Question about Fleischmann Steam locos. Old vs. new?

gavino200

At some stage I'm going to get one of those old black and red multi axle locos with the funny blinkers on the front for my Epoch III train. There are a few different models but they're all very similar.

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Steam+Locomotive/Tender+Locomotive/-714471/gb/modell_285474.html

I'm also looking at some older models. Fleischmann 7182 for example is often available. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/N-gauge-Fleischmann-2-10-0-steam-engine-7182-in-original-box/223582520169?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908131621%26meid%3D262211cd78d941d7a3a94ce3a04f16a5%26pid%3D100678%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D153971835544%26itm%3D223582520169%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DFleischmann&_trksid=p2380057.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=pageci%3A31ad7717-b426-11ea-a310-74dbd1805a08|parentrq%3Ad99a5efb1720ad4c3625dc9efff7a3ac|iid%3A1

I'm leaning toward getting a new model, but on the other hand I'm tempted to try out one of the old models. I did buy an old Fleischmann electric loco, which I was never fully happy with compared with the newer models. 

In general how do these older models compare with the newer ones in terms of both detail and performance? 

roadstar_na6

The used one you linked is way too expensive, they sell for less than 100€ (already DCC converted mostly) here on ebay regulary and shipping one of these to the US would be another 20€ or probably less.

In terms of performance I have seen some Fleischmann ones that run really slow and some that are pretty decent. I think a lot of these older german SL are tender-driven tho. I can‘t really tell a lot about age and stuff of the ones that run on my club‘s layout but in most cases they are fine. Details are also okay for older stuff, however I don‘t think I‘ve ever really looked closely at a newer Fleischmann when next to an older one as I think most of the German SL stuff no matter the age falls back against Kato or MicroAce.

Edited by roadstar_na6
  • Thanks 1

I have noticed that, private sellers on eBay sometimes “forget” to mention that the rod system is broken. Be sure to be critical when purchasing European steam locos second hand.

• Thanks 1
Tony Galiani

I have several Fleischmann locomotives - both older and new models.  No steam but do have diesels with rod drives.  There is a definite difference in performance with the newer models being much better, particularly with slow speed running.  The start/stop on the older models is very abrupt.

I know there is a company making remotoring kits for older Minitrix locomotives and would not be surprised if something similar was available for Fleischmann locos but not sure how easy these would be to find.

Regards,

Tony Galiani

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I may get a second hand one soon and a new one later. But I'm not ready quite yet. I feel I need to learn more about the locos before I "deserve" to own an model of one. 

Recent Fleischmann models run OK.  Not as super butter smooth as Kato (I think we've all been spoilt by how high Kato sets the bar) and the detail isn't as fine (again, recent Kato and Tomix are simply incredible).  They get a bit better after running in and loosening up.

My last Fleischmann had a tiny filament bulb headlight that wouldn't work with the shell on, and I ended up replacing it with a soldered LED.

Unfortunately this is a poor angle of that loco...

I've seen a few of the older second hand Fleischmann steam locomotives at shows and as per Tony above, can be difficult to control. 

• Thanks 1