Post Covid-19 Tourism to Japan

Ummmm, that would get us to do some serious budget considerations for travel here!  We're modelling our layout in November for the fall foliage, and a motion for a foliage recon trip is always in order!

Getting a flight internationally will be the key.

While restrictions will ease. The general public will take years to want to travel again in larger numbers, eg 2019 levels. And airlines are not gonna run near empty planes to move 20-30 people around. So daily flight aren't gonna happen. Weekly in some cases.  And if you do get one, expect a premium to pay.

Hopefully we go back to normallity asap. But I think we have a post 9/11 situation where confidence will take time to rebuild.

Well yeah, and in reality we're going to wait for things to be safer to fly two months before we're willing to actually book a flight...

12 hours ago, toc36 said:

Came across this article.  Potential travel opportunities for Fall?  Winter?

Lots of what-ifs there... First issue is when it will be safe to allow visitors from which other countries, and under what conditions...

Personally I reckon this summer will be a good season for domestic travel without masses of overseas tourists, but more likely than not there's going to be lockdown whack-a-mole everywhere for a good while yet.

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

There is quite a bit of uncertainty about the situation but I am hoping to travel to Japan in August or September.  This may not be realistic but I can dream.

I expect the situation to be in flux for some time but at least Delta (the airline I most usually fly) has decent prices for trips to Japan.  Passenger levels might be low but they are still likely to fly as they do a lot of cargo.  And the university I work at is really well organized and provides realistic and useful information about the situation.  The leadership has been somewhat conservative in their approach and that is fine with me.

In the meantime, I am preparing for the trip - this past weekend I researched fluffy pancakes versus regular pancakes and places to go for them.  After all, you can never be too prepared.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1

I'm not sure about this. This sounds like a subsidy to the industry than anything. But it's worth comparing the price than normal if they actually go through with this.

Hopefully if our currencies don't drop like pianos falling over tower blocs

Japan to subsidise holidays in effort to revive tourism

The scheme, which could begin in late July after coronavirus travel restrictions have eased, applies to tourists who make bookings through Japanese travel agencies or directly with hotels and traditional ryokan inns.

The programme does not explicitly exclude foreign visitors, but the Japan Travel Agency said in a tweet on Wednesday that it was intended to “stimulate domestic travel demand within Japan after the Covid-19 pandemic and only cover a portion of domestic travel expenses.” The subsidies do not apply to travel expenses for visitors from overseas.

What I thought it was, the plan came up earlier in the crisis.

I'll be sure to report on any trips 😉

Edited by railsquid
  • Sad 1

Sounds like they want to get people riding the trains again and staying at local inns.  Internally directed only.  

Well yes, at this point it's the only customer base of people actually able to travel in Japan.

• Like 2

I am hoping that the flight availability to Japan goes up for the winter (over Christmas and New Years) period, as it will be time for our trip again, and we want to see my mother in law again. Her cancer seems to be growing again though she is doing ok.  We'd like to be able to see her before she really starts to deteriorate.  (If things go down hill fast all of a sudden, the wife will get on a place no matter the cost or circumstance, as long as there is a plane to get on -- I am speaking of the family).

I've been tracking flights, and there are some OK prices, but compared to the past couple years, they are a couple hundred $ more per person so far (at this point in the year).  With 4 people that adds up 🙂

roadstar_na6

I‘ve recently checked flights for fun and the only one available from Düsseldorf to Tokyo atm with LOT and a 3h stop in Warsaw for half of what they usually cost. ~600€ for both ways is really good in my eyes but with the current situation it’s all a bit too risky regarding finding places to stay and going to museums and doing other activities 😄

We‘ll just have to wait and see how everything develops I guess

5 hours ago, roadstar_na6 said:

I‘ve recently checked flights for fun and the only one available from Düsseldorf to Tokyo atm with LOT and a 3h stop in Warsaw for half of what they usually cost. ~600€ for both ways is really good in my eyes but with the current situation it’s all a bit too risky regarding finding places to stay and going to museums and doing other activities 😄

As you are coming from Germany,  for the foreseeable future the airline most likely won't let you board the flight (unless you are a Japanese citizen or "Special Permanent Resident").

Edited by railsquid
12 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Why would that be exactly?

I was checking for flights in October/November

Well you didn't say when the flights were, but as of now, non-Japanese citizens who have recently been in larges swathes of the world are not permitted to enter Japan, regardless whether flights are available.

Tony Galiani

While waiting to see what happens, I am moving forward with trip planning.  I am researching where to get pancakes, strawberry short cake and pizza.  $16 for fluffy pancakes seems a lot but I guess I should try them at least once.  And I am reviewing Paolo's video guide to hobby shops.  However, it is not all about eating and model trains - I am planning a lot of sightseeing seeing as well.  I only hope things settle down enough to allow economic recovery for everyone.  My university just announced plans to reopen for the Fall term so maybe we are starting to get past the worst of the pandemic crisis.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Haha 1

Makes sense also from a tourism perspective also. A good little bit of visitors come from the Oceania region. Well mainly Aus and NZ. So with the US, China and Euro mostly locked out. This is one baby step for some tourism operators to see a little extra business also. Still many months, if not close to a year away from seeing anything of real substance though. Domestic traveler (in any region) will make up 99.9% of tourism for the next 5-6 months.

• Like 1

There have been plenty of vistors from Thailand in recent years too, to the point you see Thai language signs together with English, Chinese and Korean in touristy areas.

• Like 2

Hallelujah (for those of us currently resident in Japan): Japan to Allow Foreigners’ Re-Entry for Humanitarian Reasons

Also from that article:

Japan, whose strict border measures are set to stay in place at least until the end of June, has said it’s in discussions with Vietnam about the resumption of business travel between the two countries. The Asahi newspaper and others have said the country is also considering loosening restrictions on travel with Thailand, Australia and New Zealand, all of which have relatively few cases of the disease.

Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi has said loosening of Japan’s borders in general is likely to start with business travel and visits by experts, followed by foreign students, with tourism likely to come later.

The country’s travel policies are set to come to the test next year when Tokyo hosts the Summer Olympics, which were pushed back by a year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

And looking ahead at those:

Koike says 'simplified' Games may be necessary to avoid cancellation

John Coates, the head of the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) inspectorate for Tokyo, has said organizers had to plan for what could be a "very different" Olympics if there were no signs of COVID-19 being eradicated.

The Yomiuri, citing government and organizing committee sources, said making Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests mandatory for all spectators -- in addition to athletes and staff -- and limiting movement in and out of the athletes village were among the options Japan would discuss with the IOC

• Like 4
Tony Galiani

I am getting the feeling that my desire to visit Japan this year will go unfulfilled.  There just seems to be some much uncertainty right now.

In my world, I see plenty of people scoffing at the social distancing and face mask requirements while on the other hand my university has established very strict protocols for the foreseeable future.  Tomorrow I will be on campus (so excited to be there even for a short time) but will definitely be wearing a mask and following restrictions.  On the other hand, the NY Times had an article this past weekend about flights full of passengers who will not wear a face masks.  Not sure how I would feel about boarding plane when most of the passengers are not complying with the protocols.

Tony Galiani

#wishfulthinking

(That is the tag my boss has given me knowing my desire to travel this year!)

• Like 1