Riding the rollercoaster in the new normality

railsquid

Martijn Meerts

To be fair, this thing is pretty fast. It hasn't aged incredibly well either, it's not a smooth ride at all 😄

• Haha 1

As a child, I would have screamed murder if anyone tried to bring me on the Cyclone here at Revere Beach.  No really that thing was a killer — quite old with parts regularly falling off, and occasional passengers too!  When it was built, losing riders was a feature, in the 1920s a ride's popularity would go up after a death; they took their thrill-seeking quite seriously back then.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_(Revere_Beach)

• Like 1

I remember at the age of like 7 wanting to go on a large rollercoaster and I was just a tad short to go by myself and only there with my 68 year old grandmother! Well being the doting grandmother of her only grandchild, she took me on it, she had never been on a roller coaster in her life! I remember looking over at her during one of the rapid falls and she was full braced back, white knuckle grip on the rails, purse flying back over her shoulder on the strap, and her hair (usually done in tight buns) was trailing out like a bride of Frankenstein hairdo. Total far side cartoon! She survived but I always worried the experience took a few months off her life!

jeff

• Haha 5
Martijn Meerts

I love roller coaster, the crazier, the better. Or, so I thought.. I think age has made me a bit apprehensive of them. I'll still ride them, but a lot of them are getting taller and taller, and I'm not that great with heights 🙂

I love the heights, but I've found that as I got older I got a bit more whiplash and that sort of sucked the fun out of it.

Hahaha and they both seemed to be president of Fujikyu? Not many times you see a man ride a roller coaster in a suit ~  🙂

The Abenomask is evidently not holding up as well  as the Fujikyu one, with the president having to worry alot of it flying off and at many times exposing his nose....  And of course the Fujikyu ones looked much cooler! 

I dislike rides, but i would love to go there just so i can ride on the Evangelion tour buses, or to get some nice Tomytec limited edition Fujikyu bus models!  🙂

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 1
Martijn Meerts

When I was there, it was late February. The day started really good, so I decided to just wear a shirt and jacket. Of course, my wallet and passport and all that was in my jacket pockets, but for most rides they wanted you to leave your belongings in a locker. Rather than remove the items, I just stuffed my jacket in the lockers instead.

I can confirm that riding a high speed rollercoaster in a shirt, when it's about 15 degrees is pretty darn cold. It got worse later in the morning and rest of the day, because it got cloudy. Many people stared at me 😄

Eejanaika was interesting though, after the first few high speed seconds, loops and rolls I had no idea what was up or down anymore 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 7/11/2020 at 3:41 PM, JR 500系 said:

Not many times you see a man ride a roller coaster in a suit ~

No, and I reckon that's the last time he'll do it. Look at how his hands are shaking right at the end of the video. Poor bugger! 🙄

Cheers,

Mark.

23 minutes ago, marknewton said:

No, and I reckon that's the last time he'll do it. Look at how his hands are shaking right at the end of the video. Poor bugger! 🙄

Looks like he had been gripping pretty hard and had lost some circulation there!