N gauge Hump Yard?

bill937ca

bill937ca

From the RMM Models You Tube page:

One of the answers that was devised to solve such a question was the "weight release line." 1 day concept 3 seconds, after trial and error, I summarized the process and actual use example until a special rail for separating freight cars was born by combining the sights without drawings. * Characteristics of the example: -The release function is integrated into one set of the self-weight release line (no other special device is required) -The vehicle manufacturer does not matter much if it is a freight car-The processing on the vehicle side is the standard equipped car with Arnold coupler No need for anything-It corresponds to a wagon with an Arnold coupler that does not have a "pin" -The freight car with a KATO coupler can also be released casually

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3

That looks fun.  With DCC operations, there is also the cheat to win approach — motorise and chip one of the containers!

Run as a consist with the locomotive.  Stop the train, uncouple, then undo the consist setting and drive the container away.
: 3

Hugh, would not want to ship anything fragile in those containers!

my layout when I was a kid had about 1\2” slope on my curved (not much space left) 5 track yard on it and I had an old Arnold electromagnetic rapido coupler decoupled and it worked like 98% of the time. Just had to get good at hitting the decoupled switch as soon as the car you want to decouple is over the decoupler and the stop the engine at the decoupler and I would get about a foot of roll to get the cars onto the desired track. I also had a little cheat pusher switcher loco that didn’t have couplers to shove cars to the ends of the yard. I had 2 small side tracks at head of the yard to store the pusher and another loco. It was quite fun, but not totally prototypical, but at the time kadees were just getting going and too expensive for my kid budget.

jeff

An interesting concept.

I incorporated a hump yard on my layout which sort of works.

At the crest, it was a simple matter to slope the track down into 5 yard tracks - the slope continues part way into each yard track to ensure that turnouts would not be fouled by a stationary wagon.  I placed a Tomix uncoupling track at the crest and use a Tomix shunt loco that features magnetic couplers.

1071446464_Humpyard1.thumb.jpg.ff9db328667384e131d72a9e3358a440.jpg

The loco would pull a wagon or group of wagons from the yard arrivals track and release them over the uncoupler.  Alternatively, I can use a rake of wagons and manually uncouple between the wagons using a 'crochet hook'.

1667391651_Humpyard2.thumb.jpg.2bcbf166e71993dd7b6bd2b2f09f4b9b.jpg

Some wagons roll better than others so at times a second wagon was required to push a sticky one further along the yard track.

An easy to make feature that added another element to train operations.

• Like 6