TomyTec Buses what happened?

inobu

Is there a list somewhere or some other way to tell if a bus is compatible with say a BM-02 or other motor? It seems a lot of the bus releases don't explicitly say whether they are compatible - at least on the outer packaging. I've seen some older, out-of-stock buses at some of the sites I peruse that do mark which motor they are compatible with. But, being out of stock, those aren't too helpful, haha.

Edit: Just saw another thread on here saying that the buses that aren't marked are probably incompatible with the motors. That's a shame. Another question I have though is if anyone knows what the major differences between the BM-02 and BM-02R are? Would a BM-02R bus work with a BM-02?

Edited by arkh

Thanks, that's good to know. It seems it's a bit hard to find these motors for a good price, at the moment, so just trying to make sure to do some research before I potentially buy anything.

6 hours ago, arkh said:

Is there a list somewhere or some other way to tell if a bus is compatible with say a BM-02 or other motor? It seems a lot of the bus releases don't explicitly say whether they are compatible - at least on the outer packaging. I've seen some older, out-of-stock buses at some of the sites I peruse that do mark which motor they are compatible with. But, being out of stock, those aren't too helpful, haha.

Edit: Just saw another thread on here saying that the buses that aren't marked are probably incompatible with the motors. That's a shame. Another question I have though is if anyone knows what the major differences between the BM-02 and BM-02R are? Would a BM-02R bus work with a BM-02?

There isnt exactly a thread to know which bus model goes for which motor, but in general, if there isnt a symbol that reads 'BM-XX compatible' then probably it cant be motorised. I discover most recent models does not allow the motor chassis, probably due to the fact Tomytec might be dis-continuing the system altogether.... The Official Tomytec site is by far the best data base around to my knowledge.... 

Side note though, the BM-03 seems to work with most tourist type buses, since they come with a wheel base that can be lengthen and shorten to suit the bus model... 

The R behind the number, example BM-02R, is just a newer version that is said to run better, so yes a bus model suited for BM-02 will also run with a BM-02R motor~ I'm still awaiting Tomytec to do a re-run for the chargable battery type since mine died a long time ago and it's such a pity with the new releases of those articulated bus models....

I think the bus chassis might be reissued, but with Coviv who knows when.  There was footage of a new bus chassis in one of the long Tomytec videos with the two nerds talking, well really one nerd talking and the other nodding hi hi.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Haha 1

@JR 500系 Thanks, I did end up just checking the Tomytec site to see which one's are compatible with what. It's a bit hard to peruse though unless you have something specific in mind. I wish they just had a list showing which motors work with what.

That's actually really cool about the BM-03 being adjustable. I'm not the biggest fan of tourist buses but that would be something I might want to try out. I assume that means there might be some tourist buses that aren't explicitly labeled as compatible with the BM-03 that may work then?

@bill937ca I saw that video! I do feel like that means they will come back to the bus system at some point in the (hopefully near) future. I guess all we can do is wait until an announcement, though. 

SwitchOnSwitchOff

After 2 months of searching, I just managed to snag a full Basic Set A2 on Yahoo Auctions JP. There is one other set left (Basic Set A, but not with the original bus shell) from the same seller if anyone is interested. Just under 20,000 yen. They do issue a general warning about battery contacts that might get unreliable due to original manufacturing issue, but I don't see it as a specific problem with this set.

Anyway, just thought I'd post here in case anyone wants one. I'd buy it for the double oval, but I'm stopping myself at 1 set!

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x1034860883

• Like 2

Oh wow that escalated quickly... That set used to cost like around 8000 yen and now wow just look at it.... The tracks are also picking up in pricing.... 

Glad i stocked up quite a fair bit when they are around ~  🙂 Only hope they hadnt deterioate... 

SwitchOnSwitchOff

It's crazy but this is actually a great price compared to what they go for on Amazon (thousands of $ for a set) and eBay the few times they turn up.

Tracks are very hard to find. I have scoured every cm of the internet for C103 and C66 but no, nothing 😭

My Local Hobby shop has one for 6700 yen. Maybe a good investment for a Yahoo auctions sale.

Track has not been manufactured for some time and I only tend to see token curves here and there. No bus stops or straights but I guess these can be made with some wire and some plasti-card.

I thought Tomytec were looking at updating the system and then hopefully they'll decide to release some more track again. Shame as it's a nice system other than the burning through button batteries.

