Rivarossi and DCC Conversions?

GDorsett

I have been told that Rivarossi motours will draw more power than a decoder can provide. Is this true or can I put a decoder into a Rivarossi model without changing the motour? For reference, I have an A.T.S.F. Type 2-10-2 in B&O with a Vanderbilt tender and it has the old motour mounted right in the cab. I can swap in an Athearn motour if I need to, but I'd like to avoid motour swaps for now if I can as it runs really good as it is right now.

Here:s the model:

0503200821.jpg

0503200822.jpg

brill27mcb

They make high-amperage motors for O scale trains, so some appropriate decoder ought to be possible. Especially with that big tender to put it in...

Rich K.

• Like 1

I think the issue stems from the condition of the motor and gears. I did one a few years ago and noticed the grease in the gears hardened. The engine

was from the late 90's. Check the linkage as well make sure they are not bent or anything. Without the motor connected to the engine it should move freely.

The other problem area was the drive shafts. They were like tubes and break easily so be careful. 

This was a shelf queen that a guy wanted DCC installed. Sound wise its dialed in believe it or not

its has a single sugar cube speaker.

Inobu

This loco does not have any issues what-so-ever. I cleaned it up and lubricated it properly after I purchased it.

And I will be putting sound in it I can find the right files. this one is quite enough. There is nothing to make any noise since there isn't any gearing.

Edited by GDorsett
23 hours ago, brill27mcb said:

They make high-amperage motors for O scale trains, so some appropriate decoder ought to be possible. Especially with that big tender to put it in...

Rich K.

I assume you mean high amperage decoders...

6 hours ago, GDorsett said:

This loco does not have any issues what-so-ever. I cleaned it up and lubricated it properly after I purchased it.

And I will be putting sound in it I can find the right files. this one is quite enough. There is nothing to make any noise since there isn't any gearing.

If that's the case you should be ok.

Just look at the wheels to determine the mileage on the motor. If the wheels are worn then pay attention to how it runs. Just like buying a high mileage car.

The high current draw is going to be from binding, load or motor core issues.

Inobu 

• Thanks 1

Wheels on this one are not worn at all. It's in remarkably good shape for it's age other than the missing bell, headlight lense, and hand rail.

If you do the baffle right you can get really good sound. The sound in the video is recorded with my iphone. No sound manipulation or anything.

Haven't heard from the guy that I did it for. Next time I come across one I'm going to keep it. 

Inobu