"Raider of the lost Konkoita-film"

I wonder whether my enquiry is placed correctly into this section, but as I am looking for pictures and hopefully a movie or video, I might as well be right here.

When Japan built the so-called "Death Railway" in WWII between Burma and Thailand, they started working on both ends and finally met at a place called Konkoita (known in sligthly different spellings). It was a small hamlet in the Thai jungle, today submerged in a big artificial lake. As we know from books written about the events (both by Japanese authors as by former Allied POWs), a special ceremony was held on 17 October 1943. A propaganda-unit was brought over from Japan that filmed the festivities, like for example the Japanese General hitting the final nail (made of copper, but referred to as "golden nail") into the last sleeper. The POWs were supplied with new clothes, so that they looked "presentable" on Japanese weekly newsreels. The clothings were - as the POWs stated after the war - confiscated right after the end of the filming.  

My question: WHERE ARE THESE FILMS TODAY THAT WERE TAKEN IN KONKOITA ???

There are 3 or 4 photos known from that day to be found in the www and in publications, mainly of a poor quality (e.g. the one below), but no movies.

After all the troubles of bringing a film-team over from Japan, one would expect that the material they brought back was worth being secured. So, what happened to it? Anyone having a clue where to find it?

https://scontent.fvie3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/90137184_1480209235481835_6237808070311804928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=hrfbnzEAPcgAX_I740G&_nc_ht=scontent.fvie3-1.fna&oh=db2139ffc5534998c907458488603a10&oe=5F0F8336

• Like 1

They would be filed away in the shame files. Think about how Japan's reaction after loosing the war and the feeling of shame it brought to itself. That would be why said footage has dissappeared. No one wants to bring up their old dirty laundry.

Edited by katoftw
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, katoftw said:

They would be filed away in the shame files.

Ok, this might be an explanation, but so many years after the war I wonder whether the shame is still a predominant attitude. In particular, as I remember a scene in Tam Krasae about 20 years ago:

An old Japanese tourist stood in the cave next to the rails that had served as shelter and depot for spares during the war. He was accompanied by his nephew who served as interpretor. The old man stood there, very proudly, and with the help of his nephew told a Skandinavian guy that he had served on this section during the building of the railway, and that he had been publically praised by his commander, because under his command the working parties always met the deadlines. I was really tempted to ask what sort of methods he used to motivate the POWs so well that they worked so quickly.

A few days later I saw Grandpa and Nephew again, this time on the famous bridge. Again he was addressing foreigners. I was not close enough to hear what he said, but from his body language I guess it was the same story. Anyway, I could not see any shame on this guy.

Shame notwithstanding, I'd think it was more likely the film was destroyed - either accidentally or deliberately - as the war neared it's end.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, c56 said:

Ok, this might be an explanation, but so many years after the war I wonder whether the shame is still a predominant attitude. In particular, as I remember a scene in Tam Krasae about 20 years ago:

An old Japanese tourist stood in the cave next to the rails that had served as shelter and depot for spares during the war. He was accompanied by his nephew who served as interpretor. The old man stood there, very proudly, and with the help of his nephew told a Skandinavian guy that he had served on this section during the building of the railway, and that he had been publically praised by his commander, because under his command the working parties always met the deadlines. I was really tempted to ask what sort of methods he used to motivate the POWs so well that they worked so quickly.

A few days later I saw Grandpa and Nephew again, this time on the famous bridge. Again he was addressing foreigners. I was not close enough to hear what he said, but from his body language I guess it was the same story. Anyway, I could not see any shame on this guy.

Can you share some of your photographs from these trips? I'm sure many people would find that interesting. 

I think it best to keep any discussion here on this forum to just the trains and not greater WWII history. There are many history forums better suited to discuss the non train stuff.

thanks

jeff

• Like 1