Tool Organizers?

gavino200

I'm setting up my workshop. I'm using a good amount of shelving, clear boxes, and stackable project trays. But I need something to hold tools that I use most often or that, are miscellaneous or odd shaped. 

I've used Pegboard before, and am thinking of covering as much bare wall space with the stuff. I was wondering if anyone has found a solution better than this? 

This is the stuff:

https://www.uline.com/BL_8981/Pegboards?pricode=WT658&AdKeyword=pegboard&AdMatchtype=e&gclid=CjwKCAjw2a32BRBXEiwAUcugiKEA3t0YfbUJrnYPZLVmeyPjoPC-qsU3JHtS225AFjQ5QUSxtJb4BRoCx3AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Depends on how many tools you use and how large they are.  For my hobby tools I use a clear plastic desk drawer tray. I can see all the tools and it is easy to see if something is on the bottom with digging through the tray.

• Thanks 1

I grew up with loads of pegboard in my dad’s big shop and hated them! I’m sure it’s a personal preference. I’ve worked in a couple of large shops (and helped set one of them up) that used drawers exclusively And found this much more to my tastes. I have lots of small to large drawer units.

this is a new little organizer for the odd tools that are always out on the small work spaces and never want to bother putting back in drawers but at times I want them out of the way but right at hand. I’ve yet to torture test it but not bad for $10. Like bill in the past I’ve usally used a little box lid or plastic tray to corral these usual suspects but rarely vertical like coffee cup. But recently a miniaturist friend got these and loved it, so I’m giving it a whirl.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FM8M7RC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jeff

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

Depends on how many tools you use and how large they are.  For my hobby tools I use a clear plastic desk drawer tray. I can see all the tools and it is easy to see if something is on the bottom with digging through the tray.

You're clearly a better craftsman than me. I wish is could do everything with so few tools. I've acquired zillions at this stage. Mostly I blame Jeff. 😜

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

I grew up with loads of pegboard in my dad’s big shop and hated them! I’m sure it’s a personal preference. I’ve worked in a couple of large shops (and helped set one of them up) that used drawers exclusively And found this much more to my tastes. I have lots of small to large drawer units.

What I like about the pegboard is being able to see everything. I hate searching for things in drawers. All the boxes I have are categorized, and labelled, but also transparent plastic. Sometimes I forget what category I decided an item should belong to. 

What I don't like about the pegboard is that those hooks fall out all the time, and many tools end up being more "balanced" than hooked.

6 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

this is a new little organizer for the odd tools that are always out on the small work spaces and never want to bother putting back in drawers but at times I want them out of the way but right at hand. I’ve yet to torture test it but not bad for $10. Like bill in the past I’ve usally used a little box lid or plastic tray to corral these usual suspects but rarely vertical like coffee cup. But recently a miniaturist friend got these and loved it, so I’m giving it a whirl.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FM8M7RC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jeff

I should have guessed this was going to be a make-up instrument.  🤣 It does look useful though. 

• Haha 1

Yeah they do fall out or stuff gets hung up on them as your are turning away with it! There are so nes that have screw locks to hold them tight to the pegboard.

It’s also always reaching over stuff to get things and I’m tall and long armed so why I would hate it. Cleaning up the shop just felt painful with the pegboards. Drawers feel natural to me and easier to categorize, harder to do that on the pegboard spatially and harder to reorganize. Again this I think is a lot of personal preference! What ever works for you!

the only thing in the woodshop I have up on the walls (not a lot of wall space actually in the shop to use anyway) are the clamps. Those don’t fit in drawers well and it’s most compact to just store them on a rack on the wall and faster to grab.

yep makeup and nail decoration man, some cool things there!

cheers

jeff

07A3AF87-E95D-48C5-A1B8-9DA70708A4CC.jpeg

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts
6 hours ago, gavino200 said:

What I like about the pegboard is being able to see everything. I hate searching for things in drawers. All the boxes I have are categorized, and labelled, but also transparent plastic. Sometimes I forget what category I decided an item should belong to. 

What I don't like about the pegboard is that those hooks fall out all the time, and many tools end up being more "balanced" than hooked.

I should have guessed this was going to be a make-up instrument.  🤣 It does look useful though. 

Make-up is Jeff's weekend hobby 😉

• Haha 1

Yes, but I don’t paint my nails and put on the makeup to go out and look for new bits! I know you had that picture of me in your head shopping for trains in drag! But I do have more makeup tools than a valley girl! But no makeup go go with it...

jeff

I have a pegboard and some gridwall in my shop now.  My shop is too small and I've not been doing alot in it recently but both have been useful.

