Hambal

Kato N Gauge Hong Kong-Canton Railway

Hambal
Posted (edited)

Hi everyone.

I am rather excited to join this forum especially to learn about the latest developments in Kato N Gauge models. I bought a 2nd train model set in London in 2003 (my 1st set Tomix was bought in Tokyo in 1985). My Kato locomotive (the Hong Kong Kowloon-Canton Railway ktt Double-deck Through Train 'Hong Kong-Guangzhou' Precision Motor Train Model N Gauge 3 Car Set - Item No:99044 Special Limited Edition 2000 pieces) recently was damaged due to short circuiting. Anyone out there can suggest on how I can repair OR replace its locomotive ?.

20200713_173446-Kato Locomotive.jpg

Edited by Hambal
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 4

Yavianice
Posted (edited)

The locomotive is the same as the KATO SBB RE460. Spare parts should be "somewhat" easy to get, and everything under the hood is interchangable. Ask your KATO representative/retailer to help out. If you are desperate, you could even purchase a brand new SBB RE460 and just exchange the shell and couplers.

The parts that are not replaceable is the shell or the couplers on the loco. Be mindful that you do not damage those. This train is almost impossible to obtain, let alone for a good price, and replacement parts are long long long gone. Trust me, I tried.

Edited by Yavianice

Cat

Welcome; and good luck, that's a very pretty locomotive!

cteno4

Welcome, glad you found us!

have you tried opening the engine up at all? As long as you are gentle removing the shell if the mech is shot anyway then worth at least poking around to see what you can find. Do you know any other train folks in your area at all? If so ask around someone may be willing to open it up and see if it’s repairable. When you say short circuit, what exactly happened when it stopped working?

jeff

Nozomi329

There are a lot of stuff that could be damaged in a locomotive. What's the symptom after the short circuit? Do the lights work? Any burnt smell? Have you ever modified it? DCC installed?

If you're uncertain of how to take the shell off without damage, we could try to think about what might be damaged from these symptoms, although the best way is still to take it apart.