Tomix TNOS Layout 3 EX Development 1: Modes 13-17

sandiway

I fixed a poorly made sensor to get me from 7 TCS sensors to 8. Then by also grabbling two electric points from my regular layout, I am able to run 4 trains on a loop with two passing sidings. Total of 8 sensors/zones. There are now 5 additional modes available: modes 15 and 16 are for 4 trains. Modes 13 and 14 are for two trains. Mode 17 is for testing the layout. Shown also is the assignment of parameters sets to different trains. 

Modes 1-12 were demonstrated previously on a 7 sensor/zone layout and are also available (not shown in this video). 

Next step up would be at 14 sensors, but where to find an extra 6 TCS sensors?

• Like 4
58 minutes ago, brill27mcb said:

Now it's getting really operationally interesting!

Rich K.

Not sure what to try next with a loop. Layout 6 is similar but with only 6 zones that's is a downgrade.

Layout 8 is a loop with no passing sidings. But it supports up to 7 trains on the same track with 8 zones, probably a lot of shuffling and not interesting.

However, Layout 8 squeezed in the middle with two end loops might be usable for my large temporary layout (10m long) to divide into 8 zones so we can be running two full length Shinkansen at scale speed at the same time. Each end loop is longer than a 16 car N700A, so each one would be its own zone. The straights would be 3 zones on either side. Would like to make that happen. However,  feeder and sensor length issues might be a showstopper and tough to overcome on a 10m long course. 

Edited by sandiway
brill27mcb

I'm presently running a TNOS Layout #8 loop with trams. I squeezed it down in the middle, making two end return loops like you have, but with Mini Curves. I also twisted the twin tracks in between around, making two-track streets with bends and corners to add some scenic interest. For trams, the optimal number of things running is four in the eight blocks, so in a perfect theoretical world each block ahead of a tram, as it approaches, is just being cleared by the tram two blocks ahead, so all four generally proceed at "yellow signal" speed. Of course, things aren't perfectly synchronized in the real world, so there are stops and starts, just enough to suit my tastes while keeping a lot of moving action on the layout.

This concept is why I bought the TNOS system and the second ND-100 box - four trams operating endlessly and automatically. I have also tuned the programmable parameter sets of speeds, acceleration/deceleration rates, and reaction/stop delays (minimized these), so I can run trams and trolleys by different manufacturers and speed-match their operation. There's no way I could do this manually. I could do DCC, but then it wouldn't be automatic operation. The only other possibility, I think, would be a home-created programmed system. So TNOS fits the need very well for me.

Rich K.

16 hours ago, brill27mcb said:

I'm presently running a TNOS Layout #8 loop with trams. I squeezed it down in the middle, making two end return loops like you have, but with Mini Curves. I also twisted the twin tracks in between around, making two-track streets with bends and corners to add some scenic interest.

Sounds great. 4 trains was my goal too.

I looked through my box of spares. I have extension cables for feeders and points. But curiously, I have none for sensors. Do Tomix make extension cables for those? So I can't test my Shinkansen Layout 8 since the course is too long.

But what I can do is re-integrate the test layout into my regular layout to replace the old TCS system for the innermost loop (which ran 2 trains), usually two car trains (Eiden 900s and Randen). The trick is to not have cables all over the place spoiling the tatami. Originally I thought to put one ND Unit at either end, as the sensor cables will _just_ reach, but unfortunately, the interconnect cable for the ND Units is not long enough.

IMG_0257s.jpg

Edited by sandiway
3 hours ago, brill27mcb said:

Yes, look here under 5811:

http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/control/tomix_control_systems.htm

It's not a TCS extension cable, but rather a longer (2.5 meter) cable.

Thank!. I need to order 3 of those. I never noticed them in my visits to Osaka for some reason. Given the pricing below, I can wait.

Do they make longer ND Unit cables too? It'd be nice if ND Units could be spread 2.5m apart.

P.S.  I managed to reintegrate the layout 3 EX Development 1 into my regular layout but three ugly sensor cables crisscross the tatami. Oh well.

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 9.55.18 PM.png

Edited by sandiway

There are extension cables for the sensors with the code 5821:

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/5821.html

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s?k=tomix+5821

You could also use any type of sensor (I would recommend 5566 or 5567) and use the second connector on the sensor as extension plug. You just leave the sensor not plugged in the rail.

Regarding the Layout #3, I find this one really nice.

