Bandai shorty / Tomytec

arcadeperfect

arcadeperfect

Hi

I want to get a mini layout going with Bandai shorty's. But sadly the Bandai power units are crazy expensive on Ebay, and the Kato ones are not very powerful and don't have fly wheels. I was wondering if anyone's ever tried to use a Tomytec chassis in a Bandai shorty, possibly the tomytec ed-01?

Thanks!

• Like 1

You don't need a lot of power with Shorties!

You can get the Bandai power units on Yahoo Auction Japan for  about $50 if you're patient.  For proxy bidding services, when Buyee is running a promotional coupon that covers their 300¥ bidding fee they are a bit cheaper than ZenMarket; otherwise, ZenMarket works out better.

https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/998-what-did-you-order-or-the-post-deliver-n-gauge/page/450/?tab=comments#comment-206103

roadstar_na6

I have a Kato unit here and just need to make it work with my E851 and ED79 Shorty shells. As soon as I did that I‘ll post about my experience with that in the corresponding thread 🙂

arcadeperfect
1 hour ago, Cat said:

You don't need a lot of power with Shorties!

You can get the Bandai power units on Yahoo Auction Japan for  about $50 if you're patient.  For proxy bidding services, when Buyee is running a promotional coupon that covers their 300¥ bidding fee they are a bit cheaper than ZenMarket; otherwise, ZenMarket works out better.

https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/998-what-did-you-order-or-the-post-deliver-n-gauge/page/450/?tab=comments#comment-206103

Thanks for the tip!

Sadly with the current events I may have to be very patient. Have you tried to wire DCC decoders to your power units?

Haven't tried yet, but will be eventually.   Local T-Trak folks all use Digitrax, and we want to play trains with them at shows.

arcadeperfect

Your photo of your haul with a bunch of Bandai power units is giving me serious envy. Have you tried the Kato ones? They seem to be cheaper and easier to get hold of in the States.

I haven't tried them yet.  Reports from others is that their 4-wheel ones have better motors than Bandai, and Bandai's 8 wheelers are better.

We already have a stash of Bandai 4 wheelers from several years ago when they were in production.  Plan on picking up one Kato to try, and also because it fits a small brass MoW engine.

1 hour ago, arcadeperfect said:

Your photo of your haul with a bunch of Bandai power units is giving me serious envy. Have you tried the Kato ones? They seem to be cheaper and easier to get hold of in the States.

Probably old stock which are fast runners.

arcadeperfect

Sounds cool. Well if you ever decide to get rid of some locos you know someone who can take them off your hands! 😉

Katos have worked well for me. Usually one power unit for up to 4 cars. I think todd got his 16 car 0 series going with just 2 mechs on level.

have you tried any Kato mechs? You might pick one up and give it a whirl, it’s not clear when/if bandai will do more mechs.

jeff

arcadeperfect
5 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Katos have worked well for me. Usually one power unit for up to 4 cars. I think todd got his 16 car 0 series going with just 2 mechs on level.

have you tried any Kato mechs? You might pick one up and give it a whirl, it’s not clear when/if bandai will do more mechs.

jeff

One just arrived. I'll try it. I don't need particularly long trains but I do want seep gradients, so we'll see.

Edited by arcadeperfect
roadstar_na6

If I‘m not mistaken the Kato units have traction tires so there shouldn‘t be a problem with gradients

arcadeperfect
3 hours ago, roadstar_na6 said:

If I‘m not mistaken the Kato units have traction tires so there shouldn‘t be a problem with gradients

Can confirm you are not mistaken!

I actualy have two b train, one with Bandai motor unti and one with Kato.

The kato power unit had one traction tire (as Bandai) but had only a single motorized Bogie. It was also ligther than the Bandai one, so on my 4 unit train I observe tractions issues with Kato power unit.

The maximum speed seems to be higther with kato one so on 150mm radius curves you cannot stay on rails at full throttle (with kato standard power supply).

I presume a little weight in the train would be favorable but I don't tried yet.