TGV

AhmadKane

Some guy is selling his TGV set. Most of them don't have the tracks that come with. 

Which one do you think I should get? I'm thinking of the orange TGV since it's the original one. There's also the Eurostar and the AVE. 

I could just replace the tracks that come in some of the sets so that I could make ti better in display

I would go for the orange SNCF TGV, like you mentioned it's the original color. An alternative is the grey and blue strip TVG Atlantique.

The Renfe Euromed is in my opinion much nicer than the Renfe Ave blue strip or the Ave purple strip, but that's my taste.

Then you have the two red versions of the SNCF Thalys ( I prefer the one with the bigger side logos). 

The Eurostar it's not a TGV. 

In the Eurostar you can choose the original color (white and yellow) or the more recent grey and blue.

Martijn Meerts

You might want to wait with getting a used orange TGV. With the 40th anniversary of the TGV coming up next year, there's a chance there will be some new releases.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, tavora said:

The Eurostar it's not a TGV. 

In the Eurostar you can choose the original color (white and yellow) or the more recent grey and blue.

I agree. It doesn't look like a TGV either. But wikipedia lists it as one. What's the connection? 

35 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I agree. It doesn't look like a TGV either. But wikipedia lists it as one. What's the connection? 

I suppose it's the fact that it goes to UK? It's similar to the Thalys TGV where it goes to Belgium, Netherlands and Germany

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

It's essentially based on the TGV design but adapted for use in the Channel Tunnel and the archaic British railway network (smaller loading gauge and 3rd rail pickup) it initially needed to run on. See e.g.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_373

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Glad Pingvin

If I remember correctly, and I probably don't, isn't the train branded as Eurostar based on the TGV design but made to fit our BR systems and called TGV TMST (Train Grand Vitesse Trans Manche Super Train). 

There are also the "new" Eurostar trains that go to other destinations which are different but I haven't been lucky enough to travel on them yet.

• Like 1

First time I travelled on the Eurostar was from Brussels and it was all very nice and impressive and high speed until it popped out of the tunnel and was basically sharing tracks with post-war slam door commuter stock.

A bit like zipping along on a Shinkansen until suddenly! it slows down behind a 103 series which it needs to overtake at the next station.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 7/3/2020 at 12:30 PM, AhmadKane said:

Some guy is selling his TGV set. Most of them don't have the tracks that come with. 

Which one do you think I should get? I'm thinking of the orange TGV since it's the original one. There's also the Eurostar and the AVE.

The original Kato Eurostar and TGV designs are excellent for their age and good value, provided the seller is asking reasonable prices.

If going for the orange TGV, make sure it's Kato and not Lima or Bachmann.

• Thanks 1
Glad Pingvin
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

First time I travelled on the Eurostar was from Brussels and it was all very nice and impressive and high speed until it popped out of the tunnel and was basically sharing tracks with post-war slam door commuter stock.

A bit like zipping along on a Shinkansen until suddenly! it slows down behind a 103 series which it needs to overtake at the next station.

Yes, the journey back to Waterloo used to be horrible. Eurostar used to give you a free trip if you were delayed by over two hours, we worked out that the same train from Waterloo was always late on a Friday evening and managed six trips for the cost of our original booking.

But it's so much nicer speeding from St Pancras and almost being in Paris in the time it used to trundle down to Folkestone from Waterloo... Anyway I digress...

disturbman
4 hours ago, Glad Pingvin said:

There are also the "new" Eurostar trains that go to other destinations which are different but I haven't been lucky enough to travel on them yet.

The Eurostar e320 are based on the Velaro, rather than the TGV platform. It made a little ruckus in France when Eurostar chose a Siemens product over an Alstom.

Edited by disturbman
jappomania
6 hours ago, railsquid said:

The original Kato Eurostar and TGV designs are excellent for their age and good value, provided the seller is asking reasonable prices.

If going for the orange TGV, make sure it's Kato and not Lima or Bachmann.

slow down....😉

Bachmann is "toy like", so out of games
but Kato and Lima are both good choices for me, obviously Kato mechanically is the top, but the Lima nose form, the bogies details, the orange color is better (Kato is too flashy orange, simplified boogies and nose cone curve don't match the real, if you don't trust me you can try to find old numbers of french magazines like Loco Revue, RMF and Voies Ferrees with Kato Vs Lima comparison)
Kato loco rooftop is better detailed, but pantograph is the first thing too simple to broken (and far to be like the real Faiveley AMDE-AM55U)
instead Lima insulator between intermediate cars is better than Kato
is hard to find, but the last Lima release (Minitrains) has been improved, better motor (but still far from Kato), improved painting and pantograph (Sommerfeldt), boogie with pneumatic suspension and R4-Bar with new windows layout.
and don't forget that kato orange paint is "photosensitive", with the sunlight you obtain a dual face train, half orange and half "yellow"

