JRF Yard work @ Kira-Senju Station Sorting cars, and cargo leaving and arriving

bill937ca

Calling the engineer at the other end of the train? The rule book may not be allow them to step off the train and wave because of the volume of traffic and close clearances.

• Like 1

I'd agree with Bill on that. I also think that the train was long enough that they wouldn't be easily seen by their driver if giving hand signals. Same reason they used the radio to let their driver know that the rear of the train was past the block joint for the signal controlling the turnout.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

The curve out of Minami-Senju (actually known as: JR Freight Sumidagawa Yard) definitely prevents the driver from seeing these guards.

One is probably in comms with the driver, whilst the other in comms with the signal box to get the actual points switched?

Edited by stevenh
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, stevenh said:

...the other in comms with the signal box to get the actual points switched?

Yes, but only to tell the signaller what yard track they want to enter next. The yard throat is track-circuited, as evidenced by the trackside equipment and glue/block joints. Once the rear of the train is clear of the block joint, the track circuit for the turnout on the signaller's panel would show as unoccupied. That allows them to set up the new route into the yard by operating the turnout, then clearing the signal. 

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Cat said:

I liked that they both got to point and yell, so they didn't have to argue over whose turn it was.
: 3

By doing thay also. The are confirming with eachother the routes and signals are correct. Much in the same way two drivers in a cab confirm signals and routes when driving.

• Like 1