Digital magnifiers

cteno4

Well I finally broke down to try a digital magnifier. I’ve wanted one I can get in close with on parts past what the phone or pad cameras could and do it live to work on tiny stuff. The lighted magnifier loops do well for medium stuff but for some tiny stuff I wanted something else. I looked at usb microscopes but many were higher magnification and not high resolution when in live mode.

so after looking around I decided on this one. It’s got a 7” lcd screen at 1024x600 resolution. It says 10mp resolution in still mode, but I’ve yet to confirm that. Nice lighting but when pulled back for low magnification it does need some extra light as the light is pulled back.

its pretty shark with an ok depth of field. A few hours of battery so you don’t always have to have it plugged in all the time. Metal base and column so it’s steady.

but a new fun toy!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSTOOL-G1200-Digital-Microscope-12MP-7-Inch-Large-Color-Screen-Large-Base-LCD/164162573021?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

cheers

jeff

55723206-849F-4796-81DA-324B0EA51D80.jpeg

• Like 4
Martijn Meerts

Looks to be doing quite well considering the price. These would be good for some detailed soldering / painting, but getting used to look on the screen instead of on the model you're soldering / painting is going to take a while.

Yeah for $75 it’s quite decent. It’s a bit easier than trying to use the big lens and get the arm right me over the lens right and then the part in the focal range. Lens works well if I need just a tad of enlargement to work by for a while as you don’t have to do the brain flip at all. Even under something like this or a dissection scope you have to get use to not looking directly at your fingers but at the fingers on the screen, but I’ve worked a lot on scopes over my life it’s no issue.

this I got more for just looking closely at stuff and maybe a little work under. It’s just super easy to look at the screen with your head relaxed, bit having to use it to get the right angle. I like that I can snap pictures as well or even a movie. I’m getting older and finding I’m having to get out my magnifying up close glasses more for little bits or to read the ultra fine prints! 

whats more fun is working under compound microscopes where everything is upside down and backwards! Use to do that in grad school all the time. Funny how you can train your brain to flip like that as I would have to locate and isolate tissue culture cell clumps under the scope then switch right away out of the scope to do a couple of steps then right back under the microscope and repeat the 30 second cycle like a hundred times at a sitting. A few in the lab could never train their brain to do the flip. It also drove up the coordination in my left hand (I’m pretty much right handed but always a good left) a lot, not sure why but it may have just been the layout where the scope was and where I had to put stuff around the scope but I always wondered if it was the conscious training of the backwards coordination helped.

cheers

jeff

Oooh Waldo’s! I want the big ass ones in front of a 85” tv working on a T gauge loco! 😜

jeff