This is what gridwall is:  https://www.amazon.com/Store-Fixtures-05351-Grid-Black/dp/B013OS3ZLA?ref_=s9_apbd_orecs_hd_bw_b9P434V&pf_rd_r=FXJTBPT5WNEN4TTM6JE5&pf_rd_p=95ab76f8-44dd-5517-b71c-148d2984d474&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=8615569011

I have it just attached to the wall over some wood stringers to provide the space for the various hooks and shelves and stuff to attach.  It is very strong and holds clamps, power tools, and other heavy things.  The pegboard has the chisels, screwdrivers, japanese saws, etc.

(I did not buy the gridwall for this purpose but have it left over from when I used to do gun shows and set up my own little "retail" area instead of just tables for my loading presses, safetry glasses, hearing protection, and small R/C tanks I used to sell at the shows.)

• Thanks 1

I remember a woodworking magazine article where the chap had gotten those grid systems and similar modular store display systems at businesses going out of business sales and done his whole shop up in them. He has an uber cool roll around clamp rack with a huge number of clamps on it quite stunningly (guess he must do a lot of laminating!).

the thing I’m adding to the shop are high shelves off the wall. These will hold plastic boxes with lighter stuff I rarely go into. Just using the large closet wire shelves mounted to adjustable racks on the wall.

one storage I’m trying to avoid are cabinets. I have a bank built in the one wall of the garage/shop buy the previous owners and they are too shallow for decent box storage and not adjustable shelves so poor space utilization and big doors a pain, I also have a workbench that is an old kitchen island roll around I made way way back in grad school. Big cabinets in the bottom but I spend so much time on my hands and knees pulling equipment out to get the tool I want each time. It’s Murphy’s law the power tool I want is always in the back! Big drawers would work bette and maybe I’ll retrofit it! In the kitchen remodel I did 2 stacked 3’w x 12” high drawers for pots and pans and I love it! Had to use big ass drawer slides but worth it.

one happy medium between drawers and shelves is what I did for our kitchen pantry and thinking about how I might use it for the shop. We had a 7’ high by 6’w set of 12” deep cabinets built into the wall (out into the garage actually). The old ones were a pain as stuff was inevitably in the back you wanted and constant moving over things to get to them. Then you also needed to set the shelves like 3-6” higher than the items in order to see into the back some and pull stuff out so waste of space. So instead I tore them out made the cabinet 18” deep and the top 2/3rds are a bank of 6 pullout pantry shelves of different depths. The shelves just glide on bottom and top mount drawer slides so come out with one finger pull. Cabinet doors are mounted to the back shelf of a pair. This way things are only like 1 or at most 2 layers deep and can see and can set the shelves near the height of items to max out the volume. So much easier to access and find stuff! I may eventually do this under a work bench in the shop.

jeff

B0C2AEEE-B7F2-4B37-93E7-8A6F1A6F45BB.jpeg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chadbag said:

I have a pegboard and some gridwall in my shop now.  My shop is too small and I've not been doing alot in it recently but both have been useful.

Thanks Chad. Do you have a picture of how you use the gridwall?

1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

Thanks Chad. Do you have a picture of how you use the gridwall?

I'll see if I can take one.  The area is kind of discombobulated now since I have not been doing woodworking for a while.

To using drawers:

Thinking about this the IKEA kitchen cabinets with the "lots of small drawers behind one door" would be useful with the appropriate padding/internal organizing.  Similar to how the serious wrench turners organize their tools (in those really expensive metal boxes on wheels 🙂  )

I have like 6 of the smaller old craftsman rol arounds for most of the woodshop tools and also as a base for a couple of larger power tools (in the process of rearranging these in the shop for drill press, planer, bandsaw etc). They make handy tool stands as you can have a drawer or two right there that has all the stuff for that tool, plus easily move the tool out to open space for big/long stock.

I recently realized about 10% of my tools are usually out in use like 90% of the time. So I recently picked up one of these to just hold the “primary tools” I use all the time right next to me where I’m working (can move around some in the shop).

