Single linkage vs. dual linkage

Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts

I was wondering if maybe someone here knows about this. I'm not sure if it's related to just freight cars, or passenger coaches as well.

I have a WAFU22000 kit, which is classified as 'single linkage', which apparently a lot of the older cars use. However, a lot of other kits (World Kougei in this case) are classified as 'dual linkage'. Recently, World Kougei also announced single axis bogies for scratch building cars, and those bogies are also classified as 'dual linkage', so it's definitely something to do with the bogies.

Does anyone know what the difference is? I've compared pictures, but I can't really see any differences. In the end, I'll just combine single and dual linkage cars within a train, but for piece of mind, I'd like to know what exactly the whole linkage thing means 🙂

marknewton

It refers to the method of attaching the springs to the wagon underframe on four-wheel wagons. I'm about to go to bed, but I can post photos or diagrams in the morning to illustrate the difference.

All the best,

Mark.

Martijn Meerts

Ah right, thanks for the info. I'd be interested in seeing the photos and / or diagrams. As always, no real hurry of course 🙂

It's probably something pretty much no one would notice, and I'm guessing it's possible to run both single and dual linkage freight cars mixed. Can't imagine all cars would be upgraded to dual linkage all at once.

Martijn Meerts

The single linkage WaFu you linked to is actually the one I have, which I started building a couple of days ago. That's why I was wondering what the difference was 🙂

Before Mark's post, I didn't really know what to look for, but now that I do, it does look like it's the shackles. Also, thanks for the link, I can read German, so don't need the translation 😉