E235-1000 series for the Yokosuka/Sobu Line

trainsforever8

trainsforever8

Another E235 series variant to look forward to would be the ones that could eventually replace the JR E231-800 series that do through running with the Tokyo Metro Tozai line. There are a lot of lines where I can picture the E235 series taking over, which other lines do you guys think are the most likely to receive them next? 

4 hours ago, trainsforever8 said:

Another E235 series variant to look forward to would be the ones that could eventually replace the JR E231-800 series that do through running with the Tokyo Metro Tozai line. There are a lot of lines where I can picture the E235 series taking over, which other lines do you guys think are the most likely to receive them next? 

The current E235 series has a wide body variant only. A narrow body variant seems unlikely until really needed and narrow body E231-s are harder to relocate, so i think many pre E231 trains will be replaced or relocated first. Also it's not out of the question to have a newer E237 series with cool new features before all this could happen.

5 hours ago, trainsforever8 said:

Excluding the lines where the services are mainly done by E233 series trains (Chuo, Keihin-Tohoku, Keiyo, Yokohama, Saikyo and Nambu Lines), those with certain future stock status (Yamanote Line using only E235s, Chuo-Sobu Line using E231-500s, Musashino Line using E231-0s...), and those not enough important to justify a direct rolling stock replacement (such as the Tsurumi line) we're left with the following possibilities:

Tokaido Line, Shonan-Shinjuku Line: Unlikely

Service is already done by up-to-date E233-3000s (2015) and mostly by updated E231-1000s (2000).

Joban Line, Narita Line (1500v DC Ueno-Toride Local Service): Likely

Service is done by E231-0s  (2002), wich could be replaced by either a new batch of E531 series trains or by the E235.

Displaced trainsets could be transferred to the Sagami Line or other minor lines where they would be replacing the early-2000s rebuilt 205 series stock.

Utsunomiya Line, Takasaki Line (Tokaido Line group "Branches"): Very Unlikely

Not enough "central" or busy to justify a 211 series (local-only) replacement, furthemore many of the trains are inter-running Shonan-Shinjuku line E233-3000 and E231-1000 series sets.

The only stock change they could see would be the influx of E217 series trains displaced from the Yokosuka Line.

Chuo-Sobu Line (Tokyo Metro Tozai Line inter-running sets): Possibly

The E231-800 series was introduced in 2003 (just 3 years after the standard E231-0 series was delivered, altough the 209-1000 series, a similar EMU was introduced in 1999, with the standard narrow-bodied 209-0 series being delivered 6 years earlier and the wide-body 209-500 series being delivered just one year prior in 1998), meaning that it could be replaced by either a new E233 variant, or more likely, by a narrow-bodied E235 one. Furthemore there are no other up-to-date JR-East inter-running EMUs that could be cascaded to replace the E231-800.

Edited by Socimi
27 minutes ago, trainsforever8 said:

Same here, I'm still curious about the Shonan livery though. 

Probably just replace the blue with the shonan green and the tan with the orange.

I think the E235's in Yokosuka Line service may need a new nose design due to the fact it uses the underground platforms at Tokyo Station.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Sacto1985 said:

I think the E235's in Yokosuka Line service may need a new nose design due to the fact it uses the underground platforms at Tokyo Station.

As far as i know, the front emergency door is required by law only on subway trains and those who run in single-track tunnels 10km or more long (often both requirements coincide, such in the case of subway lines built after 1970 like the Tokyo Metro Chiyoda and Yurakucho Lines). 

Underground non-subway lines where JR East trains run do not require a front door as they usually are either shorter than 10km or run in two or more track tunnels such as in the case of the Yokosuka line, Keiyo Line and Musashino Line Tokyo station platforms, the Musashino Line Higashi-Murayama tunnel (4380m) or why not, the Seikan and Kanmon underseas tunnels as well.

• Like 1
On 9/3/2018 at 10:36 AM, Socimi said:

God no. Please no.

The E235 might look acceptable in the lime green livery of the Yamanote line, buth what kind monstruosity would it become with the Yokosuka colors!?

Option A                        Option B                        Option C

OH GOSH, THOSE PAINT SCHEMES HURT ME IN SO MANY WAYS!!!! Personally, I hope to see a different scheme completely, with the outline of the front panel, doors, and that rectangular piece above the doors blue, then the lower blue and cream stripes running all the way down the carbody. That way it would keep the features that make it unique, and add in some Yokosuka Line flavor.

Has anyone seen any more concept art of these trains?

trainsforever8

Testing has officially begun! Here are a few videos I found on YouTube! I love the blue colour!

• Like 6

It hurts my eyes looking at them. But I guess I just havecto get used to multi coloured microwaves, as these will be the new normal.

• Haha 2
trainsforever8
43 minutes ago, katoftw said:

It hurts my eyes looking at them. But I guess I just havecto get used to multi coloured microwaves, as these will be the new normal.

I'm okay with the E235's design, my only concern is energy consumption due to aerodynamics...aren't the E233's fronts better in that sense? I know these trains don't go fast but there certainly must be a certain level of energy saving done depending on the shape of the front.

By the time you slope the front enough for aerodynamics you have lost capacity. Most lead cars with sloping ends are longer than the intermediate cars by a meter or more.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, the E235-1000's will take over for the retiring E217's, running from the end of the Yokosuka Line at Kurihama to sometimes Kazusa-Inchinomiya on the Sotobō Line.  

• Confused 1

Looks good!  Is it just me, or does the blue seem to be significantly darker than the previous Yokosuka blue scheme?

Edited by Kiha66
3 hours ago, trainsforever8 said:

I'm okay with the E235's design, my only concern is energy consumption due to aerodynamics...aren't the E233's fronts better in that sense? I know these trains don't go fast but there certainly must be a certain level of energy saving done depending on the shape of the front.

Generally, aereodynamics become relevant around 90 Km/h, and important over 120Km/h.

The E235-1000s are designed for a maximium speed of 120Km/h (like most of the JR suburban EMUs), therefore their flat front shouldn''t be a problem.

bikkuri bahn

Too add to Socimi's explanation, unnecessary in this case streamlining (such as an extended nose) would compromise passenger capacity (or room in the driver's cabin), given that stock is built to a standard 20m length. As the Yokosuka Line is one of the most impacted lines in the JR East network in terms of rush hour crowding, you want to maximize the interior floor space for passengers.  Same reason why box seats were eliminated in this design.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

I read somewhere ("citation needed") that aerodynamic design doesn't have any real practical benefits on trains until you reach higher speeds (say 160 or 200km/h, don't remember the exact figure), and only ever served as decoration on streamlined stream engines.

48 minutes ago, railsquid said:

I read somewhere ("citation needed") that aerodynamic design doesn't have any real practical benefits on trains until you reach higher speeds (say 160 or 200km/h, don't remember the exact figure), and only ever served as decoration on streamlined stream engines.

As a practical example from my past experiences, the FS MDVC-type "flat-front" cab cars, wich are probably some the most anti-aereodynamic railway vehicles in existence, can coast at 160km/h for several kilometers (on a flat route) without losing a single Km/h.

In fact, we could easily assume that streamlining on anything used on less than 160Km/h servies, is completely superfluous, and it's done just for the looks.

It’s the momentum of the train that vastly out weighs the drag. If the train were ultra lightweight then drag would have a much larger effect on slowing the train.

jeff

maihama eki

I like the blue and cream livery on the E235.  It's interesting to see the double-deck green cars inserted.

• Like 2
trainsforever8

Now that we have seen the long distance version of this model, can't wait to see the metro-through service version. I'm guessing they will eventually replace the E231 that run on the Tozai line?