July 2020 flooding

A week or two back I read the report about them doing those inspections and coming up with figures for repair for the 2021 financial year. Work to begin tax year 2024.  I dont know how Japan's financial years work though.

Kumagawa railway has expressed that the line reopen, as they are now isolated with the JR section closed.

JRK chairman/boss/ceo has not ruled out going to BRT as an option.

The line between Yatsushiro and Hayato was always in the negative. This was allowavle due to the extra income brought in on the shinkansen between Fukuoka and Kumamoto. Hence why so many joyful tourist train were on the line.

But with the increase in international tourism and associated shinkansen ridership, the need for this attraction process was gone.

The locals do want the line back up and running. But the costs associated with rebuilding mainly fall on local prefecture and federal governments. So they ultimately will have the strong final say.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, katoftw said:

A week or two back I read the report about them doing those inspections and coming up with figures for repair for the 2021 financial year. Work to begin tax year 2024.  I dont know how Japan's financial years work though.

Kumagawa railway has expressed that the line reopen, as they are now isolated with the JR section closed.

JRK chairman/boss/ceo has not ruled out going to BRT as an option.

The line between Yatsushiro and Hayato was always in the negative. This was allowavle due to the extra income brought in on the shinkansen between Fukuoka and Kumamoto. Hence why so many joyful tourist train were on the line.

But with the increase in international tourism and associated shinkansen ridership, the need for this attraction process was gone.

The locals do want the line back up and running. But the costs associated with rebuilding mainly fall on local prefecture and federal governments. So they ultimately will have the strong final say.

Those are reasons why I believe that there's still hope. We can't give up yet! At least for the time being we'll still have the SL Hitoyoshi running north to Tosu. I'm happy with that.

Parts of the Histatsu line have been removed and paved over to make a "temporary road". 

However, skeptical me thinks that this will be permanent eventually and this is just another nail in the coffin for the Hisatsu line. 

They still kept the deactivated signals in their places, btw. 

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/3d3645ec52710e537bcb864f2abbd38f1d3b8d8a

• Sad 1
TokyoImperialPalace

That does not seem to be a "temporary" road in terms of how we would usually consider a temporary road. What makes this a more easy conversion to rail than say a normal road beyond clearances?

But how about having the train run on the road with tram rails built in?

On 4/27/2021 at 10:22 PM, katoftw said:

I dont know how Japan's financial years work though.

The financial year starts on April 1st. Thus we are still in financial year 2021.

SL58654号
On 3/23/2022 at 4:49 AM, katoftw said:

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/9a228b74403b212b90e304513eca271f42ee32d5?fbclid=IwAR1qMGrUGc7pVybHCO4BZxg9ptjTWigkCaI44Pvy4_mwiqtdKGgvVgk32Tg

Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism have agreed to cover their share. "If I google translate it correctly."

Still needs Kumamoto and JRK to commit I guess.

Yes, that's why I believe that there's hope it will return. Every few days news surfaces about covering over 90% of the cost on their behalf, and JR Kyushu is requesting financial support for maintaining it after it has been rebuilt before they commit. They've come this far and no one it seems wants the line to die. Hitoyoshi and its tourism business is highly dependent on it. I attended a support rally by the people and mayor of Hitoyoshi City for its revival in March, and you can imagine how much it means to all of them, myself included!

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/4b2ec7103085027640283592e081a04b0c98f986

Stronger discussions on who pays what costs has been ongoing the last few months. While nothing confirmed.  It is at least a step in the right direction I think.

12 towns along the route to cover a certain amount of 50%. With Hitiyoshi and Yatsushiro to cover 30% each into that.

These updates normally come monthly.  I haven't posted these up, as I don't think monthly updates of the fat cats arguing over money is wanted.  But the fact the cities are bartering what they have to pay in restoration costs, means they are willing to pay something.

Edited by katoftw
  • Thanks 1
Yugamu Tsuki

I really wanted to see this in late 2024 but I don't see that happening so I'll need to figure out the bus schedule to the Hitoyoshi interchange. I was just looking if there was any update to the pricing talks earlier today so this keeps me hopeful something someday will happen.