Micro-Ace Inquiry

AhmadKane

I've been eyeing a couple of products in the local shelves. Namely two Micro Ace trains. I'd like your opinion on them, pricewise, quality and performance. 

The first I've been eyeing is a Micro Ace A9601, modelled as the Pre-war C59 steam locomotive. I've always wanted a steamer in my layout and I've been searching rather far for one. The listing said it was diecast but I had a hard time believing it to actually be a diecast model. He doesn't have track and controllers to test so he sells them as it is. The model is new, and I am a bit unsure in getting it if it's actually a diecast. I've also noted that this particular model is made since 1998 according to Hobby1999, and after learning some things from the japan auction rail modellers, I have a nagging feeling that maybe this model is not worth 7500 yen as it is listed in the shop. So I need your input guys

https://www.tokopedia.com/risinggeneration/steam-locomotive-micro-ace-a9601-diecast-miniatur-miniature-kereta .

The second one is a rather interesting one I found, the Micro Ace A0259 modelled as the 0 series shinkansen. I find it interesting as currently it is the only train set I could find in the Indonesian market. Used or new, to have more than over 12 rolling stock with 2 engines. The person on the other end seems to be a collector, and has placed a 19000 yen price on this set. I've browsed Yahoo auction and found it to be shy of a 14000 price range. Which for me is a shock, since in Hobby 1999, the price for a new one is 27000 yen. The listing proclaimed it to be "baru" or new. But I have my doubts. What do you guys think of this set? Is it worth it? Or are there other shinkansen models that are much better than these?

https://www.tokopedia.com/cyntzee/miniatur-kereta-shinkansen-kato-n-scale

I know little to nothing about Micro Ace trains, even though the first train I got was a Micro Ace. So any guidance on this matter would be helpful, thanks

I also think the MA steamers are very hit and miss. If you want a C59, Kato produced one which is a very reliable runner.

1 minute ago, Kamome said:

I also think the MA steamers are very hit and miss. If you want a C59, Kato produced one which is a very reliable runner.

Really? What are the common problems with it?

11 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

Yasuki Toyozawa's has probably the best website on Japanese steam locomotives.  He has two pages on this old release. Yes, it dates to 1998.

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~toyoyasu/mcat_2.htm

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~toyoyasu/c59n_4.htm

Most recent versions (bottom of second page) are at least partially diecast.

I see.. He mentions that a lot of the trains aren't painted and only single color.. From what I could understand via google translate, the A9601 is a tremendous runner before 2008, and it has nice details. Forgive me if I interpreted it wrongly. If it's true that the most recent versions are partially diecast, then it should be better to get the older version right?

I’m not aware of any particular issues of this exact model, but from what I’ve seen others running, some of the older MA steamers stall, derail easily, while others are fine. Seems quite a high price to risk on something 20 years old and can’t easily get spares for should it be a dud. Kato spares are purchasable so that would be a safer bet imho.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kamome said:

I’m not aware of any particular issues of this exact model, but from what I’ve seen others running, some of the older MA steamers stall, derail easily, while others are fine. Seems quite a high price to risk on something 20 years old and can’t easily get spares for should it be a dud. Kato spares are purchasable so that would be a safer bet imho.

Alright, I think I'll try to steer clear of it. 

What about the shinkansen set?

roadstar_na6

I‘m hopefully getting my D52-468 MicroAce SL shipped out from Japan next week and can test it the Monday after. I‘ll let you know how that one performed. It‘s a 2009 release I think

2 hours ago, roadstar_na6 said:

I‘m hopefully getting my D52-468 MicroAce SL shipped out from Japan next week and can test it the Monday after. I‘ll let you know how that one performed. It‘s a 2009 release I think

Would it be possible? I'll be grateful if you can

Both trains you've listed have Tomix/Kato similar versions.

Since the SL is just for getting a SL. I'd look at Tomix/Kato options instead. Don't buy MicroAce unless you have to.

2 hours ago, katoftw said:

Both trains you've listed have Tomix/Kato similar versions.

Since the SL is just for getting a SL. I'd look at Tomix/Kato options instead. Don't buy MicroAce unless you have to.

I agree.  If there is a Kato alternative over the Micro Ace for an SL, get the Kato.

I have lots of Micro Ace steam locomotives, and there is a wide variety of unique locos, but for running qualities, scale fidelity and detail, go for the modern Kato.

I have 16 SLs (5 Kato & 11 Micro Ace).  All run well but I have to agree that the modern Kato models are superb...lots of fine detail & superior slow running qualities.  I can personally recommend the Kato D51 (2016-6) & Kato tank locomotives C11 (2021) & C12 (2022-1).

13 hours ago, AhmadKane said:

What about the shinkansen set?