Lima is not so hard to improve, pizza cutter wheels can be changed with Benno axels and with milling machine is simple to adapt the Kato TMST chassis to Lima loco
(in the past was available a perfect reproduction of real pantos by Carmina, but now are impossible to find, was a good spare parts for Kato and Lima)  

The Eurostar TMST  have only one problem, the real composition is really long and Kato still continue to sell only one type of add-on set with buffet car so, if you want all the 18 intermedite cars you need to buy not 3 but 4 sets and use only the second class cars (2 buffet and 2 first class are for "spares".... or bin)

p.s. @Martijn, I don't know if really Kato planned to re-release the PSE, the PBA/PBKA - Duplex - Reseau family can be expanded for years with only "license" and repaint, 10-12 livery for  now...
(PSE need too many moulds to rebuild to obtain the real train, one mould set is not enough to reproduce the various steps of PSE evolution, today a simple fake repaint like the PSE ligne du Coeur is unacceptable)

ciao

Massimo

• Like 1

Ah OK, I just recall hearing complaints about the mechanical reliability of the Lima model.

11 minutes ago, jappomania said:

and don't forget that kato orange paint is "photosensitive", with the sunlight you obtain a dual face train, half orange and half "yellow

Exposing model trains to direct sunlight is not a good idea anyway.

• Haha 1

All of them are KATO. Apparently he not only got one, but three of the Sud-Est Orange and three of the Blue. If I were to get any of them I would fit some LED lights inside and some figures. But I suppose you're right @Martijn Meerts, with the anniversary of the TGV coming up, maybe there's a better and more detailed model coming up. Probably more expensive but more collectible too (One can wonder that maybe it'll have some gold plating, you never know)

He wants about 240 dollars for each set. Which is the most I've spent on a railroad model to date.  But browsing ebay I've found that these are normally the price for TGV models, especially KATO US are the ones making them. 

https://i.imgur.com/PIRZCmK.jpg 

I do like the Sud-Est Orange. It's the first TGV and the one I know most from books when I was a kid. Though the Duplex was the first TGV I had as a toy when I still played DoCity and its colorful tracks (What some of you may regard as the fake plarail) 

I also liked Thalys because of its name and the red color. It's just so unique, and I use them a lot when I used to play Trainstation (Yep the FB game,) Though I don't really like the new TGV shapes, they don't look as striking as Shinkansen models, but that's my own subjective opinion. What's more, I suspect that he's going to put the Thalys at a much higher price. 

I'm currently waiting for his response. My guess is he's only going to part with the orange or the blue. We'll have to see. Maybe I can get one with a better box since the one I shown you didn't have a good box condition

8 minutes ago, AhmadKane said:

A Maybe I can get one with a better box since the one I shown you didn't have a good box condition

I'm also waiting to see if there's going to be a re-release next year. But if I were getting one now, I'd get the Japanese release with the book style case instead of the European odd shaped cardboard box. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KATO-N-scale-10-198-TGV-Basic-6-car-set-made-in-JAPAN/264777301414?epid=1530650688&hash=item3da5f4fda6:g:IJsAAOSwgMde9uWN

Also here's the Euro box train for $180

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KATO-N-GAUGE-TGV-S14701-6-cars-set-Working-vintage-genuine-062311/174325704746?hash=item28969f282a:g:JjcAAOSwF4Ne8Orp

Edited by gavino200
5 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I'm also waiting to see if there's going to be a re-release next year. But if I were getting one now, I'd get the Japanese release with the book style case instead of the European odd shaped cardboard box. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KATO-N-scale-10-198-TGV-Basic-6-car-set-made-in-JAPAN/264777301414?epid=1530650688&hash=item3da5f4fda6:g:IJsAAOSwgMde9uWN

Also here's the Euro box train for $180

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KATO-N-GAUGE-TGV-S14701-6-cars-set-Working-vintage-genuine-062311/174325704746?hash=item28969f282a:g:JjcAAOSwF4Ne8Orp

Is there a model difference or are they both made in the same place?

10 minutes ago, AhmadKane said:

Is there a model difference or are they both made in the same place?

Same model. Packaged differently for different markets. Personally I like having my trains on a shelf like a row of books.  So I always get the Japanese release. 

Edited by gavino200

Yes same model. The S14701 is the second edition of the orange TGV (same as the first edition but in a different box). The 10-198 is a later edition of the same TGV, the only difference between editions is that the later one has the loco number.