Prototype for everything (scenic edition)

You like heavy construction machinery in pink with white polka dots? Then Japan is the right place for you.

pink-construction-machines.thumb.jpg.5aded8d867ab7d2d1715c4aab5c15830.jpg

Edited by railsquid
typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

Want to model, in a Japanese context, one of those ridiculously outsized US market pickup trucks which add about 0.1mm to global sea levels every time their chronically underendowed driver gooses the gas? No problem, for bonus points treat the car park markings as a non-binding recommendation.

stupid-big-truck.thumb.jpg.0a3939ecca6230b0ab2d8698f01ad100.jpg

Another reason I loathe these kinds of vehicles is that they are invariably left-hand drive, which means the intellectually challenged driver can't see the centre line well, which means they tend to veer to the left, which on Japanese roads leaves very little space for anyone such as a cyclist occupying the left side of the road.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Sad to see/hear that the vehicle overrides all the cultural norms of the driver… but I expect the drivers are preselected to be way out of the norms from just wanting a vehicle like that, especially in much tighter road japan…

jeff

• Like 1

A sign adorning the demolition site on the plot behind Chez Railsquid I found while taking some "before" photos in case any demolished bits invade our airspace:

construction-worker-sign.thumb.jpg.080dfe762ab7ac05bb91a733478648da.jpg

Confirms our theory as to the origin of the workers who appear to dominate the local destruction industry.

On 5/22/2022 at 7:41 AM, railsquid said:

You like heavy construction machinery in pink with white polka dots? Then Japan is the right place for you.

I know of a certain workshop that is increasingly pink.

And I know of no women working in that facility, so...

2126252762_unknown1.thumb.png.64ed97ec63c6efcf021f679ebb47d7fc.png

1434524256_unknown1.thumb.png.b04a0bd00b2175909b7994ebbbdf74b1.png

463881367_unknown1.thumb.png.ce92deaaff5b2af69754c6d8a438c2bb.png

• Like 3
On 9/15/2022 at 10:44 PM, railsquid said:

A sign adorning the demolition site on the plot behind Chez Railsquid I found while taking some "before" photos in case any demolished bits invade our airspace:

construction-worker-sign.thumb.jpg.080dfe762ab7ac05bb91a733478648da.jpg

Confirms our theory as to the origin of the workers who appear to dominate the local destruction industry.

Is that Turkish?

21 hours ago, Giugiaro said:

2126252762_unknown1.thumb.png.64ed97ec63c6efcf021f679ebb47d7fc.png

Ooh, Portuguese metre gauge, nice! Is that one of the Henschel 2-4-6-0T Mallets in the background?

All the best,

Mark.

1 hour ago, chadbag said:

Is that Turkish?

Correct.

Annoyingly they seem to be putting in a very intensive day's work before the next typhoon (or more precisely the associated rain) bears down on us.

On 9/17/2022 at 7:56 AM, marknewton said:

Is that one of the Henschel 2-4-6-0T Mallets in the background?

Yes. Nr. E201, now in exhibition at Ermesinde Station. You can see photos of her at Entrelinhas post.

Another locomotive of the same type is used in the Vouga Line during special Christmas, Carnival and Easter runs. It doesn't run during the summer because Civil Safety is fearful to the bone that the loco will put the whole country on fire. 

This popped up in my twitter feed. So I guess it belongs here.

When you need to fill in the scenery of a backyard and you have some spare track left.

Does seem a waste of an automatic crossing.

• Like 4

There was a 15 inch gauge electric railway that ran between the six foot outer fence and a house somewhere in Japan. I think it might have moved and now is the Sakuradani Light Railway. It would be just wonderful to have squealing flanges every nice day. NOT!!!! But in terms of prototype it looks a lot like places on the Enoden. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakuradani_Light_Railway

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3

very fun photo, definitely a signature piece!

There are a couple of old Walthers buildings that would work well for this. The figures would be some work! Don’t think I’ve ever seen a rolls in n scale.

jeff

On 12/29/2022 at 6:04 PM, railsquid said:

Utility poles are a common feature of Japanese streets, but how about actual high voltage pylons?

https://goo.gl/maps/2i2SraEmNFiGKoQj7

Finally got around to checking that out, even that street has some interesting features when you examine it: used car lot, basic retail, mix of residential buildings that have relevant models & kits from the usual suspects, glasshouses, open water channel, high voltage pylon surrounded by houses. Even the Streetview car was followed by what looks like the facelifted version of my current car.