Capsule plarail trains

Been collecting them for a while and I need to figure out someway to store them other than just thrown in a box. These plastic storage boxes may do for now, they are inexpensive but just a tad large.

jeff

4462CEBD-AEAC-4363-936F-3C2212558616.jpeg

• Like 2

I guess a small strip of foam across the top of each one (and stick a Shinkansen or other slan nose one in the bottom right).

Oooh cool! I’ve looked at that one but the lack of easy track has kept me away!

jeff

1 hour ago, chadbag said:

I guess a small strip of foam across the top of each one (and stick a Shinkansen or other slan nose one in the bottom right).

yeah I thought of foam inserts and figured it’s really just to keep them together and not in a huge pile in a box (I have a lot more to box up!) and they are toys so no issue rattling around some really. I may sit down at some point and make some custom foamcore boxes with better inserts, but this cheap $4 harbor freight box seemed to be a quick and dirty solution for better storage than piled in boxes and clear is nice to see what’s in each... 

at least for now I’ll get them better sorted and not do duplicate buys (you see 2 500s oops)!

im headed to hf soon to pick up a few things for the basement shop so I can get more boxes.

cheers

jeff

Yep I’ve had a few Plano boxes in the past, nicely done system. Their latches are very nice. None look a good match for the capsule trains though.

For the capsule trains these cheap harbor freight work pretty well (what hf does best, good enough for a good price), doubt I can find a closer fit prebuilt and they are cheap at $4 and sometimes as low as $3 on sale. Foam would be nice but not sure is necessary. I may see if a u of fun foam might make something to pull them out easier by (like the plastic sheets used in some tomix trains). But really it’s for long term storage on the shelves and no transport.

jeff

A small foam strip laid on the top of the train ( between the top and the top of the compartment) will stop things from rattling and potentially breaking.  Things loose in oversize boxes break easily. 

A foam strip is not as nice as a foam insert but will do the job and should be cheap (probably free -- I'm pretty sure you have foam scraps lying around).

Actually these are pretty hard to break and why Im not really concerned. I’d probably have to frisbee it into a wall and even then I think it would just break the box, not the toys, they are pretty robust, I’ve never broken one and I’ve dropped them onto the floor. Not like our n gauge trains, those of course I use foam. I’ve cut foam inserts for a really wild variety of equipment in the past so no stranger to this.

im more inclined to spend my time cutting nice foam inserts for the clear vhs cases I have for my Tomytec trains as those cheap box and plastic inserts are pretty poor even on a small drop...

jeff

On 7/8/2020 at 6:46 AM, cteno4 said:

Been collecting them for a while and I need to figure out someway to store them other than just thrown in a box. These plastic storage boxes may do for now, they are inexpensive but just a tad large.

jeff

4462CEBD-AEAC-4363-936F-3C2212558616.jpeg

Great cases. I collect these as well.

IMG_20200709_201102.thumb.jpg.a730cf480498b09f031a4ad841a7b12d.jpg

• Like 2

Hi!

can someone put a photo with capsule plarail trains in comparison with an n gauge model?
it's insane, I know, but I'm tempted to try something similar to  B-train shorty if the dimension are "comparable", I think they are bigger but I don't know how much....

thanks!

ciao!

Massimo

Massimo,

they are kind of shorty shorties! Here’s a 500 comparison. The z shorties mechs may work in the capsule trains if you were to make a cradle to hold them (if someone has the measurements of a z shorty mech I can check) but of course need z gauge track, which would give you close to proper japanese gauge then in N scale. If you have a particular train you are looking at let me know I have a few dozen different capsule train sets and I can open them up and get you exact dimensions.

jeff

9B8C9735-85AC-479A-941F-25FE61DE2B0D.jpeg

94CAA15A-D9F8-4A31-9CA3-8FEC9589026F.jpeg

C61A0351-1DB7-4BC3-929F-C7505E24D325.jpeg

D913CB68-B06A-4772-99A4-BEA493BB1731.jpeg

B2954561-1A6A-49C6-825D-64A593FA8664.jpeg

thanks a lot Jeff!!!

yep! probably is a little big for z-shorty mecha, tomorrow I try to find it, I'm sure I still have 2-3 in my storage (old kitbashing stuff for Nm trains)  
but I think the Tomytec HM-01 Hakotetsu Power Unit or TM-TR02 is perfect, I have 7-8 still available (I tried to use them for Lima TGV's, but now I have on pre-order the TGV Kato engine for a better work)
for the steam locos maybe one BR80/89 chassis work good...
well, I try to buy a couple of Galaxy Express items like this

http://sdkai2.web.fc2.com/other-t-999.htm

https://www.capupula-daisuki.com/通常シリーズ/2001年発売/

I found them during my research of Galaxy Express trains, I'm not yet ready for the N gauge versions to couple with my Microace (books and magazines are on the sea way) so I need something to do before 😋

Ciao!

Massimo

Edited by jappomania
link correction...

May work, it’s just a tad wider than btrain, so shouldn’t stick out too far. Nm shorties!

damn now you are giving me an excuse to get a z shorty mech and a loop of track!

probably could rig up a 3D printed holder for the mech in the capsule trains. Body mount some couplers...

the TM-TR04 looks like it might be just a couple of mm too long. Looks like around 37mm x 19mm inside on a few.

the galaxy express 999 capsules are nice I have one.

have you seen the about 1/150 galaxy express train models? I’ve often thought of converting some with tomytec mechs.

jeff

Hi Jeff!
I found the z-shorty mecha but not yet the little Tomytec, please be patient and soon I send you all the measures of all the engines I use for small kitbashing that I think are little enough to fit on B-trains/capsule Plarail
(too many boxes to open and verify, during the past 3 years I focused also on Egger Bahn and I accumulated too much models, is better I start the "spring cleaning" )
about Galaxy Express models (from 111 to 888) I'm still at project start, I already bought the junk Poppy models (declared 1/170 but is a fake) and the Bandai sets (the only thing in N scale is the Arnold coupler, magazines need one month more to be here...
I can also tell you something I already "discovered", tell me if you prefer I send you the doc or open a new thread (here I think is OT), I don't know if this can be an interessant discussion

stay tuned!

ciao!
Massimo

Massimo,

cool, I’m betting the z shorty will fit. Some of the tiny prohobby and world kougi should also fit fine, I have a few of them and I think HS has their measurements usually.

sure, pm me the do to look at. I’ve looked at motorizing some of the bandai 999 models for fun, and scale did seem a bit wonky,mbut they are fantasy models. When the z shorties came out I had the quick thought of trying a capsule for fun, but put it into them I have too many irons in the fire pile!

jeff

For those interested in Capsule Pra-rail, seems i missed out on some of the SL locomotives, although have 2 of the SL Yamaguchi coaches. 

The latest series seems to be prototype shinkansen.

FB46F8B4-A2B1-4EEB-A46F-8B7F560F367E.jpeg

• Like 3