New Uchibo line rolling stock E131 series

trainsforever8

An E233 with an E721 front?

Doesn't look bad. We'll see how it comes out in reality.

Apparently they're introducing these to enable one-man operation on most Boso area local lines.

Edited by Socimi
trainsforever8
10 hours ago, Socimi said:

An E233 with an E721 front?

Doesn't look bad. We'll see how it comes out in reality.

Apparently they're introducing these to enable one-man operation on most Boso area local lines.

I wonder why the model isn't based on the E235 series though? 

And also, does one-man operation have anything to do with the fact that the train will now have doors at either ends?

3 hours ago, trainsforever8 said:

I wonder why the model isn't based on the E235 series though? 

And also, does one-man operation have anything to do with the fact that the train will now have doors at either ends?

Well, the bodyshells of the E233 and E235 Series are quite similar (except for a few side window details)...

And, no the front door is not a requirement for one-man operation. It is required by law only if the train is to be running on subway or underground subway-like lines, but in this case the front door will just be used with the gangway when connecting multiple EMUs.

• Like 1
trainsforever8
6 hours ago, Socimi said:

Well, the bodyshells of the E233 and E235 Series are quite similar (except for a few side window details)...

And, no the front door is not a requirement for one-man operation. It is required by law only if the train is to be running on subway or underground subway-like lines, but in this case the front door will just be used with the gangway when connecting multiple EMUs.

I guess it was necessary since they intend to operate shorter trains depending on the demand?

RossDensha

Probably. Look at the E129 and E721 series for similar, modern examples.

Except these both have four car sets as well.

The 209 sets in use now are longer, from former Keihin-tohoku line operations, so they wouldn't need a gangway connection.

The new E131 train set reminds me of the E129 train sets now running in the Niigata area.

E131-500 Subseries now undergoing tests runs - these will replace the 1991-built 205-500 Series trains on the Sagami Line

• Like 3
Takahama Trainwatcher

I will now have to refer to the E131s running out of Mito as KiHa E131s to avoid confusion.