Koki 200 - dimensions

Jaco3011

Hello there!

I couldn't find technical drawings of KoKi 200. Can someone with (preferably H0) model of KoKi200 measure it? I'd like to build one from scratch in 1/87 H0, compatible with NEM containers.

Das Steinkopf

Here are the basic measurements

length 15,000 mm
width 2,566 mm
height 2,017 mm

wheels 810mm Dia

The height includes the railings as the deck height is about 1,000mm

4 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

Here are the basic measurements

length 15,000 mm
width 2,566 mm
height 2,017 mm

wheels 810mm Dia

The height includes the railings as the deck height is about 1,000mm

Well, if only I were able to find some technical drawing, I could estimate the other dimensions based on that. Am I googling wrong keywords or what?

Well, I tried. But KoKi 107 is also worth giving it a shot.

I'm currently working on KoKi 10000, which I have detailed blueprints of.

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf
14 hours ago, Jaco3011 said:

Well, I tried. But KoKi 107 is also worth giving it a shot.

I'm currently working on KoKi 10000, which I have detailed blueprints of.

The KoKi 10000 was designed for high speed container trains that were introduced in 1966 and a total of 456 were produced, when privatisation occurred in 1987 the newly formed JRF received a total of 257 KoKi 10000, 7 KoKi 19000 and 35 KoKifu 10000, they started to be withdrawn from service in 1994 and were all gone by 1996. They were initially designed to transport 10' containers but later on  adopted the 12' and 20' domestic containers.

8 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

The KoKi 10000 was designed for high speed container trains that were introduced in 1966 and a total of 456 were produced, when privatisation occurred in 1987 the newly formed JRF received a total of 257 KoKi 10000, 7 KoKi 19000 and 35 KoKifu 10000, they started to be withdrawn from service in 1994 and were all gone by 1996. They were initially designed to transport 10' containers but later on  adopted the 12' and 20' domestic containers.

I didn't know about 20' on refurbished KoKi 10000. Does domestic 20' fit the same fixing point as ISO 20'?

Das Steinkopf
18 hours ago, Jaco3011 said:

I didn't know about 20' on refurbished KoKi 10000. Does domestic 20' fit the same fixing point as ISO 20'?

With the 20' ISO containers they can fit in the same spots as the 20' domestic containers on the KoKi 106 and KoKi 107 but they have a twist lock mechanism to hold them down, with the 20' ISO containers there are limitations to the loading of them, they can carry a maximum of 2 with one at each end of the wagon or 1 mounted centrally. The 20' domestic containers are of a lighter construction and slightly lower in height, their internal volume is around 30 cubic metres as opposed to the TEU's which are around 33 cubic metres, the 20' domestic containers loaded weight is at around 12tons whilst the TEU's are around 20tons.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
13 hours ago, Kamome said:

Here’s a website for Japanese freight profile illustrations but no dimensions. Not sure how accurate they are.  I have a couple Tomix HO Koki 200s but no digital callipers to measure accurately.

http://kitekinet.jp/pen/kamotu/pc-hoppa-all.html

No need to be that precise - a ruler will do. I'm talking mostly about distances between perpendicular supports, which cannot be seen on a side view.

Awesome pics, they are going to be very useful.

4 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

With the 20' ISO containers they can fit in the same spots as the 20' domestic containers on the KoKi 106 and KoKi 107 but they have a twist lock mechanism to hold them down, with the 20' ISO containers there are limitations to the loading of them, they can carry a maximum of 2 with one at each end of the wagon or 1 mounted centrally. The 20' domestic containers are of a lighter construction and slightly lower in height, their internal volume is around 30 cubic metres as opposed to the TEU's which are around 33 cubic metres, the 20' domestic containers loaded weight is at around 12tons whilst the TEU's are around 20tons.

By just looking at photos - fixing mechanism looks the same.

I am well aware of the loading limitations, but I think I've seen 3 ISO 20ft loaded on one KoKi - probably empty ones. No photos of KoKi 10000 with 20ft domestic whatsoever.

Das Steinkopf
11 hours ago, Jaco3011 said:

No need to be that precise - a ruler will do. I'm talking mostly about distances between perpendicular supports, which cannot be seen on a side view.

Awesome pics, they are going to be very useful.

By just looking at photos - fixing mechanism looks the same.

I am well aware of the loading limitations, but I think I've seen 3 ISO 20ft loaded on one KoKi - probably empty ones. No photos of KoKi 10000 with 20ft domestic whatsoever.

With the 20’ domestic containers 3 can be fitted onto any of the KoKi’s 100 variants with ease as the combined weight is below the 40.5 to 40.7 tons load limits they have, the TEU’s on the other hand are too heavy to mount 3 of them.

81FA28DB-0F72-4BF3-93AB-F04DD1287BA8.jpeg

Edited by Das Steinkopf

You may struggle to make it look "right" unless you build it to HOm. Bearing in mind that Japan uses 1:80 to have 16.5mm gauge track resemble Cape Gauge.

4 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

You may struggle to make it look "right" unless you build it to HOm. Bearing in mind that Japan uses 1:80 to have 16.5mm gauge track resemble Cape Gauge.

I'm going for h0m.

Das Steinkopf
16 hours ago, Jaco3011 said:

I'm going for h0m.

HOm is too dangerous a gauge for me, if I was to use it I would end up with a heap of Bemo RhB stock, my pockets aren't deep enough considering the rate that I normally buy trains.

11 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

HOm is too dangerous a gauge for me, if I was to use it I would end up with a heap of Bemo RhB stock, my pockets aren't deep enough considering the rate that I normally buy trains.

I'm not into RhB or any other european narrow gauge lines.