Odakyu's brand new 5000 series commuter train

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Odakyu today announced that a new series of rolling stock will be introduced sometime in the current fiscal year.  Designated the 5000 series, it will be the first new rolling stock added to the fleet in 12 years. Features include  a wide body cross-section, extensive use of glass for airiness, security cameras (first time for Odakyu) and a wheelchair space in each car. No mention of maker, but the artist impression makes it look like a Nippon Sharyo product, particularly around the doors.

https://trafficnews.jp/post/85696

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 3
trainsforever8

I liked the thicker blue stripes better, but I do like the addition of the lighter blue.

Although is it just me or does this train really look like it could run on the Yokohama subway? (in terms of design).

The first Odakyu 5000 series set was delivered from Kobe.

6 of the 10 cars were delivered on October 31st, while the other four were transported on the 1st November.

https://railf.jp/news/2019/11/02/202500.html

Looks like railf are the only ones to have posted something about this so far. If anyone else finds any other articles, please add them! Thanks!!

It looks a little bit E233ish, even though it was built by KHI.

• Like 1

YouTube (and JNS Forum) member ayokoi took two videos of the late night delivery of the new Odakyu 5000 Series commuter train set:

Train set being delivered to Shin-Matsuda Station by JNR Class EF65 2074 locomotive:

Train set being picked up at Shin-Matsuda Station by a combined Odakyu 1000 Series train sets 1053F and 1065F:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Shiny.

I wonder which trains will be replaced? Maybe the longer 1000 series (and keeping the 4 car 1000 series on the Hakone/Odawara line and for the occasional techno inspector runs?)

• Like 1

The Techno inspector is a 3000 car, but as far as I know it only has ever run with a 1000 series (mostly, but not exclusively with the 4 car 1000 series in normal odakyu color, sets which they use for any kind of hauling purposes it seems). If you or anyone else has more info which sets have also ran with the techno inspector, I'd be very interested to know!

• Thanks 1

Promotional video by  小田急電鉄公式チャンネル「OdakyuMovie」

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And here's a front view video of the newest Odakyu 5000 series, from Shin Matsuda to Odawara in 'Kaisoku Keikyo' 快速急行 service:

If you havent seen a more enthusiastic driver, you should watch this!  😛  

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 5
On 8/29/2020 at 7:08 PM, JR 500系 said:

And here's a front view video of the newest Odakyu 5000 series, from Shin Matsuda to Odawara in 'Kaisoku Keikyo' 快速急行 service:

If you havent seen a more enthusiastic driver, you should watch this!  😛  

Hi, it is Kaisoku Kyuko.

• Like 1