"Hida" limited express: Nagoya to Toyoma

Sacto1985

Sacto1985

YouTube (and JNS Forum) member ayokoi just posted an excellent zenmen tenbou video of a trip on the JR Central Hida limited express from Nagoya to Toyoma:

A couple of things I noticed:

1. I didn't know JR Central cut off part of the train from Takayama northwards. It must appear that JR West expects most of the tourist traffic to Takayama comes from Nagoya.

2. Note that in JR Central territory on the Takayama Line, all the tunnels have numbering. The tunnels north of Inotani Station are named, not numbered.

• Like 1

Amazing video! I love those kind of trains with the wide window in front.

I think that's the main reason to purchase a green car ticket, the chance to be in the first car on LTD express services, like this one, or Shinano or Sonic.

Das Steinkopf
16 hours ago, Sacto1985 said:

YouTube (and JNS Forum) member ayokoi just posted an excellent zenmen tenbou video of a trip on the JR Central Hida limited express from Nagoya to Toyoma:

A couple of things I noticed:

1. I didn't know JR Central cut off part of the train from Takayama northwards. It must appear that JR West expects most of the tourist traffic to Takayama comes from Nagoya.

2. Note that in JR Central territory on the Takayama Line, all the tunnels have numbering. The tunnels north of Inotani Station are named, not numbered.

I travelled from Toyama to Gero back in 2017 and there was just enough passengers to justify running the KiHa 85 as a 3 car set, when we pulled into Takayama another 4 car set was added to the train as there was quite a number of passengers waiting there in particular European tourists. I was glad to get off at Gero as the diagphrams had not been sealed properly and the diesel fumes were coming into the coach as we were originally in the lead car of the train when it left Toyama, it wasn't a pleasant experience and was to some extent nauseating, my wife took a dislike to DMU's and it wasn't until we went to Kyushu that she actually enjoyed riding in them again.

HankyuDentetsu

One of my favourite services - I've travelled Kyoto -> Gero, and separately (actually several years before) Takayama -> Nagoya on the Hida Express and in both directions it's an utter pleasure.

Happy days and fond memories of both journeys.

(Sounds like you weren't so lucky, @Das Steinkopf!)

Das Steinkopf
12 hours ago, HankyuDentetsu said:

One of my favourite services - I've travelled Kyoto -> Gero, and separately (actually several years before) Takayama -> Nagoya on the Hida Express and in both directions it's an utter pleasure.

Happy days and fond memories of both journeys.

(Sounds like you weren't so lucky, @Das Steinkopf!)

The trip from Toyama to Takayama in what was the lead car of the train was fine and we had a good view along the line, also from Gero to Gifu was really good as we were in a car mid way along the train, it was just that section from Takayama to Gero when they joined the other section to the train that caused the issue, the scenery was absolutley stunning and I would gladly take another trip along the line in the future if that is possible riding in the new HC85 Series, luckily the KiHa's operated by JR Kyushu redeemed for the KiHa 85's sins in the wifes eyes.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 1