Sign in to follow this  
AhmadKane

Turnout Help

AhmadKane

Hello, I need help on wiring this turnout I got at an antiques store. I am still confused on how to wire this since It's different from KATO turnouts that have two cables. I am trying not to use the original Minitrix switch and would prefer, if possible, use a light switch. 

Can you help me? And maybe if there is a diagram?

273391.jpg

Martijn Meerts

Minitrix uses 2 coils rather than a single coil like Kato and Tomix use. You can't use Kato / Tomix switched for MInitrix turnouts, or any kind of on / off switch really.

White is the common wire for both coils, yellow and green are straight and diverging routes. White goes to the white output on a Minitrix transformer, yellow and green to black through a momentary switch. These things burn out rather easy, as there's no cut-off in them.

You could use 2 push buttons, or a 3-way switch that automatically returns to the center. Using 2 push buttons you'd hook up 1 pin to the transformer and the other pin to either yellow or green. A 3 way switch normally has 3 pins, 1 for black from the transformer, 1 for yellow and 1 for green.

• Thanks 2