EF66-104 going for scrap

The first of the EF66 2nd series "EF66-104" is now in the scrapping area at Suita Depot. Pictures on Instagram show it in the past few days with various parts removed such as headlights, snow plough, wipers, etc...

• Sad 2
Claude_Dreyfus

That is sad. I still think of them as newish locos, but I suppose they are over 30 years old now. Presumably they are all being replaced by EF210s.

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf

Sadly it was only a matter of time, it will be interesting to see in the future what the composition of the JRF DC fleet will be as the EF64-1000's and EF65-2000's are slowly being culled as well, from what I can see the current focus on is on the production of the EF210-300 variants which there are at least 18 of them in service now and it seems like they are continuing with a low yet steady rate of production of them flowing into the fleet.

• Sad 2
7 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

That is sad. I still think of them as newish locos, but I suppose they are over 30 years old now. Presumably they are all being replaced by EF210s.

yeah, I think of them as newish as well.  Kind of sad as they look sharp.

Picked up on a Japanese railfan site that EF66-106 is no longer in operation and thought to be the next in line for the chop....

• Like 1

To add to the decline in "old school" JRF locomotives, DD51-1156, the last of the Washibetsu locos brought down to Aichi from Hokkaido a few years back has now joined the scrap line at Inazawa. I think this may also be the last of the cold weather DD51 that was still in use:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/z2f100064/

Also the JRE Takasaki based DD51, which were in prime condition having been well maintained for years, have made there way to Akita for scrapping (DD51-888, DD51-897 and DD51-842). Not sure if DD51-895 is still extant or if it too is at Akita or if it has already bit the dust. DD51-842 was used as a special loco for pulling the Emperor's train in the distant past as shown by its additional stainless steel embelishments:

http://blog.diorama-box.net/    (See posts from  26/5/20 and 6/5/20).

Interesting that there are two rare 50 Series MANI in the Akita that look in good condition but that JRE may also be sending to scrap instead of to a museum...

Also at Akita is JRE's EF60-19, the last of its specific type (the only other is EF60-501 preserved at Usui Rail Park in Gunma), which is also waiting for the big chop despite being in good condition as having been used in recent years on special trains.

These classic locos (EF81, ED72, EF66, DD51, DE10, etc) are all victims of Japan's IR laws that tax capital equipment if used or not. At the end of each FY, all registered locos are subject to tax (I suspect on their original cost as opposed to current value) so to avoid paying this any surplus or little used locos are liable to be deregistered and then to get scrapped if no museum will take them. I expect that of the classic locos still around, few if any will be saved....

When in the next big earthquake, the electrical supply to the railways is disrupted then where will be the reserve of diesels to come to the rescue with their range and flexibilty (as did the Aichi DD51 in 2011)?

Edited by yakumo381
  • Like 2

Apparently DD51-895 is still extant and earning its keep with ballast trains:

Edited by yakumo381
  • Like 1

It’s funny dd51 always look so much longer to me in real life than they do as models! 

jeff

• Like 2