Avoid it like the plague, the power cars in that set are notorious for mazak rot, i.e. the diecast chassis crumbles into tiny pieces like this:

46135988922_e97f615451_z.jpg

MicroAce 0 series Shinkansen - chassis issue by Rail Squid, on Flickr

As others have said, unless you specifically want a certain MicroAce model, if there's a Kato or Tomix equivalent available, you'll be much happier with that.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, railsquid said:

Avoid it like the plague, the power cars in that set are notorious for mazak rot, i.e. the diecast chassis crumbles into tiny pieces like this:

46135988922_e97f615451_z.jpg

MicroAce 0 series Shinkansen - chassis issue by Rail Squid, on Flickr

As others have said, unless you specifically want a certain MicroAce model, if there's a Kato or Tomix equivalent available, you'll be much happier with that.

My god! How the hell did that happen? What's Mazak rot?

Edited by AhmadKane
31 minutes ago, AhmadKane said:

My god! How the hell did that happen? What's Mazak rot?

Impurities in the zinc mixture used for the chassis cause it to expand and/or become brittle with time. See e.g.:

Not all that common, but something to be aware of.

Impurities in the “pot” metal mix that end up causing corrosion with time and the metal falls apart.

its not common but has happened to some ma models.

my experience with ms steam has been good with about 15 of them. Some of the new Kato and ma steam are nicer models. Ma tends to make some of the odder models in general. It’s a smaller company so they can’t give the same bang for the buck as Tomis and Kato since smaller runs and more niche models.

jeff

2 hours ago, railsquid said:

snip

2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

snip

Noted, I'll steer clear away from these. 

It's not about the rare probability tbh, but Indonesia is such a hot and humid place. If there's a risk of Mazak rot, this weather will definitely make it more probable. In other news the MA steamer has been sold, I didn't get it

Thanks guys, you guys saved me from hazardly spending a couple of dollars from buying these.

Martijn Meerts

I have about 10 MicroAce steamers I believe, and all of them run well enough. I've only ran 1 for an extended period, which was a C62 from their Niseko set. I also have their streamlined C55, which is one of their models that has zinc rot. I haven't taken mine apart yet so not sure if mine has it, but it's very likely.

I have to say though, the reason I have that many MicroAce steamers, is because Kato and Tomix weren't doing anything decent at the time. These days I'd definitely look at either Tomix or Kato first, but MicroAce quite often do the not-so-common models, like the E10.

Also, it's not just MicroAce that has zinc rot issues, but it is more common with them. Although, "more common" in this case is still very few models. I guess the best example of other brands would be the Tomix 300 series shinkansen.

Thank you for your help guys. I think I spotted a used KATO C57, code 2013-1 for 9100 yen. A bit more pricier than a new one in Hobby 1999 and a bit more expensive than the MA, but I hope it's friendlier. Steamers are very rare and expensive in Indonesia, so I really appreciate your suggestion. 

Actually, if you don't mind, honorable Mods and Admins. While you guys are all here, I'd like to diverge a bit on a set I saw. A friend of mine was offered 

https://www.tokopedia.com/wahyucahyadi/miniatur-kereta-tomix-first-set-91014-90012

It's the Tomix 90012 first set with an additional 91014 track set. I presume it is a really old track set from tomix. The man had opened the price, to my friend, a whopping 33000 yen. Much more expensive than a new starter set. Tomix is a rarer item than KATO in Indonesia, since we don't have a distributor here for Tomix. I was wondering if you guys could tell me more about this set, and whether 33000 yen is a justifiable price. Because I'm struggling to accept it

12 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

Why buy an older set if you can get a new set for cheaper?

Exactly my point. Not only can a new KATO D51 set cost cheaper than this. But if you look around, there are used Minitrix and Fleischmanns that are worth half of this in the market. 

On another subject, thank you for the post on Zinc Rot, it's really fascinating

5 hours ago, AhmadKane said:

I was wondering if you guys could tell me more about this set, and whether 33000 yen is a justifiable price.

You’ve answered your own question as it’s definitely not worth it.

The same happens in the UK whereby because its an unusual model, they think it’s worth an extremely ridiculous amount of money, due to the lack of availability outside of Japan. This is not just private sellers but some businesses do this too. (Gaugemaster hmm hmm!) There are lots of these kinds of offers out there but steer clear of them. I’m sure you could order Tomix And Kato to Indonesia once the shipping starts getting back to normal. Plaza Japan, Hobby Search or Narichi San’s shop are far better options to get you nice new models. 

Just now, Kamome said:

Sorry something went wrong with the previous post. I couldn’t add text under the quote

Anyway, you’ve answered your own question as it’s definitely not worth it. 

The same happens in the UK whereby because its an unusual model, they think it’s worth an extremely ridiculous amount of money, even though, in most cases it’s been replaced by a newer version. There are lots of these kinds of offers out there but steer clear of them. I’m sure you could order Tomix And Kato to Indonesia once the shipping starts getting back to normal. Plaza Japan, Hobby Search or Narichi San’s shop are far better options to get you nice new models.

Noted. That's the consensus the Japanese modellers in Indonesia believe. It's simply not worth it. 

Alrighty then, at least I can inform my friend.. I also decided to not get the KATO engine, and wait for a new C62 as well. 

Thank you for your help guys