Hello from Corsica

Clayton

Hello all!

My name is Clayton, I've been into N scale since the early nineties. Though I am currently in France until my wife and I can fly to the USA. I have designed my future N scale door layout using Tomix track. I will post my design once I can find the right thread.

• Like 3

Welcome Clayton!

glad you found us! Your door layout looks nice, the indents really help break up the loops. Are you collecting any Japanese trains or have a focus?

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
5 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Welcome Clayton!

glad you found us! Your door layout looks nice, the indents really help break up the loops. Are you collecting any Japanese trains or have a focus?

cheers

jeff

Thanks for the welcome Jeff! I don't have at this time any Japanese freight cars at this time, though I do have a few European ones. This will mainly be slated in the late 60's through mid eighties. Up until the merger of the Missouri Pacific and the Union Pacific. With a twist of French countryside structures. 

The main reason why I am here is that I am looking forward to using Tomix track and ask questions about power sources on the AC side for the switches and the turntable. I will be planning to run the new Digitrax Zephyr in DCC and DC unit I finish converting all of my locomotives to DCC. But this will have to with for a month or so until I am done moving.

10 minutes ago, disturbman said:

Welcome Clayton!

Were you living in Corsica? That's quite unusual for an American.

Nothing unusual about it, I married my wife here, yes I am still here for hopefully at least less than a month before we move. If I am not mistaken there's one other American here in town. I think there's about fifty of us on the island.

• Like 2

I still think it’s 🙂

L’ile de Beauté is not exactly known for its strong economic opportunities, or for being a hotspot for international retirees. It’s more of a confidential holiday spot (from a European perspective), heavily focused toward the French market. Just wonderBig what could bring people from another far-away continent there.

Here the major economy is tourism. There are many European travelers who frequent here especially the wealthy. For example the population here on the island is roughly 322,000 people. During peak season this has hit upwards 3 million or more. For example in Bonifacio the population is around 1500 last few years during Bastile Day you will have over 25000. This was prior to the outbreak. Now tourist season is in peril. 

What brought me back is I fell in love with my friend of over twenty years. I was stationed in Sardinia there in the late nineties.

Edited by MoPac
  • Like 1

Hi Clayton,

I'm a new-ish member here too, and have found plenty of knowledge, experience and inspiration already - I'm liking the look of your door layout - that is some yard on there!

• Thanks 1

Hello JR and thank you! It took me a few months to dial this door layout in. Although last night, I found out that the spare room in my future house is 10'.11" x 11'.6"    I am now reconsidering to use the initial build which was an 4x8 layout. 

My intentions for the layout was to have a sizable yard that won't overwhelm the layout and at least a double continuous loop(the idea the train traveling the same loop twice in a row would be boring). Also I wanted one interchange track so I can add and freight and locomotives prototypically as needed. Then have some spur tracks for industries. While splitting it to give two different perspectives. Here is the 4x8 version.

4x8.png

Edited by MoPac
46 minutes ago, MoPac said:

Hello JR and thank you! It took me a few months to dial this door layout in. Although last night, I found out that the spare room in my future house is 10'.11" x 11'.6"    I am now reconsidering to use the initial build which was an 4x8 layout. 

My intentions for the layout was to have a sizable yard that won't overwhelm the layout and at least a double continuous loop(the idea the train traveling the same loop twice in a row would be boring). Also I wanted one interchange track so I can add and freight and locomotives prototypically as needed. Then have some spur tracks for industries. While splitting it to give two different perspectives. Here is the 4x8 version.

4x8.png

I think I recognise the name and layout from another channel @MoPac 😃 it generated a lot of interest and went through many changes to get to this point

Are you still having visa issues delaying your return?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Lawrence said:

I think I recognise the name and layout from another channel @MoPac 😃 it generated a lot of interest and went through many changes to get to this point

Are you still having visa issues delaying your return?

Hello @Lawrence , yes this is me. No more issues with the actual visa itself now. Its just this pandemic threw a wrench in the gears of our initial move date. We did have a flight back on the 4th of April and the airline canceled it. Now, we have another flight and we have already had one hiccup. Our first flight was canceled and tonight I had to rebook the first flight to the day before. If not we  will loose the other flights. So now hopefully 🤞we aren't canceled anymore.