Decoder install in Kato E6 Komachi

samusi01

Hello,

This is a follow-up post regarding installation of FL12 and EM13 decoder types in the Kato E6. 

Generally, the install is very straightforward and quite similar to my other DCC friendly Shinkansen, the Dr. Yellow set. For the end cars, installation of the FL12 requires the removal of a hatch on the bottom of the car and installation of the decoder by pressing it in and forward. The lead car will require the removal of a piece of plastic used to insulate the lights when the set is coupled to an E5 set. I've included a photo of the correctly installed decoder in the lead car. 

The motor car is equally straightforward. It requires the removal of the bottom of the car, followed by the removal of one of the trucks and then installation of the EM13 decoder. I've attached a photo of the installed EM13 decoder.

Unlike my previous experience with the Dr. Yellow trainset, I destroyed one FL12 decoder during installation. I've attached a photo with a red arrow that calls out the problem. On each side of the car, brass strips run longitudinally, connecting the trucks. Under these brass strips is another piece of brass shaped like this:

<>

It's designed to allow the correct LEDs to be illuminated when running in DC operations. Unfortunately, I found that the decoder could ride up over one of the legs of the intermediate brass strip, which allows the decoder to short out.

Overall, not quite as easy as the Dr. Yellow set but far easier than installing decoders in a 500 series Shinkansen...

Sam

LeadCarDecoder.jpg

MotorCarDecoder.jpg

TrailingCarDecoder.jpg

• Like 1

@samusi01 thanks for posting this.  You mentioned the Kato 500, what decoder for motor and lighting did you use?  I haven't found it in my research.  And how was that install?  I'm also looking for decoders for Kato 0/2000, Tomix KIHA 183, and Tomix 800 Shinkansens.  I'm converting to DCC and would like to convert these.  TIA

On 2/6/2021 at 9:58 AM, cbet said:

@samusi01 thanks for posting this.  You mentioned the Kato 500, what decoder for motor and lighting did you use?  I haven't found it in my research.  And how was that install?  I'm also looking for decoders for Kato 0/2000, Tomix KIHA 183, and Tomix 800 Shinkansens.  I'm converting to DCC and would like to convert these.  TIA

This is my experience with the Kato 500 cab install. The first time I did it, I used a FL12. I think that was because I had already bought it. I assumed the model would be DCC ready which it very much isn't. I don't recommend using the FL12. By the time you have soldered leads to the brass pads, it becomes fairly cumbersome and difficult to deal with. It's also difficult to ascertain and keep straight in your head which pad is for which wire. After all that there's really no advantage to using the FL12. It's only advantage is that it fits Kato DCC ready cabs with no extra work. 

I think the one thing that I started doing with these installs that helped more than anything else was to used adhesive putty (a tiny amount) to hold the decoders, and brass rails in place while I reassembled the cab. Good luck.