TNOS Layout 2: Automatic modes 1 through 7

sandiway

It's getting more interesting when you add ND Unit #2 and up the ante to 6 zones and 6 TCS sensors.

ND Unit #2 allows for more than 4 feeders (each ND unit can only have a maximum of 4).

Similar layout to layout 1 but a tiny bit longer since there are 2 more sensors. 

I do not really like the TCS sensors that are installed inside S70 straights.

I bought a bunch probably about 2 years ago in Osaka. 

But two of them are faulty. I explain why in the video.

I am miffed as it's hard to get to visit Japan now.

On the other hand, the tram track sensors are factory built-in. But they look ugly on non-tram layouts.

Sensors are critical and must work reliably for the automatic programs as there are no backup sensors (unlike in the earlier TCS system).

What else? Oh, Layout 1 is kinda lame as there is very little overlapping operation. Layout 2, because of the extra two zones (and feeders and sensors), has more overlap and there are 7 modes!

Edited by sandiway
brill27mcb

I have had the same experience with the sensors factory-built into the 70mm straight pieces (Tomix #5559) being somewhat unreliable. I have actually found the slide-in sensors (#5558), that go in where the power connector does on any regular curve or straight track piece designed for them (not the really short filler straight pieces under 70mm), are more reliable in contacting the passing wheel flanges. You just have to make sure that they are inserted correctly (the long prong angling up high enough) and inserted completely. It seems counter-intuitive that a user-inserted sensor works better than a factory-built unit. The#5558 are also more flexible on where you can place them, for example in curved track pieces. I know that, using Tomix Wide Track, you cannot use these, so I am just mentioning it here for the record.

Welcome to the "Two ND-100 Club"!

Rich K.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, brill27mcb said:

Welcome to the "Two ND-100 Club"!

Thank you! I wish I had more sensors. Seems like one can never have enough of them lying around.

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/5558.html

Since I'm a Wide PC Track user, I didn't know about 5558. But now you got me thinking. Some wide track pieces have full width on one side only, so I guess one could use the 5558 on the other side (fine track width). Now, the question is: how wide is the 5558? In other words, is it possible the 5558 is the same width as the difference between fine track and wide track? If so, one could use them and fill the missing gaps by cutting the extra grey piece supplied to make the track a full wide track.

IMG_0091-half.jpeg

Edited by sandiway
brill27mcb

The track has to have the two adjacent "low ballast stones" areas, on either side of a tie/sleeper, for the feeder or sensor prongs to fit (from the side) under the rail. It looks like the Wide Track does not have these low areas between ties/sleepers, since it is designed to use an under-track design of track power feeder.

The 5558 sensors do fit between two parallel tracks at the normal Tomix 37mm spacing. I did this on tram layouts before they brought out the special Wide Tram sensor track. At the time, one had to use the 3076 "paving kit" to make tram track out of regular track, and I made cutouts to fit around the sensor bodies. They ended up looking like utility access plates in the street. You can see it here at about 45 seconds into the video:

You could similarly use a piece of regular Tomix track, and then place Wide Track ballast skirts on each side of it, with a gap on one side for the body of the 5558 sensor. You can insert the TCS sensor from either side of the track and it will make no difference electrically. This is not true for the track power feeders or right-hand vs. left-hand track switches/points.

Rich K.

• Like 1