HobbySearch Points

JR-Rail

I'm new to the general concept of ordering direct from Japan, most of my recent orders have been eBay purchases, as I've recently returned to this hobby.

I was a keen Kato enthusiast starting around 20 years ago, and at that time I had the benefit of MGSharp on my doorstep, as many will know this once great store, run by a great man (Bill) is no more - well it technically exists, but is full of second hand car parts, with the odd emu set appearing on eBay via one of the Son's accounts.

Anyway - now the background is over, my actual question is about HobbySearch points... I've made a recent order from BanzaiHobby, but have seen many items to tempt me at HobbySearch, each one staying a number of points gained:

What are the points for?

Can they be redeemed against future purchases?

Would this alone warrant spending a couple of £'s more than an item available elsewhere?

Thanks

JR,

These are basically loyality systems to get you to come back and shop there again in the future. many of the Japanese hobby shops have a point system where you get some points with each purchase, usually around 1% that you can then apply to later purchase. Some items they may exempt from points (sometimes pre orders where they may give an additional discount for the preorder and thus no points) and other times they may run a promotion of like 10x points for a short while. even amazon.co.jp does points on some items. Usually each point is worth one yen.

its not a super savings but something. Where I shop is a mix of price, availability, support, convenance and the points is at the bottom of the list. I try to support the places that have served me well and I want to keep around and exporting. I succumb now and then to amazon.co.jp when they have items I just can no longer get elsewhere or are so cheap that i wouldn’t have bought unless so cheap...

cheers

jeff

On 5/2/2020 at 7:37 PM, cteno4 said:

JR,

These are basically loyality systems to get you to come back and shop there again in the future. many of the Japanese hobby shops have a point system where you get some points with each purchase, usually around 1% that you can then apply to later purchase. Some items they may exempt from points (sometimes pre orders where they may give an additional discount for the preorder and thus no points) and other times they may run a promotion of like 10x points for a short while. even amazon.co.jp does points on some items. Usually each point is worth one yen.

its not a super savings but something. Where I shop is a mix of price, availability, support, convenance and the points is at the bottom of the list. I try to support the places that have served me well and I want to keep around and exporting. I succumb now and then to amazon.co.jp when they have items I just can no longer get elsewhere or are so cheap that i wouldn’t have bought unless so cheap...

cheers

jeff

Thanks for the info and your advice Jeff - much appreciated, and I have given Amazon.jp a look (now I have a translator installed!)

A bit of a off topic question but, after having a good luck through the JRM website I came across much inspiration and many ideas. I'm planning to start my first layout with a focus on freight and a large depot.

One thing I haven't seen before which caught my eye was the JRF coloured Brake Wagon - similar style to the Yo 8000 - Is this a off the shelf model, or a custom paint job as I can't seem to find it anywhere?

JRF Brake Wagon.jpg

JR,

glad the JRM site got you inspiration! A lot of the layout articles there are from folks on the forum here! 

that guard car is from a limited edition Tomix freight set that came out in 2006. Might find some floating around on yahoo.jp.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10044843

cheers

jeff

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

JR,

glad the JRM site got you inspiration! A lot of the layout articles there are from folks on the forum here! 

that guard car is from a limited edition Tomix freight set that came out in 2006. Might find some floating around on yahoo.jp.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10044843

cheers

jeff

Thanks Jeff, 

Yeah I noticed a few people on the website under the people gallery and layout pages, it was great reading about your club touring layout and seeing it involve from version 1-3.

As for the limited edition freight set - I have found just the one in yahoo.jp but at 4,685 yen I think this will have to go into my ever expanding rare section of my wishlist!

This is the problem I am finding with returning to this hobby after years away, many of the items I have my eye on are older production pieces, but that makes it all the more fun hunting!

That’s actually a decent price, a third of what it was new! It also has a nice dd51 in there! Nice as a mixed load of containers.

yahoo.jp and some of the stores that carry second hand like poppendetta have all sorts of older stuff to hunt thru. Buying services ad like 30% or so, but the deals you can get at times make up for it or getting that oop thing you just had to have!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
roadstar_na6

@cteno4 sorry for the small OT but does Popondetta has an online store somewhere? I‘m after something but cannot find it anywhere atm 😄

@JR-Rail less than 5000¥ for that set seems to be a really good deal, depending on condition and such tho 😉

They are here

https://popondetta.jp

topic here

https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/1520-buying-from-popondetta-by-email/

you need to use translation on their site, searching is best done with Japanese (use the title from the Japanese page of a HS item). They use to export but I don’t think Sal is an option. It’s been quite a few years since I shopped there. I only got some odd Tomytec vehicles and a couple oop used train sets there.

other option is mandrake, they have some used stuff and will export. I’ve never shopped there, but others have, see their topic 

good topic here to find this info in general

jeff

• Thanks 1
roadstar_na6

Thanks for that Jeff,

I‘ll look into their website and see if I can find what I need as I haven’t found it anywhere yet. (Apart from Amazon for twice the RRP).

I have something from Mandarake in transit to me so once I receive that I‘ll post something in the corresponding thread.

I also have something on the way from HobbyLand-Pochi via Rakuten.

EDIT: Nope, not even Popondetta has any 😄 I guess I‘ll have to wait for it to appear on YAJ. Maybe I‘m lucky as it seems that I missed at least one set by a week 😄

Edited by roadstar_na6
3 hours ago, cteno4 said:

That’s actually a decent price, a third of what it was new! It also has a nice dd51 in there! Nice as a mixed load of containers.

yahoo.jp and some of the stores that carry second hand like poppendetta have all sorts of older stuff to hunt thru. Buying services ad like 30% or so, but the deals you can get at times make up for it or getting that oop thing you just had to have!

cheers

jeff

Ah this would be due to my error of missing a number off - the actual full item I saw was 46,085 yen - hence my original disappoinment.

Having spent a little ore time on yahoo.jp and becoming more accustomed to it I have found a few full sets in good condition for around 12,000 yen.

youza! Yep that’s a stopper all right! 12000 sounds about right if it’s a bit rare, it is an older one and a limited edition (but never sure if they really limit the number all that much!).

jeff