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/tool-storage/26-in-x-22-in-single-bank-blue-roller-cabinet-64434.html

it is super worth the money. On sale a lot for $250. It’s much much sturdier than all but the top end craftsman cabinets. Really is nice and it’s deep and a bit taller (makes it not useful for using with large power tools on top). I really love it and it helps me keep fewer tools spread out everywhere in the work space and less time putting things away and searching for the usual suspects. 

these are also handy and cheap drawer units from ikea

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/helmer-drawer-unit-on-casters-white-10251045/

cheers

jeff

1 hour ago, chadbag said:

To using drawers:

Thinking about this the IKEA kitchen cabinets with the "lots of small drawers behind one door" would be useful with the appropriate padding/internal organizing.  Similar to how the serious wrench turners organize their tools (in those really expensive metal boxes on wheels 🙂  )

You can't be talking about this one. It's not cheap at all. 

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/sektion-maximera-high-cabinet-w-4-doors-5-drawers-white-bodbyn-gray-s89345249/

3 hours ago, cteno4 said:

the thing I’m adding to the shop are high shelves off the wall. These will hold plastic boxes with lighter stuff I rarely go into. Just using the large closet wire shelves mounted to adjustable racks on the wall.

I like this idea. I have a bunch of clear bins containing most of the stuff I use for trains. Decoders, resistors, glues, etc. I've been stacking them in a few towers, but it's a pain rearranging them to get at the one I want. I usually leave them strewn until I have time to clean up. It would be nice to get at each one by itself. Shoulder height shelves would be perfect. 

On 5/25/2020 at 9:29 PM, cteno4 said:

Actually, the more I think of it, drawers would be good for some things. Like socket wrenches, metric versus dinosaur. Pliers, nippers etc. Think that get jumbled in a box but don't fit well on a peg board.

What kind of drawers do you use. Those mechanic shop ones?

10 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

I have like 6 of the smaller old craftsman rol arounds for most of the woodshop tools and also as a base for a couple of larger power tools (in the process of rearranging these in the shop for drill press, planer, bandsaw etc). They make handy tool stands as you can have a drawer or two right there that has all the stuff for that tool, plus easily move the tool out to open space for big/long stock.

I recently realized about 10% of my tools are usually out in use like 90% of the time. So I recently picked up one of these to just hold the “primary tools” I use all the time right next to me where I’m working (can move around some in the shop).

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/tool-storage/26-in-x-22-in-single-bank-blue-roller-cabinet-64434.html

Ah, yes. Those are the ones I was talking about. 

it is super worth the money. On sale a lot for $250. It’s much much sturdier than all but the top end craftsman cabinets. Really is nice and it’s deep and a bit taller (makes it not useful for using with large power tools on top). I really love it and it helps me keep fewer tools spread out everywhere in the work space and less time putting things away and searching for the usual suspects. 

I'm sure. But still pricey. I'm not sure I deserve it yet. 😜

these are also handy and cheap drawer units from ikea

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/helmer-drawer-unit-on-casters-white-10251045/

Thanks. I might try something like that. If I use it a lot, I might upgrade to a fancy one in about a year. 

You deserve it! Your tool pusher said so! You have this big investment in tools and they need to be protected properly! That’s what you tell your wife!

and as George Carlin said you always need more stuff to put your stuff in! Yes I have a lot of stuff...

really one of those harbor freights would hold a wall of pegboard! It will also last a lifetime or two. It really is excellent quality for the price. The pro models are like 5x the price, I’m always surprised garages will pay for them.

For the little tools I found these. Not cheap but really really great for all my small tools and sits on the workbench. I put fun foam drawer liners that helps things from rolling around

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008QVYX80/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

another small drawer unit I have for supplies mostly. Down side is they are mesh so dust can get it, but I’ve not noticed it being a big problem (maybe as it can keep floating in thru!). I have 2 of these next to each other and the plan is to mount them on a piece of ply with small wheels and frame sides, back and top with 5mm ply to make a nice cabinet out of them.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HZGCVC9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

smaller drawer units get expensive as more drawers more materials and work in the same size! But it’s a tradeoff of bigger drawers wirh lots of boxes and bags or smaller drawers. For me I’ve opted for smaller drawers.

