’s idea of weathering  is atrocious. (Apply brown paint to train!)

The pristine stock can sometimes be expensive, even more so than new if it’s been out of production for a while. I found a N gauge Kato Kiha 91 (10-1386) set I have wanted, but they were asking ¥40,000 when it has only about ¥25,000 from new. No lighting or DCC added to warrant any price increase other than its lack of availability.

I think it’s a case of buy a new set online and have spares or take a trip to Japan once that again becomes possible. 

If all else fails, these could make a nice Shinkansen workshop scene on a layout.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Kamome said:

If all else fails, these could make a nice Shinkansen workshop scene on a layout.

If the set was an E7/W7 they'd be just right for a flooded yard diorama...

Individual cars come up on Yahoo Auctions a fair bit, check for "e5 セットばらし".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I take it then that the TOMIX museum car won't be a suitable replacement for this?. If all it takes is to replace the bogie and add some couplers, then I'm completely ok with it. 

8 hours ago, Kamome said:

That's true. I wanna try to buy it off him for it since he seems to be so desperate and defeated in completing the set. What I actually had in mind is a restaurant, those train restaurants in which you refurbish old carriages or commuters and create good restaurants on it? The idea would be to get some LED lighting for the unmotorized carriage, and perhaps set up the figures and the interior for it.

I don't know what to do with the motorized chassis tho. There's not much trains that you can make from such a long wheelbase. 

I have the museum one. It looks like you can add a coupler. You'll need to take out the "block" that they screwed into the bogie to click the car onto the track. You'll need to shorten the screw then as well. I can post a pic when i get home later.

• Like 1

As promised, here are some pics. 

2054981444_IMG_1441Kopie.thumb.jpg.510024b2d11eb3b52f03564d3c10e67b.jpg

379760149_IMG_1444Kopie.thumb.jpg.07ea4c00d33c0e741184e36b4b00cea5.jpg

1654989481_IMG_1443Kopie.thumb.jpg.c39b631c6f4ce938e1bedf2b3cc5057d.jpg

2044933299_IMG_1447Kopie.thumb.jpg.cf18819521eaae2f9f3e58c7be740c34.jpg

Looks like you'd just need a coupler, a shorter screw and maybe a shim.

Power pick-up, springs, etc... are there and working. 

Edited by kami_illy