Ceiling Suspension

toc36

Randomly viewing Youtube.  Came across a possible system for ceiling suspension of a layout.

Check out 7:50 - 8:30

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I actually built a layout like that many years ago that would pull up into the ceiling to keep the garage clear.  The problem is that even small layouts are so heavy I almost never used it, it was just too much work to lower down and raise back up again! 

I don't think I'd want to hang pots and pans from my layout... 😂

All the best,

Mark.

• Haha 1

Mark you’re always photoing trains on the kitchen counter, you can store your trains with the retractable pot and pan rack! 😜

jeff

• Haha 2
Tonytramman

the idea has been around for many years but i'm not sure how many layouts are actually built like that?!

There’s a few up on youtube. It’s come up a few times in the past here as a solution to lack of space.

jeff

Modelers have done this in the past, too. One trick is to put a train storage yard (about 1 foot wide) at the back. It stays level and holds the trains. Then the layout ahead of it is hinged upward for storage. The hinge geometry gets a little tricky, so you don't crush railheads against railheads, scenery into parked trains and other scenery, and so on. There were articles in old magazines.

Rich K.

On 6/25/2020 at 1:34 PM, cteno4 said:

Mark you’re always photoing trains on the kitchen counter, you can store your trains with the retractable pot and pan rack! 😜

Touché, Jeff! 😂

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton