Work bench

gavino200

gavino200

I could have sworn there was a work bench thread. But I don't see one. If there already is one I'll delete this. 

I put together a makeshift workbench a few weeks ago and was excited about it. Unfortunately the shelves it's made from are already about to be used. And the boxes were more in demand than I expected. So I'm shopping around for a workbench. I may have the local amish guys make one. But I'm going to check the market first. 

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate input. I'm going to post things I'm considering, below.

JtsUzv2.jpg

YesNyPb.jpg

v8mefon.jpg

• Like 1
gavino200

Nice and basic. Looks sturdy

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1138-WOOD/Industrial-Packing-Tables/Industrial-Packing-Table-72-x-36-Composite-Wood-Top?pricode=WA9078&gadtype=pla&id=H-1138-WOOD&gclid=Cj0KCQjw17n1BRDEARIsAFDHFexkqfq2VcyUXFptys-QUb3y8gyqXrEcxniv2EMUxhF-0QCtBP2lKiEaAldWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jeffs desk. Husky with drawers and wheels

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-in-Adjustable-Height-Workbench-Table-with-2-Drawers-in-White-HOLT5202BJ1/307723266

Jeff's without the drawers.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Bench-Table-HOLT62XDB12/301810799?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-302101579-_-301810799-_-N

An 8 foot desk - now we're cooking with gas/ now we're sucking diesel (Euro and US versions)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-ft-Solid-Wood-Top-Workbench-G9600-US1/207131346?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-302101579-_-207131346-_-N

Harbor Freight desk with funny posts and tons of drawers.

https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-4-drawer-hardwood-workbench-63395.html

Roger's approach

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/trofast-storage-combination-black-orange-s29132359/

A solid table top to go with the Roger approach

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-72-in-Solid-Wood-Top-for-6-ft-Solid-Wood-Top-Workbench-G7200AS-US/206497844?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-302101579-_-206497844-_-N

Interesting folding workbench - not what I'm looking for but it might be useful somewhere, sometime.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hardwood-Reflections-The-Quick-Bench-4-ft-Folding-Workbench-UV-Finish-5420QBWHUB-48/307411379?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-302101579-_-307411379-_-N

Ha, I remember they've been advertising this thing since I was a kid. It looks awful. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-Workmate-425-30-in-Folding-Portable-Workbench-and-Vise-WM425/202516382?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-302101579-_-202516382-_-N

Edited by gavino200

You may have been thinking of this recent post. I meant to do a thread in the tool shed on it and forgot!

This I like as I can raise and lower it for sitting or standing and for the particular task. It’s uber solid and for $220 from home despot it’s great. I think I may replace my current taller but fixed height equipment bench in the basement with one as well as I find there is no one height suits all the mini bench tools (ie band saw, drill press, sander, etc) so being able to change the height is nice. They have longer and shorter ones, this one is the best bang for the buck and has the drawers (which you don’t have to use if you find them in the way).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-in-Adjustable-Height-Workbench-Table-with-2-Drawers-in-White-HOLT5202BJ1/307723266

of course there is always the hollow core door and cheap fold up saw horses! Always have one in the shop like this, but I may just replace it with one of the adjustable height ones for the temp project bench in the middle of the room as well! Again some projects I need low and at times nice to have high. I have a bad habit of working on top of the table saw when I need a higher surface and not the best place to work if you need the saw at the same time and I’ve put some rust spots from moisture on stuff using the table saw as a work bench I now have to buff out.

also IKEA tables and desks can be quite inexpensive and quite rigid as long as you are not banging on them. Easy to stack boxes under them at the back and plastic drawer units under them. I have a work surface in my office that’s just 18”w x 7” hollow core closet door sitting on like 5 of those cheap roll around drawer units you can get on sale cheap. Some cheap computer tables also work, many at second hand places.

i have one of these in the wood shop with the big articulating chop saw on it. It’s at harbor freight for $150, but goes on sale for like $120 pretty regularly. It’s a hard chinese maple and really decent for the price. I doubt I could source wood near this for the price let alone the time it would take to make! It’s a good one if you want a really solid bench to hammer on, but the adjustable height one above can do that as well

cheers

jeff

• Thanks 1
ranger10178
1 minute ago, gavino200 said:

That's not a bad idea. Like what I had but designated to the job.

You may be able to get them on Facebook Marketplace (if you have that in the US?) or eBay if you were looking for something cheaper. But beware they're changed the height of the units at some point in the last 16 or 17 years! (Mine are that old!)

• Haha 1
gavino200
3 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

You may have been thinking of this recent post. I meant to do a thread in the tool shed on it and forgot!

This I like as I can raise and lower it for sitting or standing and for the particular task. It’s uber solid and for $220 from home despot it’s great. I think I may replace my current taller but fixed height equipment bench in the basement with one as well as I find there is no one height suits all the mini bench tools (ie band saw, drill press, sander, etc) so being able to change the height is nice. They have longer and shorter ones, this one is the best bang for the buck and has the drawers (which you don’t have to use if you find them in the way).

That looks very nice. Adjustable height could be a huge advantage. Especially to encourage the boy - though we do have adjustable seats. 

Wheels would be great. Do they lock tight? Solid?

of course there is always the hollow core door and cheap fold up saw horses! Always have one in the shop like this, but I may just replace it with one of the adjustable height ones for the temp project bench in the middle of the room as well! Again some projects I need low and at times nice to have high. I have a bad habit of working on top of the table saw when I need a higher surface and not the best place to work if you need the saw at the same time and I’ve put some rust spots from moisture on stuff using the table saw as a work bench I now have to buff out.

I think I'll go with something like this for my "painting booth". Probably something like Roger's idea. Storage is key.

also IKEA tables and desks can be quite inexpensive and quite rigid as long as you are not banging on them. Easy to stack boxes under them at the back and plastic drawer units under them. I have a work surface in my office that’s just 18”w x 7” hollow core closet door sitting on like 5 of those cheap roll around drawer units you can get on sale cheap. Some cheap computer tables also work, many at second hand places.

Ah, yes IKEA. I might have overlooked them. I'll check them out.

i have one of these in the wood shop with the big articulating chop saw on it. It’s at harbor freight for $150, but goes on sale for like $120 pretty regularly. It’s a hard chinese maple and really decent for the price. I doubt I could source wood near this for the price let alone the time it would take to make! It’s a good one if you want a really solid bench to hammer on, but the adjustable height one above can do that as well

It looks good. I've no idea what those sticking up posts are for. They might annoy me. Also, those drawers would be handy but they sure take up space.

Yes the wheel lock well on the adjustable height bench. It’s very solid, I can sit on it and it’s rock solid.

only issue with sawhorses and legs is it negates a lot of storage under the bench. I use them for very temporary work surface, handy to have there if you need a fast work surface. One of those fold up white tables works as well, I have a 30”x5’ one in the basement I use when I need an extra surface for a bit. There are also the centipede supports that are great for an uber sturdy base for a door to sit on but they really negate storage, again for just temp use. We are using these on the new JRM layout as they are so compact to transport and really fast to set up.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BORA-Portable-Work-System-30-5-in-Compacting-2-ft-x-4-ft-Sawhorse-K100/205643104

ikea tables are fine for a hobby work bench for models and such. I’ve got one I need to finish up to replace one of the hollow core closet doors in the office. Two tables actually one will pull out as a big drawer to work at under the top table. I wouldn’t be doing hammering and such on them, but light weight, but rigid and legs screw off easily for storage, they have some adjustable height legs as well.

those vertical blocks are bench dogs to show off the bench dog holes in the top. You can stick these in to use the end bench clamp to clamp a large thing on top of the bench. Most woodworking benches like these usually have a bench clamp and the dog holes in them. This one is just a uber high bang for the buck as these usually start at like $400 and go up fast from there. I have wheels on mine, does boost the height which is ok for me being tall and using it for the chop saw stand now (it started out as a rolling work bench). I’m going to ditch the shelf and put a ply shelf along the bottom and put wings out of the feet there to mount my wheels a bit higher and out further. This will increase the shelf space, lower the bench a couple of inches and more stability using wheels.

cheers

jeff

• Thanks 1

For the actual desk/bench part I am currently (and probably will continue and expand on) the cheap IKEA table tops with the screw in legs.

In my current digs I don't have much storage wise except some wire frame shelving and a really old cheap MDF type bookshelf.  I will change that once we move.  But the IKEA tables are cheap and smooth and flat and did I say cheap?  (and also inexpensive).

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, chadbag said:

For the actual desk/bench part I am currently (and probably will continue and expand on) the cheap IKEA table tops with the screw in legs.

....  But the IKEA tables are cheap and smooth and flat and did I say cheap?  (and also inexpensive).

In all seriousness I am sitting at 4 of the smallest ones (since the smallest table tops are almost free compared to larger ones).  I have both my work computers, my soldering station, and space where I've been working on trains.   My R/C workbench (which is currently overflowing and so is storage, but before that state was reached was used regularly as a work bench) is a larger one.  We have a couple of the smallest ones upstairs with a computer and the  kids music stuff.

As Jeff said, you probably don't want to be using a sledge hammer on stuff sitting on it but for normal model train work they are fine.

• Thanks 1
gavino200
2 hours ago, chadbag said:

In all seriousness I am sitting at 4 of the smallest ones (since the smallest table tops are almost free compared to larger ones).  I have both my work computers, my soldering station, and space where I've been working on trains.   My R/C workbench (which is currently overflowing and so is storage, but before that state was reached was used regularly as a work bench) is a larger one.  We have a couple of the smallest ones upstairs with a computer and the  kids music stuff.

As Jeff said, you probably don't want to be using a sledge hammer on stuff sitting on it but for normal model train work they are fine.

Any chance of a picture Chad?

39 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Any chance of a picture Chad?

Not sure I want to do this or that you really want to see it, as at the moment it is rather messy.  (I was working yesterday to straighten it up)

IMG_3695.thumb.jpg.7d5c5df676deaafec6570eca0843d4ec.jpgIMG_3697.thumb.jpg.ff0a48721c377e9491324d44698317e6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
gavino200
45 minutes ago, chadbag said:

Not sure I want to do this or that you really want to see it, as at the moment it is rather messy.  (I was working yesterday to straighten it up)

Oh, wow. That looks like a real mad inventor's lair. Like the old guy from 'Back to the Future'. 

• Haha 1

Ikea has a damage area, if you look in the corners you will find the section where they have the table tops. They are cheaper.

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-customizable-shop-stand

They come like this28041-03.jpg

These are really good because you can bolt on drawers or doors later on. I bought 2 48x48

so I could have a 4'x8' if needed.

The best thing about these is you can disassemble them to nothing.

28041-02.jpg

Edited by inobu
  • Like 2

I would get 3 of the smaller stands to replace the plastic containers  and 2 4x4 for the middle of the floor. You can get 4x8 good plywood 

to make the table top and bottom shelf for the 4x4. They will look decent for the time being. As time progress you can make it better looking. 

Getting the quality plywood allows you to reuse it if you were to upgrade the table top.

Because the stands have the holes pre drilled you can put a face on them. Buy the nice looking Ikea doors and be done. All of it in due time.

Like I said buy things that you can re-purpose or build up.

Inobu

Edited by inobu
  • Like 1

Yeah I really second chad there, I think all in all for a decent table surface that’s pretty sturdy (I would not sit or stand in it) for general simple hobby stuff you can’t beat those IKEA tables. They allow easy storage underneath with minimal space take. Unscrew the legs and it’s put away in 60 seconds in minimal space! The plastic folding tables are never super flat, I just use it as I have one for Ttrak not that I really like it much. I should replace it with an IKEA id probably be happier when I do use it!

I’m using them in the new hobby table I am making for the office to replace a hollow core door where it’s tow of them, a big one on top and a smaller one that slides out 6” below the top as a big drawer. The drawer will be the actual hobby bench I can have current projects on and the top bench for storage of larger bits and boxes and little drawer units for parts and tools. When the drawer is out is like a big keyboard drawer (ie no front or sides to the drawer) at the height for me to work at in my office chair with long legs/knees under it. Then push in the drawer and current projects are protected in the drawer space as I’ve penchant to at times put one thing down on top of others! When the drawer is in under the drawer is area for storage of boxes and roll around drawer units.

as inbu noted always check out the ding section at IKEA. They put it at the very end of the IKEA journey. I hate that forced march and have found every way to short circuit it I can (that is if I can remember them, don’t go that often and then they redesign the path every few years just to mess with you)! But I’ve gotten great buys like a display drawer unit half priced for one small ding and I did not have to spend an hour watching MASH assembling drawers, I’ve done that for enough of my life...

of course scrounge the local second hand shops and you might find something like simple kitchen table that may be sturdier and with solid wood top with legs that can also come off for an inexpensive price. It’s one thing I always look at when I’m walk through our habitat for humanity store. That’s always a good place to walk around and just look for stuff that can be useful for workbenches and tables, etc. about 10 years back I walked thru the cabinet section and saw this odd little cabinet drawer unit. What caught my eye was 7 really nice drawers that were metal and the whole drawer and slides were super high quality. Was not your usual kitchen cabinet. $40 so I grabbed it. Turned out to be the perfect size for my old belt/disc sander which was with my drill press and band saw all residing on my old custom made computer table from grad school! that was not optimal where it was. Piece of ply on the top and bottom and some wheels and voila! I’m Still kicking myself as I gave the sander to a friend and I should have kept that drawer unit!

this is all to say workbenches and equipment stands are usually an ongoing evolution for you. I’ve had soo many work benches and equipment stands/cabinets that I realize there is probably no perfect one or system out there for eternity. I just keep being willing to evolve as I see something better or have a new need or come up with a new way I want to work. It needs to suit you and your needs and likes.

Jeff

• Like 1
gavino200

I think I'm leaning toward getting a ULINE bench. Sturdy, adjustable height, some storage that doesn't interfere with legroom

https://www.uline.com/BL_4036/Replacement-Packing-Table-Tops

I need to decide on a table top material. The options are, composite wood, steel, laminate, Maple, stainless steel, or ESD. 

I don't need Maple. And metal would feel cold. So it's between Composite wood, Laminate (not sure what that is - Plastic) or ESD (no clue what ESD is).

I'll likely get one of those inobu wheely IKEA tables later on to put my painting booth on when I rebuild it. 

• Like 1
gavino200
54 minutes ago, Martijn Meerts said:

I use an old kitchen table with a bunch of modules from https://www.hobbyzone.pl/ for storing various things. My small airbrush spray booth I've got set up on a temporary table.

Those hobbyzone modules are nice. What are you using for a spray booth these days? Cardboard box assembly, or are you beyond that?

Martijn Meerts
12 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Those hobbyzone modules are nice. What are you using for a spray booth these days? Cardboard box assembly, or are you beyond that?

An actual small spray booth. It collapses into a small handy little carrying / storage case. It has a built in fan and filter, as well as some LED lighting. It’s a bit noisy because of the fan of course, but it definitely helps with the fumes. 

• Like 1
gavino200

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, knowledge, and information. I went with a ULINE industrial packing table. 72" x 30" with a composite wood top and a back ledge to stop stuff falling off the back. 

https://www.uline.com/Grp_264/Industrial-Packing-Tables

I'm going to use some to the other suggestions for my spray booth and other various needs as my workshop grows. 

• Like 2
gavino200

It came pretty quickly. Easy to build and feels very solid. Can't wait to do some work on it. 

gOF3onM.jpg

• Like 5

Nice! Curbs so you can’t push something off the edges! Like a big diaper changing table!

jeff

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Martijn Meerts

Looks so neat and clean.. Post another picture in a week from now to get a more accurate idea 😄

• Haha 4