Kato Unitram City Layout

Tonytramman

Tonytramman

long time no post!

don't think I have been idle, well okay I have been 'testing' 😇 

taken the bull by the horns and ballasted some kato, needs weathering in but actually quite pleased. 

jp33.jpg

Edited by Tonytramman
  • Like 4

This Kato is a blessing and a curse, can take it up as much as you like to re configure but that’s also the challenge, anyway have added some extra track so enlarged and moved the depot but now it’s hard to fit the control..

5162A057-D7F9-40C5-805B-B6F2E915EB7F.jpeg

2EACEC2B-E8CE-4B1F-8818-9BF155CF2712.jpeg

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Tonytramman said:

I love that you can change your mind as many times as you like with Kato.

kt2.jpg

Exactly, Tony! I was going to reply in the Dingshiden tram thread, but you nailed it in this thread. While I admire his work, I eventually would want to alter and improve the layout. So I don't compare my work to static, well-finished layouts. My N-gauge work has always been stuff just laid out on a tabletop - track, buildings, trees, etc. on colored base paper, so I can modify things or totally change the layout when I get an idea or a new "toy" to play with. I'm more of a concept and tinkering person than a realistic scale modeler. Admire his work, but feel free to just keep doing what you are doing! We all have different sub-interests in this hobby...

By the way, you can do this with Tomix, too, and it's even easier than disconnecting those large Unitram "city block" plates from one another.

Rich K.

Edited by brill27mcb
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, brill27mcb said:

Exactly, Tony! I was going to reply in the Dingshiden tram thread, but you nailed it in this thread. While I admire his work, I eventually would want to alter and improve the layout. So I don't compare my work to static, well-finished layouts. My N-gauge work has always been stuff just laid out on a tabletop - track, buildings, trees, etc. on colored base paper, so I can modify things or totally change the layout when I get an idea or a new "toy" to play with. I'm more of a concept and tinkering person than a realistic scale modeler. Admire his work, but feel free to just keep doing what you are doing! We all have different sub-interests in this hobby...

Scenery can be removable. The park in my current European tram layout is on a piece of styrene sheet.  I can pick it up  and  work on it. Not the first time I have done this. I have a Japanese suburban neighborhood from my old Kamakura train layout packed away in a plastic box. Just came across it the other day.  This is a good way to do it as things can go wrong on a big layout once the scenery is place.

• Like 1

By the way, you can do this with Tomix, too, and it's even easier than disconnecting those large Unitram "city block" plates from one another.

noted, I have yet to venture down the Tomix rabbit hole..

11 hours ago, bill937ca said:

Scenery can be removable

sure can.

tony

upon some 'testing' found that I could expand the road and move the depot giving a longer running line and use more of those lovely (expensive) road plates.

only issue now is i need more buildings...

KT4.jpg

• Like 5

Well I like the mid-size buildings. Good offerings from Tomytec and Greenmax. Kato has done some in the past, but  they are sold out.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=104&cat=rail&state=&sold=0&sortid=6&searchkey=tomytec&spage=1&ItemSeries=Building+Collection

Greenmax pre-colored structures give you a colored façade and the rest is grey molds with lots of little details.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=104&cat=rail&state=&sold=0&sortid=6&searchkey=greenmax&spage=1&ItemSeries=Pre-painted+Structure

• Thanks 1

Don't forget people. Your tram network will bankrupt if there aren't any passengers and noone will want to errect new residential buildings if there aren't any tenants. 😎

• Like 4
Tonytramman

Quick update, re worked the depot, I have now got hold of  the Kato 2 road depot building so might need another tweak. Love Kato its real fun

kt100.jpg

• Like 7
1 hour ago, brill27mcb said:

Looks like you have some prime downtown real estate ready for development.

Rich K.

Investors are always a bit hesitant when there's a T-rex roaming the neighbourhood.

• Haha 1
Tonytramman

A few pics of the current setup, pretty much finished now, still awaiting the uni-tram points but having spoken to a guy in Tokyo online and he can't even get the track there we are as good as we can get for now. 

kt10.jpg

kt11.jpg

kt12.jpg

• Like 4