Sign in to follow this  
cteno4

Capsule plarail trains

cteno4

Been collecting them for a while and I need to figure out someway to store them other than just thrown in a box. These plastic storage boxes may do for now, they are inexpensive but just a tad large.

jeff

4462CEBD-AEAC-4363-936F-3C2212558616.jpeg

• Like 2

chadbag

I guess a small strip of foam across the top of each one (and stick a Shinkansen or other slan nose one in the bottom right).

maihama eki

I have the Tokyo Monorail.  Shown here on my first proto of a 3D printed beam-way.

DSC00357.thumb.JPG.a5a21053ba603b5e9ef6f9b62ea7c58d.JPG

• Like 2

cteno4

Oooh cool! I’ve looked at that one but the lack of easy track has kept me away!

jeff

cteno4
1 hour ago, chadbag said:

I guess a small strip of foam across the top of each one (and stick a Shinkansen or other slan nose one in the bottom right).

yeah I thought of foam inserts and figured it’s really just to keep them together and not in a huge pile in a box (I have a lot more to box up!) and they are toys so no issue rattling around some really. I may sit down at some point and make some custom foamcore boxes with better inserts, but this cheap $4 harbor freight box seemed to be a quick and dirty solution for better storage than piled in boxes and clear is nice to see what’s in each... 

at least for now I’ll get them better sorted and not do duplicate buys (you see 2 500s oops)!

im headed to hf soon to pick up a few things for the basement shop so I can get more boxes.

cheers

jeff

Cat

As a miniature gamer, I buy various Plano storage boxes by the carton.  At the very least you want the Plano 3700.  They re-designed it a few years ago to eliminate the annoying intrusion at the front latch.  And yes, foam inserts are your friends.
https://www.planomolding.com/prolatchr-stowawayr-3700

cteno4

Yep I’ve had a few Plano boxes in the past, nicely done system. Their latches are very nice. None look a good match for the capsule trains though.

For the capsule trains these cheap harbor freight work pretty well (what hf does best, good enough for a good price), doubt I can find a closer fit prebuilt and they are cheap at $4 and sometimes as low as $3 on sale. Foam would be nice but not sure is necessary. I may see if a u of fun foam might make something to pull them out easier by (like the plastic sheets used in some tomix trains). But really it’s for long term storage on the shelves and no transport.

jeff

chadbag

A small foam strip laid on the top of the train ( between the top and the top of the compartment) will stop things from rattling and potentially breaking.  Things loose in oversize boxes break easily. 

A foam strip is not as nice as a foam insert but will do the job and should be cheap (probably free -- I'm pretty sure you have foam scraps lying around).

cteno4

Actually these are pretty hard to break and why Im not really concerned. I’d probably have to frisbee it into a wall and even then I think it would just break the box, not the toys, they are pretty robust, I’ve never broken one and I’ve dropped them onto the floor. Not like our n gauge trains, those of course I use foam. I’ve cut foam inserts for a really wild variety of equipment in the past so no stranger to this.

im more inclined to spend my time cutting nice foam inserts for the clear vhs cases I have for my Tomytec trains as those cheap box and plastic inserts are pretty poor even on a small drop...

jeff

dabsan
On 7/8/2020 at 6:46 AM, cteno4 said:

Been collecting them for a while and I need to figure out someway to store them other than just thrown in a box. These plastic storage boxes may do for now, they are inexpensive but just a tad large.

jeff

4462CEBD-AEAC-4363-936F-3C2212558616.jpeg

Great cases. I collect these as well.

IMG_20200709_201102.thumb.jpg.a730cf480498b09f031a4ad841a7b12d.jpg

• Like 2