Edited by Kamome

Thought I'd update the forum on this subject as I decided to contact Tomix about their bus system.

Their customer service explained that the item is indeed out of print (which I think we all knew) but there are currently no plans to reproduce or to make a new series of products.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, Kamome said:

Thought I'd update the forum on this subject as I decided to contact Tomix about their bus system.

Their customer service explained that the item is indeed out of print (which I think we all knew) but there are currently no plans to reproduce or to make a new series of products.

Thanks for the update! 

It's sad why Tomix suddenly gave up on the moving bus system... I not sure why, but i thought it was pretty well received. What looks cooler than a detailed moving train model on tracks is an equally detailed bus model moving around and calling in bus stops!

It's sad... but i'm quite happy i amass a fair bit of bus tracks so i can find quite a nice running layout... ~ The cross and T-junctions were probably the last updates to the system... And i was hopeful there will be head and tail lights in the moving bus chassis in future....  

• Sad 1
SwitchOnSwitchOff

Just to let everyone know, Hobby Search has now restocked most of the plain straights and curve sets, so get in if you need some. Might be years to never before they are available again! Got myself a couple of sets of the C66 and C103 curves that I’ve been trying to find for ages.

They’re cheap too and registered airmail is back!

• Haha 1

I’m keen to order one of the new sets to see how the new system works. Lots of warnings on retailers websites about the use of magnets near the motor could cause issues. From the initial images the steering column still uses a magnet but I wonder how the stopping system works if not using magnets. Great if the new design adds more functionality but not if it hasn’t and just makes the older products incompatible. 

• Like 1

Pretty sure the same Hall effect sensor in the bus that registers a magnetic field (magnet in the road) to pause it. Looks like they have simplified the system some removing the 2 speeds.

jeff

• Like 2

I would agree with Jeff. They have probably removed the ability to select the low/high speed using magnets in the road. Hopefully the bus stop function is still there, including the 10-second or so automatic stop?

I will order a new bus motor when it’s available separately. I don’t need any road part, but I like the fuel cell bus…

Marc

• Like 2

I quite liked the speed change magnet although there were some compatibility issues with some of the tighter corners and the BM-03 motor. It’s not the end of the world if they’ve got rid of it as occasionally the bus steering would stick to it and wheel spin. 

I do hope there is a plan to introduce new parts and functionality as it’s a nifty system and looks impressive in N scale.

It kind of feels like they went a little too far and got problematic so they retreated to a simpler system for now and hope things work more robustly and get more customers. While I love rechargeable batteries the use of the lipos in the newer busses there a while back are an issue if they don’t get recharged for a few months and can not get recharged. It didn’t looks super simple to pull the lipo battery. But I also hate tossing button cells! Inobu was able to overvoltage his and get it to charge I think, but it’s a tricky thing to not have the battery go pop and burst into flames.

didn’t occur to me that the magnets in the road could grab the steering magnet! 

cheers,

jeff

• Like 1

The moving bus system is returning, albeit the bus stop is not the same as the one before; i.e. the previous bus stops cannot be used with the new system... kinda sucks, but i guess buses calling into different bus stops are prototypical anyway so i guess it still works. Not sure about the return of the cross and T-road junctions though...

What i would really like the return is the front and rear lights... it was only produced in the 'Articulated' bus chassis which had a rechargeable battery, and mine had unfortunately broken down...  X_X 

Looking forward to the new chassis which promises to be able to fit into ALL types of bus lengths, and hopefully a smoother ride than the previous motor. I always had an issue with the motors going hey wire at the junctions...

SwitchOnSwitchOff

That’s strange. I had a look at the hi res photos of the new set and the stop looks identical down to the magnet placement. Wonder what changed. Very annoying as I was planning on using my existing stop with the new set.

Is one of the main points highlighted on the new sets.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10916292

[New Power [Flexible Power Unit]]
- Compatible with existing products with variable wheel base (excluding some models)
- The new power can replace the battery without removing the body
- Achieves the same torque and running time cost performance as the previous product (2 batteries) with 1 button battery
*The [automatic stop/departure function] and [variable speed] that were attached to the previous product are not compatible with this product.

Edited by katoftw
SwitchOnSwitchOff

Hm. Bit cryptic auto-translation. Could mean the new bus doesn't support automatic stop/start at all. That would make me lose interest.