Foam Trays

toc36

Nice! I’ve plucked so many of those damn little foam squares as we used them a lot in pelican cases for video and electronic gear at the film studio and on ships. Works well! 

jeff

Thanks. Those look very useful. Might be perfect for holding random trucks and busses. If only I could find a good storage solution for all my little Tomytec cars!

There are also gun cases (rifle case can hold a lot) that are blow moulded shells and square pick foam inserts I’ve seen folks use at train shows. I looked them up and for the size they were pretty economical. But you have to be comfortable walking around with a gun case!

we use to get 1/2” and 1” thick square pick foam sheets in like 2’ wide rolls pretty cheap, then just whacked it up on the table saw to fit the case and layered it and picked the layers as needed. For smaller stuff I used the scroll saw to make custom cases. I made a custom one as a test for a Tomytec pair of cars to go in a vhs box, worked great. I now need to source more foam to really do a lot of the tomytec trains, I scored a case of 20 clear vhs cases cheap a couple of years ago.

jeff

Ah, yes. Thanks guys. These are good. However, I'm talking about the actual Tomytec automobiles. Like a Toyota Supra or something. I often end up with them piled into an open stackable container, which somehow just doesn't seem right. 

Yeah I have a couple of dozen small plastic boxes heaped full of cars or stacked with trucks. Always feels brutal but I’ve not noticed any damage over the last decade doing this and taking them in and out a lot to train shows. I have a little nightmare vision of dropping a box and having an explosion of a hundred Tomytec autos! Also look at the little boxes and realize some have like $3-500 in autos that many would be much more than that if I tried to replace the older Tomytec sets long out of production.

jeff

• Like 1

Trotec, the company that made the laser cutter that I have at work now sells laser cuttable (is that a word) foam. I've been meaning to give it a whirl for quite a while now. Maybe over the summer when I'm not so busy with school work I'll get a chance to play with it. So many ideas! I had not thought of storage for cars and trucks though. Great idea! I want to make a foam cut out for the B-Train Shorty Shinkansen that I have. See my signature for that one. Maybe all of our B-Trains - and I have a sh$tload of them.  Might be time to buy a bunch of generic storage cases and cut my own foam. I love the Kato book case storage cases that we already have. Or, maybe, I should just build that new layout…

Edited by tossedman
Had a second thought…
  • Like 2

Oh man todd that a huge cheat! Yeah lots easier than the scroll saw or by hand with a coping saw!

jeff

• Thanks 1