Fixed Cameras for Layouts

NXCALE

Hi. Does anyone have experience using fixed cameras in the their layouts? Any recommended model?

I am after an camera model (wired or wireless) that makes the work but affordable if possible.

The scenario:

• A shelf layout (~6.6m) and my "control centre" (i.e. points controls, etc) is at one end of the layout.
  • I usually use the Tomix wireless controller - all ok with this one
  • However, I have also been using the RMC-M1J (i.e. VVVF One Handle Master Controller) which is a real thread but I cannot really see when a train reaches the other end.
  • Layout is DC and no future plans or interest on DCC

Goal:

• Having one camera at the other end of the layout and possibly another at the middle of the layout

Cheers,

disturbman

No experience, but I think a GoPro should be able to do this. They are widely available and are relatively affordable. I think they have both a wifi and Bluetooth connection and you should be able to stream directly to a phone or tablet.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, disturbman said:

No experience, but I think a GoPro should be able to do this. They are widely available and are relatively affordable. I think they have both a wifi and Bluetooth connection and you should be able to stream directly to a phone or tablet.

Thanks for the idea.

I already have some small screens (w/ RCA input) so I was thinking to have a set of screens at my "control centre" (aka desk / workbench)

Maybe a car rear camera or something similar could be (see below) but I haven't try one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Rear-View-Backup-Reverse-Parking-HD-Camera-Kit-for-Head-Unit-Monitor-RCA/324093818166?hash=item4b757f3536:g:82kAAOSw4HFeYLad

Cheers,

the cheap little security cameras are perfect for this. You can do wired or wireless

simple cheap wired one one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-CMOS-HD-CCTV-Camera-Security-Hidden-Spy-Recorder-6-LED-Night-Vision/274350865993?hash=item3fe095fe49:g:-icAAOSw5BNeqR5x

there are a scad out there, especially ebay from China. Fewer these days that just have a simple ntsc (rca jack) output. Most now are wifi to a phone/tablet app or thru your browser so not as just hardwired and simple. You can also get ones that have a little 2.2ghz wireless transmitter and receiver with ntsc output so you don’t have to run a wire across the room, just power to the camera/transmitter locally.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Wireless-Nanny-Micro-Camera-Transmitter-with-Receiver-Full-security-CAM/332261342323?hash=item4d5c51bc73%3Ag%3AQ7cAAOxy7S5R8qEt&LH_BIN=1

one issue with these is they tend to be pinhole style to get max focal distance so focus tends to start falling apart when things get to a foot or two of the camera. Some more adjustable have focus on the lens

if you end up wanting more you look around as some of the little security camera systems are getting dirt cheap for static cameras like this ans they have little controllers that will let you grid the screen with the inputs or pull one up to full size.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

Yes, those cameras are getting cheaper and there are several models to choose from.

Btw, thanks for the info Jeff.

That's what I was wanted to know. I will check more about the focal distance and probably get one to try.

Cheers,