Seibu Amusement Park "Toshimaen" Closes on August 31 Ends 94 years of history

Seibu Amusement Park "Toshimaen" will close on August 31, 2020 ending a 94 year history. This is the park with the small trains allowing up to four people to ride in a train. I don't imagine there are too many amusement parks run by electric railways that survive today. This may be one of the last.

Japanese language article  https://news.railway-pressnet.com/archives/11475

Videos of the mini train.  Video by  鉄道新聞

Seibu Toshima Line driver's view from Toshimaen to Ikebukuro in Tokyo

Edited by railsquid
remove FB tracking ID
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

I'm almost certain the Toshima Line will close too...

After all, it runs exactly parallel to the Toei Oedo Line, and given that almost all Seibu services terminating at Toshimaen are local trains coming from Ikebukuro to bring people to the park, i think the park's closure will axe ridership on the line.

• Sad 1

I was just thinking that after watching the cab ride. Very close in to Tokyo for a cutback.  The land is probably more valuable as real estate than as railway right of way.

Looking at the timetable and its drill-downs, the  Toshima Line runs on a 15-16 minute headway which is equal to its one-way running time.  That would suggest two trains only.

2 hours ago, bill937ca said:

Looking at the timetable and its drill-downs, the  Toshima Line runs on a 15-16 minute headway which is equal to its one-way running time.  That would suggest two trains only.

Note that most of those trains are actually Ikebukuro Line trains wich are practically terminating at Nerima.

They're made to carry on to Toshimaen so they can reverse without causing trouble on the busy Ikebukuro Line, as Nerima station does not have "headshunt" lines.

bikkuri bahn

I don't imagine there are too many amusement parks run by electric railways that survive today

There seem to be quite a few still. Seibu has their main theme park Seibuen in Tokorozawa, Kintetsu has Spain Mura in Mie Pref, Fujikyu Highland is run by Fujikyu Railway, Keihan has Hirakata Park, and of course Oriental Land, which runs Tokyo Disneyland/Sea, has its parent company in Keisei Rlwy. There may be others, I think Meitetsu has some outdoor museums as does Tobu, including the aforementioned zoo. As running/promoting traffic generating attractions and real estate development are the bread and butter of private railways, I think we will see railway run parks continue if not increase in number. 

Toshimaen is going to redeveloped as a Harry Potter theme park supposedly, so there may be hope still for the continuance of rail service on this line. The wooden carousel El Dorado at Toshimaen is also set to be preserved, it has historical significance (built in Leipzig, 1902).

• Like 3
2 hours ago, bikkuri bahn said:

There seem to be quite a few still. Seibu has their main theme park Seibuen in Tokorozawa, Kintetsu has Spain Mura in Mie Pref, Fujikyu Highland is run by Fujikyu Railway, Keihan has Hirakata Park, and of course Oriental Land, which runs Tokyo Disneyland/Sea, has its parent company in Keisei Rlwy. There may be others, I think Meitetsu has some outdoor museums as does Tobu, including the aforementioned zoo. As running/promoting traffic generating attractions and real estate development are the bread and butter of private railways, I think we will see railway run parks continue if not increase in number.

Hakkeijima Sea Paradise in Kanagawa is part of the Seibu conglomerate; Seibu and Tokyo also have a lot of touristic interests (and historical rivalry) in the Hakone area. Even the little Chichibu Railway owns a cablecar'n'zoo operation.

I wouldn't describe Seibuen as Seibu's main theme park mind you, compared to Toshimaen it has a lot less in the way of attractions and exudes some very "run-down bubble-era" vibes, though I think they're planning some meaningful investment.

Toshimaen is going to redeveloped as a Harry Potter theme park supposedly, so there may be hope still for the continuance of rail service on this line. The wooden carousel El Dorado at Toshimaen is also set to be preserved, it has historical significance (built in Leipzig, 1902).

It will also be part-redeveloped by Tokyo as a public park/evacuation area.

• Like 2
bikkuri bahn

I wouldn't describe Seibuen as Seibu's main theme park mind you, 

Ah, admittedly the last time I was at Seibuen was circa 1986, it was pretty lively as I recall. Honestly though, it was the multiple Seibu trains I rode to get there (both the standard yellow and the raspberry red and beige "akaden") and the cute girl I was with that i remember most...

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, bikkuri bahn said:

Ah, admittedly the last time I was at Seibuen was circa 1986, it was pretty lively as I recall. Honestly though, it was the multiple Seibu trains I rode to get there (both the standard yellow and the raspberry red and beige "akaden") and the cute girl I was with that i remember most...

(checks the history) aha, it received a makeover in 1985 to compete with TDL, so would have been a lot fresher then (and probably hasn't changed much since, except for the installation of some Hello Kitty-ness). It is however just one part of a larger complex of Seibu outside/event places including golf, cycle racing and hotels (and the Seibu Dome is just over the other side of the hills, conveniently linked by the "Leo Liner". It's due for renewal and part-redevelopment of a "nostalgic 1960s town" from next year: https://travel.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1231095.html

Sounds good. Always wanted to go to the Osaka one but stayed away due to the number of visitors. This may make visiting one or the other more barable.

Guess we will probably get a lot of Harry Potter themed Seibu trains or maybe even the line being renamed to the Harry Potter line? Would be fun. 

5 hours ago, katoftw said:

Sounds good. Always wanted to go to the Osaka one but stayed away due to the number of visitors. This may make visiting one or the other more barable.

Yeah.  We went several years ago between Christmas and the New Year and the place was so crowded you couldn't do anything.  The main Harry Potter attraction had like a 5 hour waiting line.  They don't know how to do capacity control.  Really soured the whole family on wanting to go to USJ ever again.

Hopefully this new place has the money to make nice rides with the HP theme.

8 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Guess we will probably get a lot of Harry Potter themed Seibu trains or maybe even the line being renamed to the Harry Potter line? Would be fun. 

Aaargh... Mind you preferable to having Sanrio Purioland moving there.

My magic hat predicts decorated train sets from Greenmax or Microace for 50,000 yen or more.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I'll be heading that way to Hikawadai Station tomorrow and will see if the Toshimaen trains are still running. 

Grant

Older photos from 21 Jan 2020.

https://imgur.com/N5rZQX8

Nerima #6 crossing, Toshimaen Line. Second crossing from Toshimaen Station. About 150 meters from Tosshimaen Station. 

https://imgur.com/QLDTyH3

Looking from the opposite direction. Toshimaen Station towards the left. 

https://imgur.com/so8hM9t

Towards Nerima Station and Ikebukuro Station.

https://imgur.com/p7PNbRV

https://imgur.com/w57yLhZ

https://imgur.com/BnPR7ze

Leaving Toshimaen Station.

https://imgur.com/DTVrLDi

Grant. 

Thought that i shot a few more times this year.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gmat said:

I'll be heading that way to Hikawadai Station tomorrow and will see if the Toshimaen trains are still running. 

They will still be running. There are no plans to close the line.

• Like 1

Seibu runs 4 local services per hour off-peak to Toshimaen, it serves the densely populated inner section of the Seibu Ikebukuro Line up to Nerima. Having the train go on to Toshimaen likely actually helps by getting it out of the way of traffic going on to Tokorozawa and points further on, and having the turnback at Toshimaen rather than Nerima. 

• Like 3

You can add Peco to the list of companies which own amusement parks with trains. Next to their factory in Beer on the Devon coast they have "Pecorama" which includes gardens and a miniature railway, admittedly steam rather than electric. All temporarily closed for obvious reasons, apparently they're using some of the indoor visitor areas for extra factory space at the moment.

Edited by Welshbloke
Spelling