I too hate the piles of plastic boxes that get continually restacked and moved! I have a pile with train stuff and other hobby and supplies in them. I opted to standardize on the container store clear, shoe and sweater boxes. Ive Frankensteined the amazon basic rollaround wire shelves to max out the box storage. Nice as very adjustable and roll them around when you need to move. Did I say I like wheels on things?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07281KYSS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for the larger boxes and bins I use these in the shop and basement storage

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019GNRJPU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you can even put a hunk of plywood sticking out a foot or so off a shelf at workbench height to make a workbench with shelving above and below the bench to cram a lot into a tight area.

cheers,

jeff

36 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Thanks. I might try something like that. If I use it a lot, I might upgrade to a fancy one in about a year. 

big difference between the two. The little IKEA drawers are not great for basic too storage as deeper and narrow. I use them for the odd bits and boxes in the shop and woodshop

jeff

39 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

You deserve it! Your tool pusher said so! You have this big investment in tools and they need to be protected properly! That’s what you tell your wife!

Ha. No. I don't. I really don't. 

For the little tools I found these. Not cheap but really really great for all my small tools and sits on the workbench. I put fun foam drawer liners that helps things from rolling around

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008QVYX80/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's nice. But I'm not sure I have a use for it. I keep my core set of tiny tools in plastic stackable bins. I like that I can identify contents just by looking without opening anything. I have tons of these things. They're my main storage, for common tools and works in progress. 

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-12413BLU/Plastic-Bins/Plastic-Stackable-Bins-5-1-2-x-4-x-3-Blue?pricode=WB0589&gadtype=pla&id=S-12413BLU&gclid=CjwKCAjw_LL2BRAkEiwAv2Y3SS0kIUDveVCOQYl_-X2IXpAYdiixuhYavaLlXWtM3V4-DRwuLlepVRoCOwQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

another small drawer unit I have for supplies mostly. Down side is they are mesh so dust can get it, but I’ve not noticed it being a big problem (maybe as it can keep floating in thru!). I have 2 of these next to each other and the plan is to mount them on a piece of ply with small wheels and frame sides, back and top with 5mm ply to make a nice cabinet out of them.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HZGCVC9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are nice. I like how you can see inside somewhat.

Nice as very adjustable and roll them around when you need to move. Did I say I like wheels on things?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07281KYSS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for the larger boxes and bins I use these in the shop and basement storage

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019GNRJPU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are very nice. I have similar shelves from the container store that are sturdier but much more expensive and don't have wheels. 

https://www.containerstore.com/s/metro-commercial-industrial-shelves/d?productId=10001000&q=shelves

They are basically the same, I have both. Container store are a bit heavier duty, but I’ve never had an issue with the cheaper ones, and a few I pile a load on! Also use to get them at Costco cheap. Been the main long term storage for me for 20+ years. I got the container store ones first on a very good sale. Those now store most of my train stuff!

jeff

2 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Not that particular one (and choose the cheap doors while you are at it -- you can knock $200 off that price by going with less expensive doors).  I was thinking more of the normal 30' base cabinets (the normal kitchen floor cabinets) with a bunch of the "low" drawers inside.  And a countertop on top as a work area.  

Actually, this drawer set seems like a decent offer. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-26-in-W-4-Drawer-Rolling-Cabinet-Tool-Box-Chest-in-Gloss-Black-HKST98066BK/309580736

I'm probably going to to go with a combination of pegboard, drawers, and other things. But I thought of a problem. The basement/work room isn't "finished". The walls are bare concrete. They do have bits of metal sticking out of them. I'm not sure how I would even fix pegboard to the walls, unless I were to hang them from those metal bits. 

Are these metal things sticking out of concrete walls some kind of standard thing? How are they used. I'll take a picture later when I get home. 

These are the bottom end units. I think the same factory as the craftsman were done I expect as they look identical (I looked at the store and sears when I bought the last craftsman a year or so back). Beware as some of these are very very thin metal and the drawer slides are not all that great. Quality on the bottom end units has really gone down over the last decade and price-point about the same. I went ahead as I was going to use it as a tool stand mainly and the drawers not going to be used for stuff I will go into a lot. The top needs a sheet of ply on it as it’s pretty thin gauged, you could river dance on top of the harbor freight!

also only 4 drawers means deep drawers so things like wrenches, screw drivers and a lot of your tools will have a lot of wasted space with just one layer and see and harder to get into with it deep. The point of these kinds of tool chests is to have drawers just a bit deeper than the tools in that drawer so little wasted space and easy to see in and grab a tool.

do take a look at the harbor freight if you have a second and compare (I think you have a hf near you) as it’s in a completely Nother league and will hold 2x the stuff much nicer. I’m a little disappointed with the Last two bottom end ones I got from sears, but they will do for mainly tool stands but would not want to use them as a main tool storage chest.

jeff