I installed it with 16 sensors (8 zones and 4 points) as per the TNOS manual (see page 24/25) and the TNOS update dated DEC 2019 (see page 2 of the update) and I like especially track number 23, with two trains.

Regards

Victor  

• Thanks 1

16 sensors! Beginning and end of each zone for bidirectional travel? I haven’t explored updating my TNOS card yet. No Windows PC available at home.if I go into work, I can grab a Dell laptop for this purpose.

Thanks for the tip on using an existing sensor as an extension connector! I have one other poorly manufactured 5567 that’s currently lying unused, and I could use a couple of tram TCS sensors I have lying around.

31 minutes ago, sandiway said:

16 sensors! Beginning and end of each zone for bidirectional travel? I haven’t explored updating my TNOS card yet. No Windows PC available at home.if I go into work, I can grab a Dell laptop for this purpose

Right. The TNOS updates are really good.

Personally I would like to be able to put together two layouts #3, with 1247 connections between them on each side of each stations.

And I would expect such a dual layout #3 to be driven by a single TNOS unit, with four NDs.

Dreams...

17 hours ago, MtlHobby said:

Right. The TNOS updates are really good.

Personally I would like to be able to put together two layouts #3, with 1247 connections between them on each side of each stations.

And I would expect such a dual layout #3 to be driven by a single TNOS unit, with four NDs.

Ah. The PX280. That would be pretty complex with exchanges between the two loops.

I will buy another two NDs next time I'm in Japan. But with another controller. It'll be for my Shinkansen project or for a tram system involving the Randen trains I have on my regular layout. So I could end up with 3 TNOS systems total.

Having integrated the TNOS 2 ND unit system into my regular layout replacing the old TCS system for the inner loop (two passing sidings), 4 trains (2 Eiden Kiraras and 2 Randen), and moving the old TCS controller to my outer track with one passing siding (now alternately running two Keihans), That's 12 TCS sensors total, as the old TCS controller uses 4 sensors. I'm pretty happy with having two loops independently automated and the middle loop I control manually. Had the idea two years ago when I thought about TNOS, finally now implemented. Your suggestion about co-opt spare sensors as extension connectors has my tatami totally free of criss-crossing sensor cables. Aesthetically pleasing. Hate having cables everywhere. Will be replaced by real TCS extension cables in the future. Thank you!

I also currently have two temporary outermost embankment loops (no sidings, manually controlled) added to my regular layout just outside of the tatami, repurposed out of track from my temporary 10m Shinkansen layout. So I'm basically running 4 + 1 + 2 + 2 trains on a loop stacked 5 deep. 

Probably will post a new video in a week or so if my kitchen finishes reconstruction.

Edited by sandiway

Sandiway, just a note here to let you know that I have added embedded links to your experimental TNOS layout setups to my Tomix TNOS webpage on trainweb. I updated the page today. Thanks for saving me from the guilty feeling that I should have been making videos like these, documenting the various TNOS layout plans and operating sequences!

Rich K.

• Like 1

I thought I had posted a video of my TNOS integration, but I don't see it here. For the record, it's possible to have a relatively clean install.

• Like 1

You did post this video here on JNS in a thread. I did not include it on my webpage because your earlier videos demonstrated the same TNOS layout plan and detailed all of the operating sequences for it.

This installation is definitely a clean one, using the mat to hide all the cables, and shows what can be done to do this with a temporary table-top setup. I found a way to run a single sensor or power feed cable along the underside of each Wide Tram track. There's an open slot in the center of the ends of each track piece, so I could carefully string the cable down the center of the pieces and then gently flip them over onto the table, doing this with small groups of track pieces. I did not want to use tape or anything, and found if I did it right the track sits flat on the table. Do Wide Track pieces have a slot like this?

Rich K.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, brill27mcb said:

I found a way to run a single sensor or power feed cable along the underside of each Wide Tram track. There's an open slot in the center of the ends of each track piece, so I could carefully string the cable down the center of the pieces and then gently flip them over onto the table, doing this with small groups of track pieces. I did not want to use tape or anything, and found if I did it right the track sits flat on the table. Do Wide Track pieces have a slot like this?

See enclosed pic. There's just enough gap to slot a three conductor (TCS sensor) or two conductor (point or feeder) cable. With a  craft knife, it's possible to make the channel a bit deeper. One wire only of course.

The connector for the feeder is bulky so if it's an extension, it'll have to go outside through the side and back in. I don't have the extension wire for the sensor cable so I don't know how bulky that one is, but I suspect the same is true.

IMG_0679s.jpg