Hello from Austria

c56

Hi, I am new to this forum. The reason I joined is my interest in the C56 locomotives that were used by the Japanese Army in Thailand during WWII for the Thailand-Burma Railway and the railway-system (signals, etc) they used on that track. Besides that I hope to find some Japanese native speakers who might be able to translate parts of documents I found in the web that are in Japanese, a language I cannot even read, let alone understand or speak..

• Like 2

Welcome c56,

glad you found us, there’s folks here interested in Japanese stock used elsewhere, so I think you will find some kindred spirits.

have you tried google translate on your docs with cellphone or tablet camera? They can get you a rough idea of what’s being said and worth a shot.

cheers

jeff

Hi Jeff,

thank you for your reaction to my introduction

57 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

have you tried google translate on your dcs with cellphone or tablet camera? They can get you a rough idea of what’s being said and worth a shot.

well, I haven't. but I am still trying to get things sorted out.

What I am doing at the moment is to bring sort of shape into the knowledge I have of the whole topic. On one side I have been travelling on the remains of the so-called "death railway" for more than 30 years, in particular between Kanchanaburi and Nam Tok (where the raIls end today).  I have been to several spots up to the 3-pagoda-pass that nowadays show hardly any traces of the former track, and I have tried to pay a visit to all the c56 locomotives that were in use and that are still around somewhere in Thailand. Two more are in Japan today, but I have never been there and do not intend to go (although one of my daughters wanted to visit them this April during a trip to Japan, but the damned Corona Virus cancelled her flights).

I intend to start a thread that covers the Burma-Thailand-Railway (the so-called "Death Railway"), but for the time being I shall first go through all the postings in this website (if I find any) that deal with the topic generally.

Edited by c56
disturbman
2 hours ago, c56 said:

well, I haven't. but I am still trying to get things sorted out.

It's very straightforward. Instal the app, take a picture or allow the app to use your device camera – I prefer to use a picture. The app recognizes the letters and you just have to highlight the part of the text you want translated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1