Gavino's module build

gavino200

Yes sorry carriage bolt. On the round head end you don’t need a washer as the wide head acts as a washer. The square bit bights into the wood to prevent the head from turning. It’s the shallowest head you can get on a bolt. Only issue with the carriage bolts in thinner wood is that when the square bit is cinched into the hole it can split the wood. This is another reason I would suggest using 1/4” bolts to reduce how big the square bit is.

you do want a washer on the nut side for sure.

flat head or large auger can make your countersink hole, then the pilot hole from the countersink will center your bolt hole.

ok that explains it, he is doing stuff you have to walk on! Different engineering,

jeff

• Thanks 1
Martijn Meerts
11 hours ago, gavino200 said:

What software system do you use, Martijn?

I currently use iTrain, but I'm also looking at TrainController. When I designed and built my yard I was still convinced I was going to build my own software system, so how I planned my yard to work with splitting some of the tracks into multiple sections might not work in all software. I do believe both iTrain and TrainController can handle it though, but I've not looked at it in detail.

• Thanks 1

Legs are on. First module is finished. It's rock solid. I was one bolt short but even the 3 bold leg is completely solid. I have ideas about how to refine the process for the next module, but I'm pleased with how it went. 

Thanks to all you guys who helped me with this. Special thanks to Jeff who guided me through every aspect of every step! 

pIpYEYk.jpg

t0a47YL.jpg

Me4WiXo.jpg

G8X2pHD.jpg

• Like 5

Changes for Module 2. A challenge with this module will be that it will have to fit the first module exactly. No wiggle room.

This will likely be a rectangle identical to the first module.

Lumber 

1. Price out lumber better. Find a yard I like and trust. 

2. Use trailer to haul plywood in one piece.

3. Have pieces cut long and make fine cuts myself

4. Scrutinize every piece of lumber carefully before buying

Carpentry

1. Make bolt holes and countersinks in outside frame before assembly. Use drill guide.

2. Try Jeffs method of corner alignment.

3. Consider hex bolts rather than carriage bolts. 

4. Try 1/8 diameter bolts. I chickened out and used 3/8 this time.

5. Consider glueing as well as screwing on the top.

6. Consider adding a drawer mechanism for Control center and other electronics. 

7. Use a belt sander to clear splintered edges of plywood if I can't get it cut skillfully at yard/store. 

Goals for Module 3

More complex shape. Possibly with curves. Begin searching for videos and pictures. 

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1
On 12/2/2020 at 6:54 PM, inobu said:

The picture is grainy but those are PVC sheets. They are lighter and softer than acrylic.

How thick are the sheets you use, inobu? I saw some 1/4 inch sheets in Home Depot. Nice but a little pricey. It was about $17 for what looked like a 2x4 sheet.

18 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

How thick are the sheets you use, inobu? I saw some 1/4 inch sheets in Home Depot. Nice but a little pricey. It was about $17 for what looked like a 2x4 sheet.

You have to ween yourself from Home Depot. HD is a convenience store for DIY. Contractors typically do go there unless they have too.

Those sheets are 6mm and about $70 for a 4x8 sheet depending on where you get it from. Sign supply companies normally have them.

You have to find out where the contractors go.

Inobu

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, inobu said:

You have to find out where the contractors go.

Inobu

That's a great idea. I'll start asking around. 

Great design on the tables for the modules....I wished I had made the holes for wiring larger on my layout....it would have made things a lot easier in the long run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Bernard said:

Great design on the tables for the modules....I wished I had made the holes for wiring larger on my layout....it would have made things a lot easier in the long run.

Thank you, Bernard. The design and ideas are mostly from Jeff and other members here. This is my first build. My woodwork skills are very basic, but I enjoyed it a lot and am looking forward to putting together the next module. 

I Liked the final run video of your last layout. That was a real giant and full of creative ideas. I hope you're going to build a another one in your new house and that we'll get a chance to see it grow!

Edited by gavino200

All of the modules are built now. It took me most of yesterday and all of today. Apart from some refinements in technique, they're the same basic design as the first module. A friend of mine is cutting down 20 legs from 4x4 to 3x3 just like those for the first module. I'm not going to add the legs yet when I get them. Everything stays as it is until the floor gets re-done. Until then, the build is on hold. 

For now I'm going to focus on couple of things. 

1. My Digikeijs system should arrive soon. I'll set up a basic layout on the old layout tables and start playing with blocks. 

2. I need to experiment with different track underlay and decide what works best. I like the woodland scenery but I'm sure I can just buy the same kind of foam somewhere for pennies. I also think I like cork for my hidden yard. I like how it looks, so I'll look for a big roll of the stuff to cover the table where the yard is.

3. I also need to think about how I'm going to make the layout features "modular". I want to be able to remove specific areas to work on them off the layout. I'd like to be able to do this with my station as the wiring has become a bit of a beast. But it may be too big. This is going to take some experimentation. 

8EEJo0P.jpg

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 7

Excellent, you are becoming quite the woodworker! 

when you test the sound, make sure to add the ballast or scenery material you use along the track as this is when the sound starts rumbling. Matte medium has been show to be quieter with ballast than pva.

cheers

jeff

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

Excellent, you are becoming quite the woodworker! 

when you test the sound, make sure to add the ballast or scenery material you use along the track as this is when the sound starts rumbling. Matte medium has been show to be quieter with ballast than pva.

cheers

jeff

Thanks. Yes, I need to look into this. I've read that when the glue dries it conducts sound. I wonder if there's some other way. Or some kind of caulk-like glue, that can be used.

A small extension, and a slight deviation from the previous design. An legless segment bolted between two legged modules. The three 3/8 inch bolts hold the pieces together very solidly. I think that's going to be my method for locking all the modules together. Good thing I bought a box of bolts, washers and nuts.

OcT7nO8.jpg

6xtfwYh.jpg

• Like 2