Containers Liveries

Cat

Searched and failed to find a topic on the liveries of containers themselves.  I could use some help determining which ones are used when.

The first big question is what time frames would one typically see the liveried containers included in the B-Train Shorty sets?  Of the various sets, these are the ones we have acquired:

The Koki106 box has:
*  18A JR blue with wide beige diagonal stripe.
*  19D JRF green with earth logo.  JA.Wikipedia identifies this as 50th anniversary scheme from 2009.

The Koki50000 box has:

*  18D JR blue with bent beige diagonal stripe.

*  C20 JNR green with thin white horzontal stripe.
*  C21 JNR green with thin blue horizontal stripe.

The Koki104/106 box with the ED75 and ED75-700 locos has:

*  19D JRF green with earth logo

*  19D JRF red-brown with thin white tapered horizontal stripe.

*  C95 JR blue with yellow √ stripe.

* C20 JNR white and blue horizontal bands.

On a side note, I'm also curious when the Kokifu 50000 was withdrawn from service. 

We of course will definitely follow Rule #1 and use it just because it's so darn cute, and declare that it has been brought out for a special occasion.

KokiBoxes.jpeg

Edited by Cat

If you're aiming to model a specific timeframe, you can split up the containers you have pretty well.

In (sort of) order:

1971-2008  C20 JNR

1974-2006  C21 JNR

--- JNR/JR Era Split (1987) ---

1978-2006  C95 JR blue

1987-2010  18A JR blue
1989-2013  18D JR blue

--- Current Day (2020) ---

1996-2020+ 19D JRF red-brown

2009-2020+ 19D JRF green

Note: from what I can tell, the JNR badged C20/21 containers were used after the JR privatization.

Personally, because B-train containers are bi-directionally compatible with the "standard" clip on container system used by.. well everyone.. you can just use containers from Tomix, Kato, Hogarakadou, Tomix Truck Collection, etc.

(I almost exclusively am modeling the "current day", so 19/20 series containers are my mainstay- I especially like the UR19A sakura band containers)

Edited by defor
tweaking timetable and spelling.
  • Thanks 1

Another thing to consider is that other brands' containers are almost always one piece for the top, so they don't have the molding seams (if you don't putty and paint the Bandai ones).

Thank you, @defor!

We do have some other brand containers, and will be getting more.  One-piece and fully decorated is a big plus. 

Roxanne wants to use some of these Bandai ones too; but since I'll be the one doing the puttying, touch up painting, and decalling, I'll try to get away with just doing a select assortment.
:3

We're modelling primarily mid-2010s, as our whole Ibaraki Shorty project started with the Kashima Oarai Line's Girls und Panzer wrapping cars.  But willing to slide a bit in either direction — sakura line containers are on the list for when they come back into stock.

Kato's 5-set are definitely nice, but Tomix apparently has their version up for preorder now (August 31 release), so you might be able to get in on that if you're not worried about numbering (or just want a few)

Yes, we have the Tomix set on order with HLJ.  Just a few of any of the fun types is plenty, we have Shorty layout sized freight yards!

I've also had some issues pulling longer trains (I'd like to be able to do 6-cars reliably) with the different motors, but have had at least some luck in adding extra weight to the engines in the form of lead sheets cut to fill any available space and increase traction.

• Like 1