Is it possible to find replacement parts for Tomytec Railway collection trains?

defor

I ended up getting a decent deal on a very lightly used condition Fuji Kyuko Series 1000 Evangelion World set (with a motor too)...

Apparently the seller appeared to have lost one of the end dummy couplers (both the box and the shank), and I only noticed today while installing the Pantograph and TT-04R unpowered car kit!

Is buying another (or an alternate livery) set just to get a spare coupler the only option?

Thanks!

large.4B7E6B92-E7A7-480A-8224-C00016C20254.jpeg.e094c9de61f1cba63370997bf2b85eaf.jpeg

I've never seen Diocolle-specifc spares anywhere, your best bet would be to check Yahoo Auctions etc. to see if anyone's selling off miscellaneous parts.

Does the model have the lugs for body-mounted Tomix couplings?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, railsquid said:

Does the model have the lugs for body-mounted Tomix couplings?

You know, that would be ideal!

It has two holes for the "box" for the dummy coupler... is there a guide somewhere showing all the fittings and measurements for TN connectors? I'd love to swap the end couplers and the bogie-mounted middle couplers for proper style couplers...

as a backup, I did just score a 600 JPY used blue single coach from the railway collection blind boxes this morning if I can't get TN replacements for both ends

2 hours ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Somebody on german eBay sells a bunch of parts, maybe the thing you need is also included in the package?

No dice, also more than the spare car I just bought- for reference, the parts you listed are two dummy car bottoms without running wheels (the plastic wheels aren'r suitable to run on) that were removed when someone upgraded a train collection to running gear and a motor. The other parts are spare side bogies that you get with the motor in order to match the bogies for your train type. More or less sadly all junk! (I've got a few boxes full of this exact kind of stuff from similar upgrades )

Edited by defor
51 minutes ago, defor said:

You know, that would be ideal!

It has two holes for the "box" for the dummy coupler... is there a guide somewhere showing all the fittings and measurements for TN connectors? I'd love to swap the end couplers and the bogie-mounted middle couplers for proper style couplers...

They're a standard fitting. On either side of the chassis you should a small gap with two lugs sticking out, which you can fit e.g. one of these onto:

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/0336.html

Will look a bit like this:

48772447402_600c3aed25_z.jpg

Tomix 209-1000 series coupling replacement by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you!

So I decided to get some photos of the mounting holes:

large.9C7E7CBF-8D5A-49C1-A798-A2B2FAF9F6F2.jpeg.c08d6df939cb059089215975ece05ec1.jpeg

...And realized...

...The unpowered frames actually DO have the TN mounts!

...And I've got over 80 JC25's for my Kiha 100 upgrades!!

They install perfectly:

large.BB5399D2-38F5-42A4-8F48-B198B736C4EE.jpeg.dd5140c9f40322e68a6f744b104c6125.jpeg

Of course now I have a new problem...

It appears that the motor this has is a TM-06, and not a TM-06R.

TN mounts only work on the new "R" variant due to changes in the frame and bogies:

https://ameblo.jp/y14-tc111-819/entry-11807303218.html

Here's a front shot of JC25 installed on the left and the dummy coupler on the right:

large.409DAB79-CC67-426F-9670-136C9A267133.jpeg.6ad80ea1a3caa1f5e377f79d2b76b4f1.jpeg

I'm off to track down a TM-06R!

Thanks again!

Edited by defor
Edited Because of Bad photo
  • Like 3

It appears some non-R models have TN support.

Now that I know about the TN options, I'm trying to find the right size coupler for a TM-20 that's used on the Keihan 600 series.

The TM-20 has the mount points in the end extensions, so I'm good there, but the overall frame width is skinnier than the JC25, so I need to find what can fit this...

2 hours ago, defor said:

It appears some non-R models have TN support.

Now that I know about the TN options, I'm trying to find the right size coupler for a TM-20 that's used on the Keihan 600 series.

The TM-20 has the mount points in the end extensions, so I'm good there, but the overall frame width is skinnier than the JC25, so I need to find what can fit this...

Many have tried before you and failed. A coupler that fits into the rapido pocket seems to be the best option.

Wierd- there's definitely the mounting points on the sides of the chassis for SOME kind of TN adapter...

I had picked up a lot of the microace close couplers (I think these are made by Tomix?) very cheap on hlj sales in the past with the intention of retrofitting to some of the tomytecs if possible with some Frankensteining.

jeff

2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I had picked up a lot of the microace close couplers (I think these are made by Tomix?) very cheap on hlj sales in the past with the intention of retrofitting to some of the tomytecs if possible with some Frankensteining.

I don't have much experience with those, the ones I have (which came on a second hand MicroAce set) certainly look/feel very different from anything I've seen from Tomix.

If they are Tomix, they are not TN couplers. They are not as coupling as close as Tomix's. I usually avoid buying them as they don't bring much advantages compared to the rapidos. I think  @CaptOblivious had documented a comparison between rapidos, MicroAce close couplers, and Tomix TN couplers. But that's eons ago.

Edited by disturbman

MicroAce version arent close couplers. They coupler the same distance away as rapidos do.

I think what confuses peeps is the wording 'tight'. So when you read a description of tight coupling. Many think is refers to the distance between the cars. But it really refers to the coupler mechinism.

Where 'close' tn coupler. The is refering to the distance between the cars.

I am sure it is just one of those many lost-in-translation things we have all delt with in our lives.

Close and tight in reference to couplers mean different things.

Edited by katoftw

I’ve only observed a couple of ma trains with then installed as one of our club members had them, they did seem to be closer coupled than the rapidos but not like tn couplers at all from my memory, but that was like a decade ago.

ill pull out the few sets I got ultra cheap and play with them some. My though was to convert a few of my ma to a little prettier couplers or adapt them for some Tomytec trains.

jeff

So I tried a little experimentation after ordering a few different TN types.

It turns out that 0373 is small-width body mount capable...

I'm not really sold on how the install turned out on the TM-20, but I'm curious of other's opinions:

First, here's the trimming I had to do on the coupler to make it fit:

large.5F704A31-5FB5-4A8A-A051-3A2B5BC26F8E.jpeg.496ddafb12eaf4821b5ee7283398eb27.jpeglarge.BBA1E100-8A63-47E0-8890-AF8EA8817E17.jpeg.9f552e9eca74e1e75b9513115b9ccc3e.jpeg

Here's the comparison between the original Arnold coupler and the new TN knuckle:

large.61AFB528-6B6A-4FC0-B558-EB8D012CD1C5.jpeg.7a5f1a89c3e1910a9ecfb667df88fcb9.jpeg

And overall:

large.9F702E70-518D-422F-8303-61CBDA8C4647.jpeg.44f229e23f5cffee2ffe4e66b05fb5d9.jpeg

Opinions?

Waste of money if you ask me, I use KATO arnold pocket couplers instead and it's about the same distance at a fraction of the cost.

• Like 1