Steve

Kato - Steam Locomotives

Steve
Posted (edited)

Hello,

which (up-to-date Models of) Steam Locomotive Classes do Kato have in their Portfolio?

8620 (soon)

C50

C56

C57

C62

D51

did I miss anyone?

Edited by Steve
  • Like 1

Kiha66

Off the top of my head these are all the "modern models" with updated motors and molding.  Kato has made more classes but all the others have cab motors and more basic detailing. 

8620 (soon)

C11

C12

C50

C56

C57

C59

C62

D51

• Thanks 1

Christopher_R

Greetings people.

I'm planning on having an steam excursion train on my Nj layout. It's just a generic Japanese scene and the train does not necessarily have to be 100% prototypical. 

The locomotive I'm planning on getting is an Kato D51 Mikado. I would like to get some cars for it also, and I have seen the JNR 61 series by Kato. My question is, were these cars hauled by the D51 when they were in regular service?

Thanks in advance.

roadstar_na6

@Christopher_R The 60 series and 3*/4* series coaches could be used behind a D51 I think, but Kato recommends the latter on their operation examples. They‘re not that expensive as well 🙂

Edited by roadstar_na6

Christopher_R
On 9/7/2020 at 10:15 PM, roadstar_na6 said:

@Christopher_R The 60 series and 3*/4* series coaches could be used behind a D51 I think, but Kato recommends the latter on their operation examples. They‘re not that expensive as well 🙂

@roadstar_na6 apologies for responding late and thank you for the information. I too have seen that Kato recommends the 3* and 4* series coaches behind the D51. But like I mentioned, this would be a fictional excursion train and I kinda like the roof line of the 60 series better. So was just wondering cause, very much the locomotives and those coaches existed together. I missed out on buying Kato's 10-034 old time car set and I'm on a tight budget. So.......bruh.

Best regards!

chadbag

Your train, your rules.

Since you are fictional, there is no strict prototype to compare against anyway, just general ones. And again, your train, your rules.  If you like it, do it.  

• Like 1

Kiha66

I vaguely remember seeing 60 series behind D51 locomotives.  The 60 series were rebuilt from prewar wooden cars, and were less numerous and older than 3* and 4* series coaches.  I suspect when JNR and later JR was choosing coaches to restore for heritage use, they chose the rolling stock in the best shape which usually lead to more modern cars being chosen.  According to Japanese wikipedia, at least 2 60 series coaches are currently being used in steam service.  Oigawa Railway has one, as does JR east.  8 more are currently stored or displayed around japan but are not used on the main line, and 12 more have been dismantled after being saved.

Long story short, 60 series coaches will look fine behind a D51, and have been used for this purpose usually mixed in with other coaches to the modern day.  More importantly, its your railroad so run what makes you happy!   

• Like 2

Christopher_R

@Kiha66 thank you. Yes I too read that the 60 series cars were old pre war chassis/boogies with new steel car bodies. 

But thanks, after all, it is my railroad to bend reality a bit!

Regards......

• Like 1

Christopher_R

@chadbag as simple as that right.

Thanks and regards